clutch bolt overtight!

IFSM8

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So I had my first issue! I took my clutch apart to remove the allan screws in the arms and found that I could not even get the Bolt out. It took the air rachet for a while and to finish it off with a breaker bar and heat to get it apart. This is on a 09 with under 200 miles so no rust or corrosion at all! when i got it apart it appeared to have been bottomed out in the crank and messed up the threads on the bolt a bit. The bolt was also bent from either them installing it or me cranking on it either way when I approached my dealer to help pop off the clutch and provide me with a new bolt. I basically got told to go get bent which ticked me off a bit because i just spent a good amount of money for everything including warrenty, and I had to go to gibbons to pick up and pay for my own bolt.:realmad: I know it is only 30 dollars but to not get any help except a phone call to another dealer to help me. It puts alot of doubt in grassland for me.:rant: I had heard great things about this dealer and trusted i would have a great experience with them!:mad: Is anyone else had this issue?

Maverick800XRS

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
On the weekend i was talking to a friend of mine that helped his buddy put a clutch kit in his XP. He said they impacted the puller back and forth with a 1/2 impact and a serious compressor along with a torch heating the fixed shive for about an hour. When it seemed all was lost they gave it one more go and it finally poped. Then they couldn't seperate the fixed and sliding shives because they were stuck together, is it really necessary to have to smash your clutch on a concreate floor over your head..... It sounds like taking the clutch off for the first time on these sleds is a MOFO !!. I took my 07 800R's clutch off in -12 degree weather with a 3/4inch ratchet with no snipes or anything. Be prepared to do some hard work to get these new clutches off for the first time. Sorry to hear about things getting messed up... is the crank ok ?

Id be changing dealerships if i were you...

All the best to you

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Impact guns + clutch pullers = very hard on the crank bearings and your crank is two pieces, using an impact can twist it out of phase. Seriously, guys have done it.

Avoid using impact if you can. Some folks using the hot water method or torch, seems to work well. If the clutch is that hard to disassemble on a brand new sled, take it back to the dealer and have them pull it. At least that way if they end up holding the PTO side of your crank in their hand and the clutch in the other...it won't be your fault. Its worth the $50 IMO.

In extreme cases I have heard of guys loosening the clutch bolt so that it has about 1/2" of play and then starting up the sled, few minutes and the clutch has separated from the crank (at least this is what I have heard). I've never been in a situation I've had to try it yet.

Old machinist trick is to use a little chalk on the tapers when re-assembling. Clean both tapers well and then rub regular chalk (blackboard chalk) onto the PTO stub. Keeps it from fretting.

bigrig73

Reaction score
best way to pull a primary clutch off of an 09 xp is to take the bolt out of the clutch, tip the sled on its side and fill the bolt hole with water. then t-tape and dope the bolt that holds the clutch on and reinstall. the water will create a hydraulic effect and the clutch pops off like nothing. i never use the clutch puller i have, except to split the clutch when i have it off the sled.:cool:

Top Bottom