Chain Case

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
Inspect your chain case when doing a yearly service of your sled, some things we noticed that you should look for.

- Wear on the gears: We noticed some wear and nicks on the gears

- Wear on the chain: We also noticed wear on the inside of the chain

- Allen Bolt to the Chan tensioner: Black bolt, this was very loose, we took it out, cleaned it and put some locktite on it and reinstalled it and torqued to factory specs 12.5 ft/lbs, if we would of left this it most likely would of came loose and then there would be problems.

- The upper nut which has the cotter pin through it was also just finger tight and should be 33 - 55 ft/lbs torque as well.
- The lower nut is 32 lf/lbs

This is an easy step and I would recommend every season.

Attachments

• sled 014 (Medium).jpg
    sled 014 (Medium).jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 376
Last edited:

chelle

Marathon Truck Decks
Reaction score
I broke mine on the weekend. 10 km's up the road and the chain broke taking the chain case with it. Those whoop's are hell on machines. So now I've got to buy a new chain and case.

Anyone have any tips? I don't know if I had it out of adjustment or if the chain was worn.

Any tips on replacing the case and chain?

Thanks

Michelle

2003Summit

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey, I had the same thing on my 03 Summit. Upper bolt just finger tight and idler bolt loose and ready to fall out. Suggest more people check theres.

Is there a spec for measuring the chain to see if it streached too much and needs replacment?

chelle

Marathon Truck Decks
Reaction score
so I picked up a new chain case, no problem. I also went with a 15 wide chain and top gear, no problem. Welded a small crack in the cover again no problem. When I put it all together my chain tensioner is like 2/3 ofthe way in. IS THIS NORMAL? I don't know what it looks like stock as my chain broke before I could see the stock setup. It seems like there would be a lot of force on the tensioner with it cranked in as far as it is.

Thanks

wangdoo800

Reaction score
It depends on your gearing,normally every size chain has room for gear changes.You could change your gearing if you dont like the bend,but it is normal.

chelle

Marathon Truck Decks
Reaction score
ya I have a 19-45 now and I'm thinking of changing it to a 47. That would take out some of the slack. I had it out a Valemount and she ran great all weekend.

When we got to the parking lot at Clemina I had this funny feeling that I had forgot to bend the cotter pin that retains the top gear. I remembered putting the pin in, just not bending it. So we tipped the sled on it's side so the gear oil wouldn't run out, took off the cover and sure enough. Funny how that little vioce in the back of your head goes off.

When I looked at the original 13 wide chain I had about a dozen broken links in different spots.

koko3052

Reaction score
If u got enough slack in the chain for 2extra teeth on the bot, get a new chain, it's worn out.General rule of thumb-u can go up 1 tooth on top gear with good chain, any more than that -junk the chain.

Last edited by a moderator:

chelle

Marathon Truck Decks
Reaction score
It is a brand new chain. My problem (one of them) is that I never saw the original in place so I didn't know if the deflection in the chain once tensioned is normal or not. I'm checking the tension every ride now and I'll be pulling the cover to check the links every 100 km's.

X-man

Reaction score
Changed the stock top gear from 21 to 19. I didn't like how much deflection was in the chain. Went to a 47 tooth on the bottom, much better. Very happy with the change. Lower gear = Less clutch heat.

95formulaz583

Reaction score
Just went through this with my 95 doo... Was told that if you line a straight edge from what would be the center of the end of the jack shaft to the very outter edge of the lower gear, the chain should come off the top gear before it meets the line. Turns out mine came off the top gear about 1/2 inch before the "line". Does this make sense? a picture is worth a thousand eh?

Top Bottom