Clutch Squeak 2013 summit

New_M7_Ryder

Reaction score
Hi i just cleaned my clutch on my 2013 xm summit by removing it from the sled and cleaning it in hot soapy water. re installed and torqued to 75 ftlb. just took it for a quick run up and down the street just to warm it up before re torquing, and it developed a loud high pitched squeak that you can hear while throttling up like squeak squeak squeak ........ and so on before the belt grabs. Also when you shut the motor off the clutch squeaks. i put a new belt on just to get some miles on it before switching back to my original. i will try the old belt tomorrow and see if this eliminates the sound just wondering if any of the inner workings of the clutch could cause this sound as i never completely dismantled the clutch. just looking for some advice.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Also needs 85 ftlb torque

sent while I should be drinking twisted teas

Winter Brew

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yep, just adjust the belt height on the secondary clutch. It won't take much, maybe 1/4 turn (counterclockwise) or less on the adjuster.

adamg

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Does cleaning a clutch without pulling it apart work? Never heard of that.

Sask Sledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So wierd. Assumed '13 manial would be the same. So i wonder if 89 was too tight on 13s? Wonder whats different or if there were problems?

pistonbroke800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Does cleaning a clutch without pulling it apart work? Never heard of that.

I blow mine out with compressed air usually after every weekend of riding. Gets a ton of belt dust out. They seem to be cleaner when a do a full disassembly clean. Not sure if it really helps buy it makes sense to me so I do it

adamg

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
piston I've heard of and tried the compressed air technique, that's easy. But taking clutch off, dunking it in soapy water, then putting it back on sled?

Winter Brew

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I blow mine out with compressed air usually after every weekend of riding. Gets a ton of belt dust out. They seem to be cleaner when a do a full disassembly clean. Not sure if it really helps buy it makes sense to me so I do it

Yep, thats all I do. Both clutches every few rides. Takes about 10 seconds. Scotchbrite the primary sheaves real quick just because, if I happen to have the belt off.
Tq to 85-90, a few throttle brakes on the stand and re torque.....IMO the retorque is more important than the actual torque number used. If you are close, its good. Factory appears to torque to less than 60 and does not retorque. They sometimes fall off after the bolt is removed on a new sled that hasnt been run. If the clutch spins on the crank,(and many do on new sleds), the bolt tightens itself. Amazing a high tech company like BRPdoesn't even install the clutch properly. Lol

Top Bottom