Chin Strap

Vance Matheson

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Love and hate this thread at the same time as most of time my helmet is only done up tight when going up the trail, as the wind would rip it off otherwise. Considering most of the riding I do is lower speed in and out of trees getting stuck and digging my buddies out I find it more convenient to pull it over my head and ride. However if I am climbing or in terrain I am unfamiliar with or its a cloudy day I will always do it up tight. Not saying this is right or wrong just what I tend to do over the past years. I am however working towards a full time rule with my riding group that they owe everyone a beer if someone catches them with it un done.

A lot of us ride the same, but i think the qucik release buckle is a good idea.

FernieHawk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I always keep my straps snug...never know when something will happen.

My ski helmet has a quick connect on it...problem is the strap gradually comes loose and you tend to not notice. Two years ago I put my ski helmet on and noticed the strap was looser than I like...cranked it down and went skiing. Two runs later, I was in the Meat Wagon on the way to the hospital...cracked C4, facial lacerations and some shattered teeth. Helmet took a high speed blow on a tree and the outer shell was cracked in half and the foam liner was majorly deformed. Glad I tightened it up that morning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
I keep a full length strap in my backpack just in case.I have used them for years in mud and snow and never lost a stick on.Velcro doesn't work quite as well when it's muddy but I still prefer quick straps over full strap.
How do those quick attach for goggles work I was worried about them losing the grip on the Velcro after a while. My goggles are ALWAYS foggy.

i have a helmet with the velcro still on and its 12 years old now. ive switched helmets a few times since then, and i just started using the quick strap again.

Last edited:

DoCDoo

Reaction score
My FXR lid has a quick release tab. It comes undone just as quick as it would take me to to grab the strap and pull over my chin (if it wasn't done up tight).

Also, I read someone said they don't do it up tree riding at low speed. That is probably the time you really should. Go out in your yard, walk or jog down the block, and when you get close to the light pole tilt your head down and just smoke the pole... If it hurts even a bit, do your helmet up in the trees, not for your sake but for the buddies you are riding with. Nobody should have to deal with finding their buddy dead because of this. I would rather see you not wearing a helmet at all, at least then it will let others know the risk of riding with you.

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We need to go into business making a carbon fibre with a built in go pro mount. No need for the sticky pad that doesn't stick nonsense.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

rightsideup

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We need to go into business making a carbon fibre with a built in go pro mount. No need for the sticky pad that doesn't stick nonsense.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk
mine is sticking on my carbon fiber well and the 55 doo googles with the tear aways work fine as well i think if you heat up the sticky before you apply it to the lid it works fine

rightsideup

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not sure, like the 509 one I looked at

Same one as bandit got
I have a 509 black carbon fibre it is nice but the altitude model is way lighter go for one of those if you get a good deal

X-Treme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.robinsautomotive.ca
The attitude is the one I want like this
Have you tried one on yet Jeff? I found that the "mouth piece" was too close to my mouth. Like less than an inch close. I would think that would lead to increased goggle fogging.

I went with a twin to the previous style 509 and there's a LOT more room in there.

Just my opinion.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 3 using Tapatalk.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have you tried one on yet Jeff? I found that the "mouth piece" was too close to my mouth. Like less than an inch close. I would think that would lead to increased goggle fogging.

I went with a twin to the previous style 509 and there's a LOT more room in there.

Just my opinion.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 3 using Tapatalk.
Ya I've slid one one

Found the same thing compared to the one I have now

Might have to keep looking

Bernoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Do some come right from factory with a quick release chin strap?

Dmf

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I found that the same too, that the nose piece was a lot closer then other helmets. I bought one anyways and don't make no difference for fogging up is say. And now I'm used to it being close and seems normal. Oh and the new 509 helmets come with a go pro mount that replaces the scew that holds your visor on. Pretty smart on their part

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I found that the same too, that the nose piece was a lot closer then other helmets. I bought one anyways and don't make no difference for fogging up is say. And now I'm used to it being close and seems normal. Oh and the new 509 helmets come with a go pro mount that replaces the scew that holds your visor on. Pretty smart on their part
Damn. They beat me to it lol.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
I don't do mine up....I know I should but as of yet do not.... I will get one of the quick thingamajiggers...

Top Bottom