Clutch issues on Sportsman 500

Brian D.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I took my primary and secondary apart on my 2010 Sportsman 500 in prep for a new clutch kit to compensate for the 28" tires I just put on.

This is what the sliding half of the primary looks like. Fixed half is about half as much groove.

clutch 3.JPG

This is what the secondary looks like. Balls wore to the point of helix being within a 1/16" of rubbing casting.

clutch 2.JPG

clutch 1.JPG

When I bought this machine, it was sold with 750 miles showing, would this be considered normal wear on the secondary or did I get BS'd.

I'm pretty sure the primary is junk, any thoughts?

KWIK RACING INC.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
if you want my opnion.... clutch kits are a mask and kinda a waste...take that money and buy aftermarket clutches.... way easier to maintain, you get a smaller one way bearing for lower starts... and now you have both sheeves that rotate and not one fixed sheeve and one movable one.... that's what burns belts easy.... CV Tech for primary I would do and a stm roller secondary...

pretty sure they make clutches for popo 500's

im thinking stock clutching is kinda the same as can-am is... both sheeves could rotate on popo....

Last edited:

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The PoPop clutches are already one of the best clutches. Yours is worn out...pure and simple. I'm guessing a LOT of miles on that machine and possibly a few times wet muddy water got in the clutches. Looks like its been ran in high range a LOT at low speeds, when a guy should have been in low range.

The aftermarket clutch I run on my Canned Ham IS a Polaris clutch. The sheaves are locked together and can not slip. I would replace with stock. See if you can find a good used one maybe. If a new stock clutch is cost prohibitive, then look at a CV Tech go cart clutch. The secondary just needs a new helix and the sliders...maybe a main bushing.

Oh and clutch kits on Polaris clutches work fine...because there are a MILLION options. I would look at QSC adjustable weights and whatever spring they recommend. (once you sort out your worn primary)

Last edited:

Brian D.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice fellas. So now while I shop for a new clutch, should I be running this one? Just put back together with old belt? I suppose it was running like that for who knows how long, the damage is done.

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would rebuild the secondary....because if those sliders wear any further you will be metal on metal...then you'll be replacing that one too. Run more in low range...will get the belt up and out of that groove.

Brian D.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would rebuild the secondary....because if those sliders wear any further you will be metal on metal...then you'll be replacing that one too. Run more in low range...will get the belt up and out of that groove.

Getting the kit for the secondary this afternoon. I'm still kind of baffled as to why the clutch is so beat up with 750 miles on it. I looked at the casting date and they are both '09 so I would believe them to be original to the machine. The rest of the machine is in beautiful condition. I have put 250 miles on it with no issues at all. He did say him and his wife rode it two up and toured around the fields. Could that explain the excessive wear?

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Getting the kit for the secondary this afternoon. I'm still kind of baffled as to why the clutch is so beat up with 750 miles on it. I looked at the casting date and they are both '09 so I would believe them to be original to the machine. The rest of the machine is in beautiful condition. I have put 250 miles on it with no issues at all. He did say him and his wife rode it two up and toured around the fields. Could that explain the excessive wear?

If she was in high all the time I could see it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brian D.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I redid the secondary and put a EPI sport utility clutch kit in and put a new belt on. I do notice better bottom end over what it was before. I also notice the new belt is a 1/16" wider than the old one. I will shop for a new clutch and see how this one runs in the mean time.

KWIK RACING INC.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
it is so much about maintainance too.... clutch need cleanin every 4 to 5 rides in the summer... you need to take cover off... compressed air to blow out the clutches.... if really dirty then you have to take apart and clean and put back together.... once clean... then you need only blowouts for quite a while before a full cleaning is necessary..... clutches love to be clean and last long if kept this way... most never had there cover off in years... you asking for trouble that way...

Joholio

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Main cause of problem is that is a Polaris Sportsman 500. I have similar woes bud.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom