Clutch troubles on a 92 500 polaris my 12 year old sons sled

08 800 x doo

Reaction score
The bolt broke off flush with the crank tonight on the primary clutch how should i get it off
I have tried heating the centre of the clutch & hitting with a rubber hammer but could get it to move
Beleve it not we drove the sled for 5 miles after the bolt
I think i am going to heat the shaft tomorrow put a old belt on hold the break on & pull he open & see what happens
Any info would be nice

Rockwerx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The bolt broke off flush with the crank tonight on the primary clutch how should i get it off
I have tried heating the centre of the clutch & hitting with a rubber hammer but could get it to move
I think i am going to heat the shaft tomorrow put a old belt on hold the break on & pull he open & see what happens
Any info would be nice

I have an extra clutch removal tool (brand new) if you are interested in purchasing one. I am not sure if it will work with the bolt broken off in the crank though.

I have tried many broken bolt extractors over the years. Some times you need all of them because each type does the job slightly different. When I had to remove a really hard one I borrowed a Snap On bolt removal kit. What an excellent kit! It comes with some very high quaility reverse drill bits which sometimes will start to grab the bolt and reverse it out. You may have to remove the broken bolt first and then use a clutch removal tool to get the clutch off. Do not hit it to remove it as you can damage the clutch.

Good luck with your son's sled!

retiredpop

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There should be threads in the clutch that the puller threads into. You should be able to use the threaded portion of a two piece puller and a short piece of steel rod to push against the bolt that is broken in order to pop the clutch off. Then you can deal with the broken bolt. Do you have a 2 piece puller? (puller 12-164-16)

dglionna

Reaction score
Any info would be nice

friend did that to his powder special and he took it in to argyll motor sports in edmonton and they just drilled it out. so if u can drill it thats might be what u have to do. then re thread inside the crank shaft

finkous

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
as retiredpop said, the clutch has threads made for the puller, i made one by taking a bolt the threaded into the clutch and then drilled out the end of that bolt and tapped a thread into it, then bolted a smaller longer bolt with the head ground down so that it would fit down the clutch shaft... it will push up against the broken bolt and and as ya tighten up it will pop off

retiredpop

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you still haven't got the clutch off yet and don't have a puller there is something else you can try. Tip the sled on it's side with the clutch facing up. Pour some water into the clutch where the bolt goes. Get a 3/4" bolt x 16NF threads and wrap some teflon tape around the threads. Thread it in to clutch and tighten. If there is enough water trapped in there it should apply enough pressure to pop the clutch off. It would be worth a try anyway.

It would be nice to hear status on this from you 08 800 x doo.

Top Bottom