Chain help???????

boondockin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
just replacing chain on my 01 800 doo, the old chain i could touch together between the gears, the new chain is the same number and is about half inch shoerter and will not go on, its off by like quarter of an inch, any ideas? its not been dropped and rolled and has stock gearing, the chain is 13 wide by 72 link

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
chains stretch. you should not be able to touch the chain together between the gears.

you have a 72 link?

what is your gearing combination? i know you said stock.. but stock can be differant depengding on model and some dealers actually changed the gearing. count the teeth.

also....have you tried taking off both gears then putting the chain on both gears then installing?

if your gearing is stock 21/43 you need a 74 link chain not a 72

boondockin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
chains stretch. you should not be able to touch the chain together between the gears.

you have a 72 link?

what is your gearing combination? i know you said stock.. but stock can be differant depengding on model and some dealers actually changed the gearing. count the teeth.

also....have you tried taking off both gears then putting the chain on both gears then installing?

if your gearing is stock 21/43 you need a 74 link chain not a 72

yes it was a 72 that came off with 21/43 gears, just checked the microsfiche, i was wrong with the 72 its a 74, thanks maxwell!!

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
im confused

Me too.

You had a 72 on there and could touch the chain together between the gears (BAD!!!!) and now you want to put a 74 on there??? That chain will slap and blow your case apart. Do you not have a chain tensioner?? You should be able to put the chain and gears together and slip the gears onto their respective shafts. This is what I usually do - then I just use the tensioner to slightly tweak the chain tension.

Make sure the gears are aligned (with a straightedge) as well.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yes!...

if your chain is touching or close to touching(theres no way it can touch without exploding very fast)......you do not have the gears you think you have or have the incorrect chain. 76 instead of a 74. just because the microfiche says you have a certain gearing does not mean its correct. count the teeth. then i can tell you the correct chain you need from the chart i have.

saint_nick3

Reaction score
It is for sure 21/43 gearing and the chain that was on it was a 72 link. I helped him pull it apart and then got really confused when we went to put it back together.

It has a chain tensioner and when we pulled it apart it was maxed out and the chain was still loose :eek:

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
then putting on a 74 will be way worse...like an inch.....

there is something not right here. if gearing is stock then you pulled off a 76/78 chain not a 72. or gearing is not stock.. lol but you seem sure it is. so i dont know what going on.

with stock gears and chain the tensioner should not be in all that much. let alone maxed.

sprocketchainchart.jpg

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Double check chain length and gearing. If 74 was the spec for the 21/43 there should be no way - absolutely no way - you should have a 72 on there and have that much slack. I have tried the very thing you're talking about and I couldn't even get the chain on, it was way too tight. I cannot see it stretching that much without failing either, maybe I'm wrong on that one and if so, please post a picture. I would compare old link length to new link length to figure out if its stretched that much. If the link lengths are the same, then there has to be more links - simple logic.

If you can't get a 72 on there because its a 1/2" too short, how did the last guy do it? Chains will stretch, shouldn't be stretching that much though... :D

boondockin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Double check chain length and gearing. If 74 was the spec for the 21/43 there should be no way - absolutely no way - you should have a 72 on there and have that much slack. I have tried the very thing you're talking about and I couldn't even get the chain on, it was way too tight. I cannot see it stretching that much without failing either, maybe I'm wrong on that one and if so, please post a picture. I would compare old link length to new link length to figure out if its stretched that much. If the link lengths are the same, then there has to be more links - simple logic.

If you can't get a 72 on there because its a 1/2" too short, how did the last guy do it? Chains will stretch, shouldn't be stretching that much though... :D

I, my brother, and my parts guy all checked the chain that came off, it was a 72, now i ordered a 74 and its to long, so now im getting new gears, im guessin the old ones are wore out and they are the only thing left that could be giving me problem, and i am glad i checked it casue i think it was on the virg of bowing :eek:

sirzones

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
my 01 summit has 19/43 gears and has a 74 link chain,just replaced with all new brp parts,mine has manual reverse as well

crisscross1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
it sounds to me that this sled is a used sled, and I have seen it before where someone puts on used chain and gears to save them money and sell it, buy new and be done with the problem. You will need to put the chain on the gears and slide it on both at the same time and back off the slack ajuster, good luck

rmk800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
IS it possible the chain is a hyvo chain, not sure if they have the same pitch or not.

boondockin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
found that the gears must have been worn, i replaced them and now it fits great, thanks for all the help

Top Bottom