Chain case and track tension

IRC

Reaction score
Hi guys

Was looking for a little advice. I have a 03 800 Vertical Escape with PERC and was looking for the correct method of setting chain case tension. I hade to much slack last year and it had a good “clunk” going from reverse to forward or when coming back on to power after coasting down a hill. With the belt off I found there to be about 3-4 degrees of rotation between the secondary and the output to the jack shaft.

The second adjust is for the track tension. I have the 159 track and mostly ride powder here on the island. I was getting some ratcheting on hard acceleration so I increased track tension but then started to wear the hifax (sp)on the trail ride in to the powder. I have scratchers, so I’m really looking for how much sag should I be looking for with the long track. My shop says 1-1 ½ inch but that seems pretty loose.

Any help would be appreciated .

Jim

700cat

Reaction score
chain tension is finger tight while rocking the secondary, then back off half a turn. track is another story,run as loose as possible until it jumps the drivers then tighten a bit! i've seen my sleds track 4 inches droop on the track jack.

T-BO

Reaction score
You definitly don't want to run your track too tight as it will rob HP and wear your sliders quickly. I usually run my track with1"-1.5" of slop when hanging. Too loose of a track can cause the same power loss as too tight of a track as it will bunch up in front of the slide rails and try to wrap around the drivers and could even stab the track (on some sleds). I'd say stick to and inch or two of slop and drive it! As long as your track doesen't ratchet your golden.

IRC

Reaction score
Thanks Guys,

I set them up last night. Just waiting for my Case and Crank to come back after breaking the crank pin last year. Oh well gave me a chance to fix all the things that need attending!

Top Bottom