Check Engine Light 2008 F350SD

firecatab

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just had the check engine light come on over the weekend, took it to Ford and they cannot look at it until Friday, anyone have any idea what may have brought it on? The only thing I have added is the AFE Intake. Also if I have to take it to Ford should I remove it and install the stock one?

Rob

xsyourride

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Its probably the mass air flow sensor.Being that it was so cold on the weekend it froze up the sensor.I've been hereing this alot lately on the d-max and powerstokes.Try pulling out the mass air flow sensor and us a hair dryer to dry it off.I know on my duramouse the check engine light comes on everytime its cold out ,because the sensor frosts up.I'd pull out the intake if you take it to the dealer,it just gives them a reason to blame the aftermarket guy.

everest8

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Go to Princess Auto or other's and get a OBD code reader #2. This will diagnose you eng and give you troubble codes. Dealer charges around $50 -$75 for this. All I needeed was a fuel filter. Have code reader now and it check's everthing and reset's eng. light. Not bad for $90! Now I charge other people $10 to plug it in thier vechicles. Work's on all 97 and up.

Zar

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you have recently install the AFE intake you might have fouled the little wire element in the mass air flow sensor. I had installed a K&N that was pre-oiled in the factory and the excess oil in the filter contaminated the wire element in the mass air flow sensor on my Ford and check engine light came on. It soes not teke much debris to foul it. Don't touch the wire with you fingers. I think NAPA sells a mass air flow meter cleaner.Once it is clean - I am not sure if the " check engine " light turns off or do you have to get Ford to reset the light. Please let us know how it turns out. :d

Oilboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
its the intake and the mass air sensor, the afe's are bad for pulling CEL'S theres nothing to worry about but if you do take it to the dealer make sure you take it off they will threaten to viod your warantie, or the tech might make a side note on your file,
the problem with aftermarket intakes on the new ford is that when the truck goes into regen they let in more air then the stock air filter so the truck compensates and lets more fuel in and after a while you will cook the DPF and there $2500+ and no warantie.
if you know any one with a chip for the new ford they can plug it in and it will tell you what your CEL is.
sry for the long reply hope it helps

firecatab

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok, purchased a obd code reader and what I am getting for the check engine light is the following. Any idea what I am looking for?

P2002 code
Particulate Trap Eff Below Threshold Bank1

Rob

Garryese

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
P2002 points to the DPF but is caused by the intake mod. Common problem for 6.4 and is listed on the powerstroke forums.

firecatab

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Garry,

Is there anyway to keep it from coming on? I have had the intake on since last Sept and this code has come on again since resetting it yesterday?

Top Bottom