Clutch Click?

kgb117

Reaction score
Hi. Bought a 2012 pro rmk recently. New to polaris sleds myself. The sled idles fine, and runs fine but when it gets enough gas to engage the clutch theres a "click" noise during engagement. Is this normal or a symptom of something worn out/needs tuning? Thanks.

adamg

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I recommend, at minimum, taking cover off the primary clutch. Check things out.

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Do you have too much sheave clearance to the belt? If the belt is narrow you might be hearing the clunk as the clutch snaps closed on it.

retiredpop

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Is this every time or just when you are changing from reverse to forward or vice versa? That is normal on direction change. Have you adjusted chain tension to spec?

kgb117

Reaction score
Is this every time or just when you are changing from reverse to forward or vice versa? That is normal on direction change. Have you adjusted chain tension to spec?
It was happening during directional changes from forward to reverse. because I noticed it in the parking lot when i was loading it. thanks for the post retiredpop. Still wondering how much play should there be in the secondary, before the bolt stops it there is just under 0.5cm of play. Should this be a concern? What is it during directional changes that makes the click retiredpop?

was reading the service manual. it says secondary should "float" on the shaft. is this play the float?

Last edited:

retiredpop

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I believe the spec for clutch float (play) on the shaft is generally .030" to .060". I'm happy with .125" as the clutch centers itself to where it needs to be anyway. I've never had any issues with the secondaries on any of my sleds. It's adjusted by adding or removing washers on the clutch bolt.
In a nutshell this is a very basic rundown on the secondary operation. There are rollers in the clutch that ride in a u-shaped slot. Depending on which way the clutch is turning the rollers ride on one face of the slot or the other. When you change direction the roller moves from one face to the other and due to the clearances between the rollers and the slot you hear a clunk. You may hear that clunk too when you are going down a steep hill and then get back on the gas.

Top Bottom