Clutch Maintenance 2014 Summit

Whitecourt_Rider

Reaction score
I just purchased the tools to remove and reinstall my clutch so I could keep it clean. I have found lots of youtube video's on how to remove the clutch and re-install it but I cant find a video on what exactly to look for while I'm in the clutch and what all to clean and what to clean it with. I have 1000k on my 14 154'' and noticed that it was a little doggy compared to my friends exact same sled when we were riding in Mcbride last year. I was clicker'd to 6 while he was on 4 just to get the same RPM. I know there could be several different issues but I thought I would start with a good cleaning.

Any Links or tips would be greatly appreciated!! I have never washed my belt in soapy water, so I will do that. I usually hose all my external clutch down with a non corrosive brake cleaner called No Flash and every 3-4 rides I usually scotch pad my sheaves.

Thanks

P.s. Do I need those 3 plates to hold those clutch buttons or will I be ok?

http://www.google.ca/url?sa=i&rct=j...RxJ_m4Be_MxZfcm_flc3cwOg&ust=1417030459124264

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It will be easier to re-assemble it with the button holders but not necessary, you may just need another set of hands to help and you don't need it for the dis-assembly. Check for wear on the ramps and play in the rollers as well as play in the clutch arm bushings and the main bushing between the sliding sheave and fixed sheave. BRP has an affordable rebuild kit now.

RGM

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
P.s. Do I need those 3 plates to hold those clutch buttons or will I be ok?

For the price of them it not worth trying to do it without them. It would be almost impossible to do it by yourself.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Like said it's easier with the holders but not impossible by any means! I would say you never had your belt tight enough that's why a different clicker. Your belt should sit up high enough that the bottom of the ribs are a bit above the top of the secondary. Blow your belt out every fee rides with the air compressor

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Whitecourt_Rider

Reaction score
Ok, Thanks. When im checking all that im looking for sticky spots or wear? Should I brake clean everything inside?

You think after 1000kms its time for a rebuild kit? I like to catwalk a lot... other then that I don't ride much different then my friend with he same sled that doesn't seem as doggy as mine?

slededjr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Make sure all 3 arms move nice and free on pin. Usually the most common for sticking. Take pin out of arm ( not the weight pin, pin that mounts arm to clutch) two bolts for each. Clean pin with fine sand paper. Check bushings also, arms, sheave, governor cup.

Clay911

Reaction score
had the same issues last year. found both my Primary And secondary spring are sagged bad. changed both along with bushing and buttons in Primary and now we will see how she runs compared to the low km buddys that were beating me.

stormtrooper

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Get the little button slider retainers. Rpm will have them. Should be less than 20 bucks for them. X 2 on the arm pins sticking. This is the most common issue I have found. If you put too much thread locker on the screws it will seep into the pin /bushing and make the arm sticky. So watch for that.

Whitecourt_Rider

Reaction score
RPM did have them. Worth there weight in gold!! Thanks for tips.... Im officially a clutch expert. There was a lot of belt dust in there. I also noticed a bit of rust on the ramps, cleaned it off with a light grit scotch pad. Adjusted my belt and I have all my power back. I think the belt not riding high enough was the issue.

Take care.

Top Bottom