Cold air intake

crow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Any thoughts on the benefits of a cold air intake on a 2011 chevy 6.6l duramax and if recommended what brand is everyone running...Been reading on different threads and sites and so many mixed reviews thought I'd throw it out to people who drive in Canada's conditions...Banks,air raid(not fond of the airraid due to the open housing) or any others people have had good luck withThanks

sledheadrevxp

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I put an afe cold air intake on my last diesel and it helped milage a bit. Did it the same time i straight piped it so the two together most certainly help it.

boots

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i put a afe as well and payed 75 bones at a wrecker it was still in good shape

towerrigger

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Before I installed EFI live and did my exhaust I installed an AFE dry air filter in my 09 duramax. My mileage actually dropped enough that I noticed it. Went back to the stock donaldson filter and haven't looked back. Most of the shops around here that I talked to would gladly of sold me a cold air kit but they eventually said if you really want a kit for the "bling" under the hood, I'll sell you one. But the stock filter is fine up to 500hp. IMHO save your money.

crow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Before I installed EFI live and did my exhaust I installed an AFE dry air filter in my 09 duramax. My mileage actually dropped enough that I noticed it. Went back to the stock donaldson filter and haven't looked back. Most of the shops around here that I talked to would gladly of sold me a cold air kit but they eventually said if you really want a kit for the "bling" under the hood, I'll sell you one. But the stock filter is fine up to 500hp. IMHO save your money.
Thank you for the input... I think I'll save my coin and roll the money into a set of halo headlights?

brutematt750

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't think there as good as they claim they are. I've got an afe on my cummins but not sure if I'd do it again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk while working extremely hard

sweld

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The nice part about the aftermarkets is the reusable filter. That alone has more then payed for its self. At what I think for mine at the time was $100 a crack

crow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The nice part about the aftermarkets is the reusable filter. That alone has more then payed for its self. At what I think for mine at the time was $100 a crack

That's a valid point never thought of that...I've always done them on my gas jobbies...but this is my first diesel...

Last edited:

sledhead800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i got a s&b intake on my 09 d-max never change much just smoke a lil more when u toe the pedal but like sweld said a lot less money when the time comes to replace the filter..

Beels

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

This.

Unless you're doing any major mods, the OEM setup is more than substantial. Not to mention I have little trust in some of the aftermarket filters in dusty conditions.

catman1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i got the banks air cleaner set up and a mbrp exhaust on my 07 classic dually, it helps out a bit under normal driving but when im towing it makes a huge difference, night and day. truck gets 14.5 litres per 100 km when unloaded and 16.5 litres per 100 km when towing. i imagine a single wheel truck would get even better

Slamnek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have also been tossing around the idea of an intake and exhaust on my 6.0 L gas job. Anyone out there with real world experiance?? I am hesitant to spend the money on a whole setup and not have any gains. My truck has a ton of power and pulls my holiday trailer really good, its just thirsty....very thirsty. its a 2010 gmc 2500hd 6.0L

Last edited:

crow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Problem solved got the banks intake system for Christmas....

Top Bottom