Clutch removal made easy - water method

~Rowdy~

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Saw a video a guy from doo talk made too. Great method, however impossible for me to do alone. :( Not strong enough to yard the sled over and back up myself.

boots

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Umm nice but I thought that using an impact is hard on the engine.

Sent from my iPhone

0neoldfart

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Umm nice but I thought that using an impact is hard on the engine.

Sent from my iPhone
An impact wrench isn't good for crankshaft bearings and pressed halves, you are correct. Water trick works ok sometimes, grease is a bit better (with both it is a good idea to apply teflon tape to the threads). If all else fails, buy a puller - they are only $40, and designed to be torqued more then the stock primary bolt.

markoo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you should also clarify that with skidoo you can use the clutch bolt. All other machines you needs to find the right thread bolt. It is suppose to thread into the clutch not the crank. Impacts are bad for cranks but especially if used with a puller. With water trick it might be ok still not necsecary.

SidewaysInto3rd

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Saw a video a guy from doo talk made too. Great method, however impossible for me to do alone. :( Not strong enough to yard the sled over and back up myself.

You need an XM

that way you don't have to yard it over to take the clutch apart .. because it just works out of the box ;)

mighty1000

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Neat trick. But why would one spend all the effort of removing everything off of the primary like that just to pop that half off. If your servicing the clutch why not just leave it on if you can disassemble it that far on a doo. Other wise I say get a puller so you don't run the risk of damaging the crank or clutch bolt.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Neat trick. But why would one spend all the effort of removing everything off of the primary like that just to pop that half off. If your servicing the clutch why not just leave it on if you can disassemble it that far on a doo. Other wise I say get a puller so you don't run the risk of damaging the crank or clutch bolt.
looks like it's a splined TRA 3 in the vid, the sliding half comes off pretty easily without any tools. the TRA 5 and 7 are taper fit halves, the complete clutch has to come off and then split afterwards. lots of people have broken off or bent pullers when the clutch won't come off. the water trick is the best thing since sliced bread, you can do it without a holder and a hand wrench. the first time scares the ch!t outta you when it pops, similar to how it scared lshobie in the vid....lol.

Top Bottom