Clutching and Jetting

E-Zmoke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm on a 03' Polaris 800 (VES) Vert Edge, I will be getting my engine back this week from a complete rebuild (crankshaft failure) I decided to do the top end while i had it apart and it now has New pistons, crank (wide bearing kit) Bored, Ported, and Polished the cylinders and tunnel ported the case. V Force 3 reeds. I typically ride in Revy and the machine was all setup properly before. Will I have to change jet sizes? What about the clutch setup should this be setup professionally to avoid any malfunctions? How much Oil should i mix with the fist tank of fuel. Any special breaking in the engine advice?

powder junkie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
break it in as if it was a new sled. id say the first 200-300 miles. drive it normally but not to hard. dont go easy on it either. id throw a good litre of oil in the first tank.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm on a 03' Polaris 800 (VES) Vert Edge, I will be getting my engine back this week from a complete rebuild (crankshaft failure) I decided to do the top end while i had it apart and it now has New pistons, crank (wide bearing kit) Bored, Ported, and Polished the cylinders and tunnel ported the case. V Force 3 reeds. I typically ride in Revy and the machine was all setup properly before. Will I have to change jet sizes? What about the clutch setup should this be setup professionally to avoid any malfunctions? How much Oil should i mix with the fist tank of fuel. Any special breaking in the engine advice?

How big of overbore do you do? Whoever built the motor shold be supplying fuel information as well (SLP???). If not, then start very conservative and go down from there but I would guess yes you will have to change jets. Oil in the fuel as stated and clutching....well, who knows! With the xtra power I would think more arm weight and maybe stronger spring to begin with, but maybe run it and see what it does, probably going to overpower the old clutching like nothing. Make sure to load the motor to seat the rings. Stop often for the first little bit to ensure nothing is leaking, jetting is ok, all nuts and bolts are still tight, etc., etc.

Top Bottom