Club memberships

LID

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Darryl, I don't know how you find enough days in the week and hours in the day.
Thanks for all the work, winter and summer.

briguy99

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am a supporting member in the crowfoot mtn club. Maybe i'll try a little harder to take it to the"next level" but honestly I had no idea that more volunteers were so desperately needed in my club. I see from the previous postings that this is most likely the case as it is in all your other clubs. Thanks Snow an Mud!

well said CF i spent a lil time on the BBQ durin our avy awareness days as well as dug a few holes for beacon search....good times great info and a really good feeling was achieved as well i got a free hat and really nice compass Thanx CMSC oh yaa blu bird day for the afternoon ride...lets hookup CF and ride!! :beer:

and regarding the lost snowmobilers...was awesome to see they were found safe and big thanx to the club members who got them and thier sleds outa that tough overnite situation....was awesome to see how we all care so much about each other :beer::beer:

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Member and volunteer for 2 local clubs. And that means I have to buy 2 memberships to the BCSF which is bull!!!!!!

No you don't. You only pay the club portion on the second membership. You only join the BCSF once. I checked that with the BCSF last year and straightened out the Cranbrook & Moyie clubs on it this year. If Kimberley isn't aware of it you should make them aware of it.:d

powderhoundbrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No you don't. You only pay the club portion on the second membership. You only join the BCSF once. I checked that with the BCSF last year and straightened out the Cranbrook & Moyie clubs on it this year. If Kimberley isn't aware of it you should make them aware of it.:d

Good to know, I don't think the Kimberley guys are aware of that. So how much is an add on membership? I am a member of both but got my first BCSF membership with the Cranbrook club.
How many people are part of the Moyie club and where do they generally ride besides Lumberton?

Skegmeister

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am not a Club member. I work away during the week and come home the weekends. I sled with my family alot and with friends during the evenings. We do not travel on any club or ASA trails, or at least I have never noticed. Spend alot of time around the Long lake, Sleleton Lake and in the Shining Bank Hills in between Edson and Whitecourt.
I clean up trails (garbage, belts, beer cans and kill wounded coyotes run over by sleds) as we go along and I have my kids do the same when they are out by them selves.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
I am not a Club member. I work away during the week and come home the weekends. I sled with my family alot and with friends during the evenings. We do not travel on any club or ASA trails, or at least I have never noticed. Spend alot of time around the Long lake, Sleleton Lake and in the Shining Bank Hills in between Edson and Whitecourt.
I clean up trails (garbage, belts, beer cans and kill wounded coyotes run over by sleds) as we go along and I have my kids do the same when they are out by them selves.

Join a Club, the numbers do significant wonders in the board rooms when land and access issues come up.

fargineyesore

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Our provincial Government is FINALLY considering compulsory trail permits for riding on crown lands. This will have a HUGE impact on the "non-joiners" who currently ride for free on the backs of volunteers.

On a club ride last week with the Grande Prairie club we come upon a lady rider hopelessly stuck after missing a corner and winding up over a bank into the trees. We got the sled out and got them on their way. They were heading to warm up in the club shelter. I asked if they were part of the club, to which the ladies male companion said they were going to join. They acknowledged the great trails and shelters but were currently not members. Hopefully they were true to their word and joined the club.

We all need to pressure the non-joiners to step up and contribute.
So clear something up for me. Are you pushing that only "club" members should be allowed to ride on crown lands? What if there is no club maintained trails in an area? I certainly hope that you people are not pushing the government to do this. The only people that are "freeloaders" as you call them are those that use club maintained trails, cabins, etc without buying a trail pass. Other than that, people should be able to ride on crown land without belonging to a club. If you want to belong to a club, good for you, but don't be pushing your agenda on all Albertans. Not everyone uses club trails or cabins, or wants to belong to a club. You don't have the right to try to say who can or cannot ride on Alberta crown lands, they belong to everyone, not just club members. If you want to insist people buy a trail pass to ride on club maintained groomed trails, I agree with that because grooming and such isn't free, but in areas with none of those things, anyone should be able to ride there. Please clarify your statement "we need to pressure the non-joiners to step up". By the way, before you start bad mouthing me, I do have a trail pass, although I haven't ridden on ONE club maintained trail so far this year, and may not.

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good to know, I don't think the Kimberley guys are aware of that. So how much is an add on membership? I am a member of both but got my first BCSF membership with the Cranbrook club.
How many people are part of the Moyie club and where do they generally ride besides Lumberton?

