CBR250r... Good Starting Bike?

raptor700rgytr

Reaction score
i am looking to get my self a bike. just not to sure where to start. i was thinking a 250 just so i can get used to riding a bike and get the feel for it. my fear is that i will spend 5g and have out grown the bike in a year. any suggestions? what rout did you take?

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You will probably spend 5g and outgrow the bike in a year.

raptor700rgytr

Reaction score
thats was my issue with getting this bike. just not to sure if i should just go with a 600 and take it easy or not.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There is a Ninja 400. A few buddies started riding on a Kawasaki 600 or 650. It wasn't the race bike but was still a sportbike just a bit milder and more forgiving to learn on.

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lots of people, new riders and seasoned riders love the cbr250. Its super agile, nimble, and has enough jam to have fun with. The 125 is a bike that is easily outgrown, but it seems this bike has reached a comfortable place in the market. I'm not a bike rider, but work in a bike shop, so I hear lots of feedback. On the Honda Demo ride lots of peeps raved about this bike especially when riding around Kootenay Lake. Super fun bike from what I hear, easy on insurance, and great on gas.

raptor700rgytr

Reaction score
not to mention you can pick one up for a good price. the only problem with the ninja 400 is its only $1000 less then a 600 so it doesn't make sense to go with that if you are just going to end up on a 600 or so.

JaySimon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A 600CC sport bike is going to be some kind of FAST. Kinda blows my mind how quick they can get moving.

Bullseye

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had the same issues not that long ago !!! (I am 41 yrs old and about 190lbs)

I bought a CBR125r last spring (got a smoking deal on it).... did a bit of touring on it ...even out to Vernon and back.. (No kidding) But that being said the CBR125r is maxed out on the highway..it can be rode on a highway for long periods of time BUT it is a very light bike and is more suited for town rides,etc. I still love the bike as it is VERY agilie ..you can almost "think" drive it !!! Put 6300 kms on it last year !! ( I still have it in my garage)

So everyone says...if you are touring get a bigger bike !!!!!!! So my brother-in-law finds me a 1999 Yamaha V-Star 650 (got it late summer last year)... again a pretty good deal !!! Do a few small things to and go on a few trips...WELL........... the "cool" factor is there BUT my back and tailbone fall asleep after 45 mins - 1 hr in the seat !!! It's ok and don't mind riding it BUT not in love with it !!! Put about 3000 kms on it last year !!

So this spring rolls around.....what to do .....everyone I ride with is getting BIGGER bikes (1 Litre and larger)...what to do..hmmmmmmm.......look at everything Honda has....look at Ninja's......really like the 400 BUT it's a sleeved down 650...so that doesn't make sense..smaller motor - same weight as 650...and I am kind-of a Honda guy so why not just buy a 600. Don't really like how bent over you sit on a CBR600rr (I know I am old) PLUS I don't want to die quite yet as those are a pretty fast bike. So look at a CBF600...kind of cool but mixed reviews on the 'net..hmmmmmm what to do.......
WELL 2 weeks ago I bought my new bike AND I LOVE IT !!! (only about 500kms though) A new 2012 CBR250r...black !!!!! Perfect bike !!! Really easy to ride...almost idiot proof...can ride with easy on the QE2 and it gets great gas mileage too. I only have two weeks worth of input on this bike BUT so far so good. If you are a guy that wants to RIP it up and show off ..this may not be the bike you want. But if you want a reliable, easy to travel on, comfortable bike ...give a CBR250r a shot. I don't think I am going to regret buy this bike !! I already have a couple good trips planned for this summer......Can't wait now !!! :D
(P.S. - I just got in from a ride on the CBR250r tonight.....what a great evening for ride....perfect weather !!)
:twocents:

raptor700rgytr

Reaction score
thanks for taking the time to write all that lol. it really helps me out. i went to the dealer ship yesterday and booked a test ride on the 250 just to see how it fits me i am about 6'4 and 210 lb. so we will see.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
FWIW I know a couple guys with the 250r down in the states and they say in the corners they can beat the 600 guys but then they lose them on the straights, reel them back in in the corner... you see how this is going. Point being there is a lot to be said about a light nimble bike. Kinda why I ride a yz250 not a yz450f.

Bullseye

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lots of people, new riders and seasoned riders love the cbr250. Its super agile, nimble, and has enough jam to have fun with. The 125 is a bike that is easily outgrown, but it seems this bike has reached a comfortable place in the market. I'm not a bike rider, but work in a bike shop, so I hear lots of feedback. On the Honda Demo ride lots of peeps raved about this bike especially when riding around Kootenay Lake. Super fun bike from what I hear, easy on insurance, and great on gas.

