Cattle liners....

byronkentgraham

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Someone told me once to stick to things that I know. I seem to know less and less these days so I thought I'd learn a little.

The "doghouse" must be the trailer or pot. Are the double deckers carrying feeders? Are the haulers (Vanee, Walter, Gateway, etc) also running feed lots?

We are up to 2 pages now and counting.....not bad for something not in the least related to snowmobiles, eh!

Sorry just saw this and had to chip in.

The longest animals can go on a trailer without water is 18 hours. No sure where some of you got 50-80 hours :rolleyes:

Lots of the animals don't even leave the province as it is much more expensive to ship them south and a lot more work. Lots go to lakeside(Brooks) and Cargill(Calgary) even to moose jaw. All depending on the price. Right now very few of ours leave southern Alberta because of how high the price is here.

Very few of the companies have their own feedlots. The only one I can think of is Cor Van Raay but he also has his own packing plants and a lot of land. The man is incredibly succesful.

Usually not too far. Washington or Montana usually. There are HUGE feedlots(150,000+) in Colorado that dwarf most of the feedlots here. So they can cover most the plants there.

underdog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Someone told me once to stick to things that I know. I seem to know less and less these days so I thought I'd learn a little.

The "doghouse" must be the trailer or pot. Are the double deckers carrying feeders? Are the haulers (Vanee, Walter, Gateway, etc) also running feed lots?

We are up to 2 pages now and counting.....not bad for something not in the least related to snowmobiles, eh!

The "doghouse" is the very front compartment on a liner. Only about 5 animals can fit in it, and its right above the fifth wheel on the semi. :beer::beer:

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
The "doghouse" is the very front compartment on a liner. Only about 5 animals can fit in it, and its right above the fifth wheel on the semi. :beer::beer:

Thanks for the info.

Regarding the statement, "not many leave the province", I guess that is what started the whole inquiry. I see upwards of 30 trucks/day (with 90 head that would be 2700), five days a week going west through the Pass into BC and then into the States. Isn't that a lot?

I was recently in Eureka and no trucks went that way, so my guess now is Bonners Ferry in Idaho.

Still curious and contrary to some, I'm not writing a book....:d:d:d

T

TracksCanada

Just for the hell of it I kept track of how many liners went through High River a day. I think I started counting after 7 am and by 1 pm I looked at my paper and I had counted 116 trucks.

byronkentgraham

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info.

Regarding the statement, "not many leave the province", I guess that is what started the whole inquiry. I see upwards of 30 trucks/day (with 90 head that would be 2700), five days a week going west through the Pass into BC and then into the States. Isn't that a lot?

I was recently in Eureka and no trucks went that way, so my guess now is Bonners Ferry in Idaho.

Still curious and contrary to some, I'm not writing a book....:d:d:d

It's more like 30x40=1200 since most the ones going south are already finished and going straight to a plant. As I said it all depends on the price. We have had times where 95% of our shipping is going south and the exact opposite where VERY few go south.

2700 isn't that many. Lakeside in Brooks kills 4200 a day. We have a 17,000 head feedlot south of Brooks and it's not uncommon or us to ship 8-10 loads a day(9loadsx40animals=900perday)

I did miss Utah though lots going there.

Don't worry about it. Always happy to help. I'm the same way always wanting to know abOut things.

Top Bottom