The club portion varies depending on whether the club is level 1, 2, or 3 (grooming, non-grooming etc.). $55 with Cranbrook, $30 with Moyie. Moyie Club now has 30 members. Not bad for it's first year. We rarely ride Lumberton. Mostly Moyie Mountain, Yahk River areas & Lamb Creek. :d

Uturn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
But I believe there are 3 types of people. Volunteers...people who buy a membership and help. Supporters...people who buy memberships and don't have time to help. Free loaders...the ones who ask what does the club do for me

I was involved in Alberta Snowmobile clubs in the late 70's/early 80's. To much feuding and battling. Joined another AB club in the 90's only to see it split into 2 groups.

Now I am just a number, member of both Valemount and McBride clubs where I ride. I am very grateful for the work the volunteers in these do so we can ride. I hope at some time I can do more to help, but for now this is the best I can do.

Without the local clubs, we wouldn't be where we are. I thank them for their passion for making things better.

polarice

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So clear something up for me. Are you pushing that only "club" members should be allowed to ride on crown lands? What if there is no club maintained trails in an area? I certainly hope that you people are not pushing the government to do this. The only people that are "freeloaders" as you call them are those that use club maintained trails, cabins, etc without buying a trail pass. Other than that, people should be able to ride on crown land without belonging to a club. If you want to belong to a club, good for you, but don't be pushing your agenda on all Albertans. Not everyone uses club trails or cabins, or wants to belong to a club. You don't have the right to try to say who can or cannot ride on Alberta crown lands, they belong to everyone, not just club members. If you want to insist people buy a trail pass to ride on club maintained groomed trails, I agree with that because grooming and such isn't free, but in areas with none of those things, anyone should be able to ride there. Please clarify your statement "we need to pressure the non-joiners to step up". By the way, before you start bad mouthing me, I do have a trail pass, although I haven't ridden on ONE club maintained trail so far this year, and may not.

strength in numbers

whitegold

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am also very active in the club... I have been on the executive for the last 3 years, and have been a member for the last 16 years. I also spend countless hours in the fall working on the groomers, as well as trail cleaning in the early winter. I spent 8 weekend ( with the odd day in between ) building a new cabin on the microwave. I also sit on the community resource board that makes recommendations to the gov't on land uses... ( RAMP )

I also really wish that all the local sledders would just buy a membership... even if they can't put in the time the financial support would go a long way.

Attachments

• DIGI0001.jpg
    DIGI0001.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 147
  • DIGI0002 (3).jpg
    DIGI0002 (3).jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 156

Thumper-darryl

Reaction score
fargineyesore.
You are missing a part of the big picture. As well as working with clubs on a vast variety of trail projects, a bigger portion of what organizations like the ASA do is land access. To be blunt, without the ongoing work done by provincial organizations like the ASA and the national CCSO you would NOT have access to your riding areas. We would have lost access to crown land years ago if not for the work of the ASA.
And Yes we would like to see compulsory trail permits to ride on public lands, as this is the only way to secure enough funding for provincial wide trail building, maintenance, trail insurance, etc.
Read the next issue of Snoriders, as there is a good explanation in it.
Cheers
Darryl

fargineyesore

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
fargineyesore.
You are missing a part of the big picture. As well as working with clubs on a vast variety of trail projects, a bigger portion of what organizations like the ASA do is land access. To be blunt, without the ongoing work done by provincial organizations like the ASA and the national CCSO you would NOT have access to your riding areas. We would have lost access to crown land years ago if not for the work of the ASA.
And Yes we would like to see compulsory trail permits to ride on public lands, as this is the only way to secure enough funding for provincial wide trail building, maintenance, trail insurance, etc.
Cheers
Darryl[/QUOTE
Can you provide a contact in the Govt that I can confirm that "you would not have access to your riding areas"? I'm not aware of the Alberta ASRD or GOVT trying to shut down snowmobiling in my riding area, but if I'm wrong, I'd certainly like to know. I deal with ASRD periodically in my job and have not heard of this. Close to major cities maybe, but out in the boonies, haven't heard it.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
fargineyesore.
Cheers
Darryl[/QUOTE
Can you provide a contact in the Govt that I can confirm that "you would not have access to your riding areas"? I'm not aware of the Alberta ASRD or GOVT trying to shut down snowmobiling in my riding area, but if I'm wrong, I'd certainly like to know. I deal with ASRD periodically in my job and have not heard of this. Close to major cities maybe, but out in the boonies, haven't heard it.