I rode my little weeBR (the 125) around Kootenay Lake last summer ......AND THAT IS MY ABSOLUTE FAVORITE ROAD I have ever rode a motorcycle on !!! Very nice road with gentle sweeping curves and incrediable views of the mountains and the lake. When I rode there last year , traffic wasn't bad at all , so could go the speed I wanted ......it was great !!(could concentrate on the ride NOT worrying about dodging vehicles) . Then across the Ferry and up to Ainsworth Hotsprings ...very nice after a day of riding !!!!

Here is a link to our trip to B.C. on the CBR125r........ http://www.hondacbr125r.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6549

That is ONE of the trips I want to take with my NEW bike !!! Man, I can't wait !!!!! BUT I am doing a nice ride to Banff and Jasper at the beginning of July...that should be a nice ride as well !!

Last edited:

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I rode my little weeBR (the 125) around Kootenay Lake last summer ......AND THAT IS MY ABSOLUTE FAVORITE ROAD I have ever rode a motorcycle on !!! Very nice road with gentle sweeping curves and incrediable views of the mountains and the lake. When I rode there last year , traffic wasn't bad at all , so could go the speed I wanted ......it was great !!(could concentrate on the ride NOT worrying about dodging vehicles) . Then across the Ferry and up to Ainsworth Hotsprings ...very nice after a day of riding !!!!

Here is a link to our trip to B.C. on the CBR125r........ Central Alberta to OKANAGAN AND KOOTENAYS !! - Honda CBR125R Community Forum

That is ONE of the trips I want to take with my NEW bike !!! Man, I can't wait !!!!! BUT I am doing a nice ride to Banff and Jasper at the beginning of July...that should be a nice ride as well !!

Awesome Buddy!! When you're in the area let us know!! I see so many people who stop into the store full of awe at the sheer awesomeness of this trip. The Selkirk loop is a big favorite too. Amidst the summer heat, Kootenay Lake is the most amazing Lake to take a dip in. It's cool .. but so freakin clean and refreshing. Ainsworth Hotsprings in the evening.. could there be anything better?...

Have fun on your ride!!

Trish :)

fj40

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A 250 CBR or Ninja would be a good starter bike. I met I guy that rode from Edmonton to Vancouver with his girl friend on the back of his 250 Ninja. He said it held 120 km all the way. I know a guy that has a CBR 125 not great for the highway He needs to move up in size. Check out insurance on the bigger bikes like the 600 cbr or Ninja. Hondas seem better built than Kawasaki.

JaySimon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Here is a link to our trip to B.C. on the CBR125r........ Central Alberta to OKANAGAN AND KOOTENAYS !! - Honda CBR125R Community Forum

Best. Road. Ever.

But don't tell anyone... :D:D

d mills

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A Buell Blast is a great starter bike as well. Very maneuverable. Torquey 500cc. Probably wouldn't out grow it as fast as a 250. Food for thought.....

Syncustom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey man im 5'6 155 and my first bike is a gsxr 600 and its easy to ride slow and learn on because 600s make all there power in the top.Id just get a 600

Bullseye

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well after a season on the CBR250r............................................... I LOVE IT !!! Runs like a top and is very enjoyable to ride. Got a "Ventrua" luggage system this summer for it and now set-up for touring. No complaints and I am very glad to have bought it. Travels highways with easy and I really enjoy it on secondary highways and in B.C. ! This thing corners like a dream and is very fun on twisty roads !! Nice for quick trips to town or for touring !!

I have around 7200 kms on it since I bought it in May !!
Tookit on a few trips :
1) Central Alberta-Cochrane- Banff- Revelstoke -Nakusp- Kaslo- Creston -Fernie and home. 3 Day trip (the only time-off) . Made lots of miles (around 2000 kms) but great weather . Wish I could have spent more time out there. Bike ran like a top...great mileage (around 57-60 mpg).
2) Central Alberta -Banff - Radium- Golden- Sask. River Crossing and home. 2 day trip. Quick trip just to get out and have fun.
And lots of just running around central Alberta !!

I ride with a few guys that ride bigger bikes...........and they ALL can't believe how good the little CBR keeps up. After we all stop for a break (gas or drinks,etc) , they all come over to my bike and stare at it . They can't believe how well it keeps up and does on the road. Great bike ....I love it !!

Next year I hope to get to Vancouver Island....tour the Island and then take ferry from Port Hardy to Prince Rupert and come home thru Prince George !! Hope to do a few more B.C trips to the interior. Can't wait for spring now !!!

PBNFLD

Reaction score
I would definatly go with a 600. If you pick up a kinda newer GSXR600, you can select 1 of 3 different power levels. It's changed just by a toggle on the handle bar. I think the lowest setting 60% power, great for learning. Hopefully whatever you bought, is working great.

Top Bottom