Chin Strap

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Tex says he doesn't cuz one time by pure fluke he saw a guy get his head sucked in between the tunnel and track when he wiped out and it drug him down the hill by his neck cuz the strap was done up.

Not sure how the hell one would even get it in that position in the first place but that's his ridiculous justification for not doing it up.

I've hit hard enough without it being tight that it rolled over my eyes. If I hadn't had it strapped at all it would have come off. Always strap it up tight now.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk
Too each there own, I can yell u we and he thought his neck was broken

I used to before that

rightsideup

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
there are so many fluky things that can happen out there and if you happen witness it that circumstance stays with you for ever

i would be dead now if i did not have my helmet strapped on but I should have never put myself in the circumstance where the collision between the ice and top of my head occurred

towerrigger

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I started using one of these this year. Looked real cheap when I first got it. Holds up well.

plio7

GBCA Member
Reaction score

I used to before that

If his head got sucked in and said helmet had come off a broken neck would be the least of worries. I'd rather call someone's lived one to tell them they had a broken neck than explaining why it will have to be a closed casket funeral. Even if it sucked the helmet off his head you don't that track spinning against his face as it rips the helmet off would be pretty??

Joholio

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
this was the last time i didnt doo it up. Xmas eve just comin home from buddies place for supper. Made a point of going slow then just slid sideways a bit on the icy road and highsided er... not going toooooo fast... Found it next morning 30' in the bush.

Buddy years ago had his just done up loose(so he could slip in on and off) while trying a big tabletop and broke 7 teeth because it lifted when he crashed and ate the bars. So yeah, I do it up.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If his head got sucked in and said helmet had come off a broken neck would be the least of worries. I'd rather call someone's lived one to tell them they had a broken neck than explaining why it will have to be a closed casket funeral. Even if it sucked the helmet off his head you don't that track spinning against his face as it rips the helmet off would be pretty??
Guess u had to be there a see it

He was high marking a old wedge, way up high at quartz creek above the creek valley ( same side that's closed) he fell off the wrong side, got tangled up and helmet got dragged up the track to tunnel, bet it dragged him by the neck 2000 feet down

We had to take the rear upper track bolt out of one side to get it out, he had burns ect to his chest, jacket, arms ect

If his helmet would have come off, he would have been up there and not drug to the bottom like a rag doll

My helmet is super tight to get on and off, too the point I have to have it the right way to get my goggles past my fore head

If I ride my dirt bike, it's done up

I really, really don't care what all u nay Sayer's say, u had to see it

Joholio

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I used to before that

So the helmet saved the day because of being properly secured and thats your reason do the opposite? I do not understand this logic hahaha

X-Treme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.robinsautomotive.ca
Lol. No chin strap, but you better phuckin not even THINK of putting 2 sleds and a deck on a 1/2 ton. Lol. 😉😉

Just busting your balls Jeff. I agree on the deck. Not so much on the strap. 😉

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 3 using Tapatalk.

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
this was the last time i didnt doo it up. Xmas eve just comin home from buddies place for supper. Made a point of going slow then just slid sideways a bit on the icy road and highsided er... not going toooooo fast... Found it next morning 30' in the bush.

Buddy years ago had his just done up loose(so he could slip in on and off) while trying a big tabletop and broke 7 teeth because it lifted when he crashed and ate the bars. So yeah, I do it up.
Same thing happened to a buddy of mine on an atv. Flipped climbing a hill, landed on his back, helmet came off, front rack in the lips but got lucky as it was only a Honda 300 and walked away with just a broken nose and a split lip. Would have been worse on a big machine. FWIW he thought his helmet alone was tight enough also. It surprisingly took little impact to dislodge it.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Surprisingly yes he was ok, but not straped and he might have made it 5 feet

True who knows, but to each there own

He even said that the way it went, If not strapped it would not have dragged him, burnt him ect

Very easy to break neck like a bobble head

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Surprisingly yes he was ok, but not straped and he might have made it 5 feet

True who knows, but to each there own

He even said that the way it went, If not strapped it would not have dragged him, burnt him ect

Very easy to break neck like a bobble head
Your missing the point.
The chances of that exact thing EVER happening to someone again is almost 100% never. Like, I can't even picture how the hell it ever could. An arm or leg maybe. Not my head though.

The chances of you crashing into someone or something on the trail is quite likely however. Happens every day. I got hurt pretty bad once in a trail crash that wasn't my fault. Glad my helmet was strapped or it would have been worse.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

ippielb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
How do those quick attach for goggles work I was worried about them losing the grip on the Velcro after a while. My goggles are ALWAYS foggy.

dabensmiller

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How do those quick attach for goggles work I was worried about them losing the grip on the Velcro after a while. My goggles are ALWAYS foggy.

I used to use them and they worked fine until one day the adhesive velcro patch came off my helmet leaving me without any form of eye protection. After that i went back to the strap and haven't looked back. When i stop for longer periods i take my goggles off and place them lense up on my handlebars, i never have issues with fogging.

DoCDoo

Reaction score
I've lost 2 friends because of this. One dirtbike accident where helmet wasn't done up and one street bike accident because strap was too loose.

I used to hound them all the time to tighten it. :(. Sad he didn't listen.

It takes very little to pop a helmet off that isn't done up and the friend is the one that has to deal with it. Not the dead person.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jorgy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Love and hate this thread at the same time as most of time my helmet is only done up tight when going up the trail, as the wind would rip it off otherwise. Considering most of the riding I do is lower speed in and out of trees getting stuck and digging my buddies out I find it more convenient to pull it over my head and ride. However if I am climbing or in terrain I am unfamiliar with or its a cloudy day I will always do it up tight. Not saying this is right or wrong just what I tend to do over the past years. I am however working towards a full time rule with my riding group that they owe everyone a beer if someone catches them with it un done.

Vance Matheson

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

i have a helmet with the velcro still on and its 12 years old now. ive switched helmets a few times since then, and i just started using the quick strap again.

Top Bottom