I'm a BC guy and I know the sneaky ways of the green movement out here. Very similar in Alberta.

I'm not privy to the information that "thumper-darryl" has regarding the gov't. All I have to look at, to support the work of the ASA, is the actions of Mountain Equipment Coop. How many times have we seen there promotions for the West Castle and north into the Old Man river system to keep large areas non-motorized.

We are lucky to have what we have and if we snooze we loose. The green movement is all over the closures; numbers speak volumes, dollars spent in the motorized industry speak volumes!

So please join a club.....

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
fargineyesore.
Cheers
Darryl[/QUOTE

Bruderheim Sandhills,Ministik Bide sancuatury. Blackfoot grazing resserve,Red water motorized vrecreation area.Timeau Land use area. Any Provincial park,Special places, Land use framework These are justa few some VERY close to your and mine home area. Not even including all the green zone. Space and typing time is limited. OH YA Big Horn rec area ASK Wayne Holland from Public Lands in Sherwood Park about the work the ASA and local clubs have done JUST for Ministik

fargineyesore

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Bruderheim Sandhills,Ministik Bide sancuatury. Blackfoot grazing resserve,Red water motorized vrecreation area.Timeau Land use area. Any Provincial park,Special places, Land use framework These are justa few some VERY close to your and mine home area. Not even including all the green zone. Space and typing time is limited. OH YA Big Horn rec area ASK Wayne Holland from Public Lands in Sherwood Park about the work the ASA and local clubs have done JUST for Ministik
Agreed, but I'm not talking about these areas that are near large urban centres or are designated rec areas, etc. I'm talking about areas that are in the "boonies", that don't have any special designation. I agree that the ASA should be supported because of the areas you speak of. What I don't agree with is the statement made earlier that all crown lands would be or should be off limits to anyone to ride without a trail pass. I buy a trail pass because I support the ASA's efforts, and the efforts of those that do groom and maintain some trails (even though I hardly ever ride any groomed trails) but I will not support the idea that if you do not buy an ASA trail passes or belong to a club, you cannot sled on ANY public lands in Alberta, and I doubt if I'm alone in feeling this way. I don't agree with forcing people to conform to the views that were expressed earlier in this thread. I honestly don't see how my viewpoint is unreasonable as I'm not against clubs or trail passes.

polarice

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ask members of the calgary club if they knew the government was going to pull the grooming out of cataract creek before it happened ... or did they know about it and didnt have the numbers to make a stand .... the more sledders the government knows about the better ...

fargineyesore

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ask members of the calgary club if they knew the government was going to pull the grooming out of cataract creek before it happened ... or did they know about it and didnt have the numbers to make a stand .... the more sledders the government knows about the better ...
See my post just before yours.

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
What we are asking for is if you are on a designated trail in the green Zone (PUBLIC LAND) that you have a trail pass. Right now we can only enforce if on private land( but we only use peer pressure). In the future this may change to help clubs afford to maintain the trail.
The Government wants all users out of the public land. Most important is motorized. When replanting any harvested area they plant it all. Eliminates all old cutlines and even registered trails. The gov. wants and will control all access to public lands. Our Clubs have been told numerous times to put down on a map any trail that you may want to have some day even 10 yrs down the line. This is because the government will only want us to use those trails. If we dont put them down when they look at long time planning that area will be off limits.
Many buzz words that the gov uses to slip it past us. primitive use or heritage use terms limit motorized but will be OK for hiking or Horse use. The Landuse framework program is a good place to start your investigation on how the government will stop you from riding all public lands. The ASA and the clubs they represent as well as all members are keen on whats happening out there. Time,$$$,volunteer assistance,members lack of interest in being truly concerned about the issues all make it a tough fight to keep Public Land PUBLIC.
We need you and Thousands of your friends to get active and join and contact your MLA to say PUBLIC LAND IS FOR THE PUBLIC TO ENJOY ALL THE PUBLIC MOTORIZED AS WELL.
Would also be nice if the AOHVA could get their chit together and start controlling the wheeled users a bit more than they are. They will drag us all down

Thumper-darryl

Reaction score
Well put Sledderglen.
I do not know when the ASA actually started working on access issues relating to crown land, but they were working on it when I got involved in 1993 and I know that since that time there has been thousands of hours and hundreds of thousands of dollars spent by the ASA on this ongoing battle to keep sleds on crown lands in Alberta. The strength and credibility of the ASA with Government keeps sledding alive and well in Alberta, despite the ongoing attacks on our sport by the anti-motorized people.

Top Bottom