Chip and pyro pre or post turbo?

inside

Reaction score
I have decided to put a bully dog PMT in my 06 duramax. I bought a hypertech a year ago because I was too cheap. So if I pull I take it pretty easy. My plan was to then buy gauges, but by the time you buy the gauges it is cheaper to to buy the bully dog.
Any way should I put the pyro pre or post turbo? Thanks.

xsyourride

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
put the pyro in the right exhaust manifold.

I put frbstr on the right side there is a nice spot on the manifold there that is flat.If your doing it your self just remember to start the truck before you drill through the manifold so the exhaust blows the filings out the hole.

growly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There's an aftermarket left side exhaust manifold that frees up a few more ponies and has a bung to install the pyro into.

skibeadoo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Post turbo, while drilling the hole you take a risk of something going into the turbo and wrecking it. I have heard of cases where the tip of the probe has flaked away and went through the turbo. All you have to remember is there is a difference of 200 degrees between pre and post. Hope this helps. I have had it pre turbo in the past and will never do it again for the previous reasons.

dirtball08

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Put the probe post turbo, so you get a more accurate reading of both sides not just one side. Installed lots of guages on Chev, Ford, Dodge, all after turbo. Hope this helps.:beer:

inside

Reaction score
Thanks for the info guys, I might be a worry wart but I think I'll go post turbo just for peace of mind.

feyd

Reaction score
There's an aftermarket left side exhaust manifold that frees up a few more ponies and has a bung to install the pyro into.

I think that's the way I will be going when I do mine. I have heard of too many people with cracked manifolds after they drill and tap the right side one.

mb1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I haven't done a lot of reading on it, cause I thought it was always pre-turbo. You want to know what temp the gas is before it gets to your turbo.

I'm not writing off the idea of going post, but has anyone out there done any testing to determine the reliability of readings after the turbo? ( Where did the 200 # come from? )

Top Bottom