Chev Starters?

mathrulz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anyone else having troubles with their starters on Chev vehicles? Have a 2004 Chev 2500 6.0L since new - only about 25000kms so far -almost brand new. The problem only seems to show up when it's cold (below freezing) outside - basically when you turn the key to start the truck everything comes on like normal - lights, radio, gauges, etc, but nothing cranks over. The starting solenoid clicks into place, but won't crank over. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't - hard to troubleshoot. Tried checking electrical problems, but seem to be getting power to the starter like normal - and all fuses/relays are good (battery is good also). Talked with the dealer in town and they say they've been having similar problems with all chev vehicles (trucks, cars, suvs) for the past several years - even still on the new 2010s! Usually they can catch the problem before it leaves the dealer lot -they say they just replace the starter and all is well. I've tried a replacement starter from an auto wrecker off a 2004 Hummer with only about 17,000kms on it. It worked good last year, but is starting to give similar problems now this year. Anyone know anything about this issue - is it worth the $500 for a new chev starter?

slomo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
never heard of this problem in 10 years at the dealer,there could be 100 issues causing this problem,from poor connections to security problems,bring it in to have it properly diagnosed
not saying it isnt the starter either but i havent seen an issue due to the cold causing all these gm starters to fail in all the car and trucks,somone feed you a line of crap!!!

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
Not a common problem at all, however there have been a few replacements made...... Sounds like the armature slip ring and brushes maybe gummed up a little, causing poor intermittant contact...... You put an auto wrecker starter in from another chev? You are just putting another so called problem starter into your vehicle......why not put in a rebuilt/remanufactured unit from napa or bumper to bumper, as they probably would have been about the same price and you can get ones with 2 year, or 5 year or lifetime warranty, depending on what level of rebuilt they are, or lifetime warranty if it's new........ Why buy a gm starter, when you can get aftermarket ones that have upgrades???

brew_doo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My 05 GMC 1/2 ton did the same thing - was lucky enough to have the starter replaced under warranty - no trouble since.

dragon700rmk

Reaction score
I have heard of this problem several times during the winter months. What happens is the starter armature will freeze to the fields due to moisture. This is caused from snow or road spray entering the starter. Here is what you do if you experience this situation, if you go to start your vehicle and no starter action hold the key in the start position for 10 seconds. Turn the ignition off for a couple and repeat this process three to four times, doing this allows the current to thaw any ice inside the starter. Nothing you can do to stop it from happening.

mathrulz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not a common problem at all, however there have been a few replacements made...... Sounds like the armature slip ring and brushes maybe gummed up a little, causing poor intermittant contact...... You put an auto wrecker starter in from another chev? You are just putting another so called problem starter into your vehicle......why not put in a rebuilt/remanufactured unit from napa or bumper to bumper, as they probably would have been about the same price and you can get ones with 2 year, or 5 year or lifetime warranty, depending on what level of rebuilt they are, or lifetime warranty if it's new........ Why buy a gm starter, when you can get aftermarket ones that have upgrades???

Might have to give one of the other ones a shot. Just thought if it wasn't that common I would try another one - but doesn't look like I had very good luck with that. Thanks!

mathrulz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My 05 GMC 1/2 ton did the same thing - was lucky enough to have the starter replaced under warranty - no trouble since.

Ya - kinda feeling sorry I never used it a little more in the winter earlier on - only the last couple years. Before it was only in the summer, and a little in the winter, but it was always in the garage to start - so no problems.

teamgreen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have the same truck and have never had any problems, if you want to trade trucks I will deliver mine. It only has 10X the mileage that yours has

Top Bottom