Cataract/Etherington 2012/13

Nitronix

Reaction score
We went there sunday, the trails were pretty bare around etherington. Decided to try to make the pass over to fording, 3 creeks are still open, tons and tons of rock still showing we did some wear and tear on our ski's thats for sure. but once we got over and into the pass there was about 5+ feet of snow. If you care for your ski's wait for a few more dumps but it was a hell of a lot of fun once we got up there. Ill attach some pics . 20121209_121324.jpg 20121209_123506.jpg 20121209_141152.jpg 20121209_141206.jpg

Summit X

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Pretty positive that looks like Fording in the last 2 pictures.... DO NOT PLAY HERE. It is out of bounds. You can't play anywhere untill you drop down into the BC side.

If that isn't Fording, I apologize in advance.

neddacsac

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Its mount Bolton and yes its out of bounds. You are still in the Don Getty wildlife area until you cross the AB/BC boarder. Thanks for the update and pics:)

maierch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Its mount Bolton and yes its out of bounds. You are still in the Don Getty wildlife area until you cross the AB/BC boarder. Thanks for the update and pics:)

Not to mention the fact it may be the most wind loaded slope in Western Canada!!! I've seen it come down more than once. So if compliance isn't enough to make you stay off perhaps your safety is!

Nitronix

Reaction score
none of us have ever been over there and there were no signs telling us to stay off.(or not that we could see, it was windy as hell up there) in fact there were already trails leading over there from previous sledders. How much farther is fording?

BRP QSC

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
just around the backside of that mountain and the snow gets way better as soon as you get there. where thos pics are taken from is a danger zone for landmines and avys. like everyone says.... STAY OFF that slope its nasty and oh ya your not allowed to be there.
Safe Sledding:d

On another note how was the trail to get there

Summit X

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
none of us have ever been over there and there were no signs telling us to stay off.(or not that we could see, it was windy as hell up there) in fact there were already trails leading over there from previous sledders. How much farther is fording?

you are correct, the signage is very poor up there, but it is only after you start to drop down the west side of the divide you can play around. i think a couple km back when you first hit the park bdy there is a sign on the trail, but it has been so long since i looked at it i'm not sure how clear it is with in bounds vs. out of bounds. with the way the wind howls up there (on the pass), you can't just follow tracks, you need to know your way over. your morning trail will usually be blown in the afternoon on your way out, so it is honestly best if you go with somebody who knows the way once or twice before you give'r yourself. if you didn't make it down the other side, you haven't seen the good part yet...

Nitronix

Reaction score
just around the backside of that mountain and the snow gets way better as soon as you get there. where thos pics are taken from is a danger zone for landmines and avys. like everyone says.... STAY OFF that slope its nasty and oh ya your not allowed to be there.
Safe Sledding:d

On another note how was the trail to get there
Well thanks for the heads up, we thought that was fording haha ch!t!
The trail up there was ruthless tons of bare rock area's 3 open creeks. i wont be going back until a few more good dumps come in

calgarysledguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Well thanks for the heads up, we thought that was fording haha ch!t!
The trail up there was ruthless tons of bare rock area's 3 open creeks. i wont be going back until a few more good dumps come in

That is Fording Pass. You were just riding on the Alberta not legal side. About 1/4 k west ride till you get stuck,lost or hit a rock.It can be tricky up there. Blowing snow has had people lost up there. And ones that have been going over for years. Its not much of a trail.Its just knowing where your going :)

Summit X

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The trail is pretty rough at best all year long but I guess thats the way the old girl likes it;)

Certainly keeps the traffic down!!

And only 3 open creeks creeks?? That is getting better, it was 4 open creeks on Dec 1st.

Last edited:

Highfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Need to know conditions Cateract.... will be taking my Dad there Sunday. Thinking we will head as far south as possible....

unkle dirrt

Reaction score
Ya that was me out there today. Went south on 940 from cataract. When we turned of the road onto the trail the bridge was out and unpassable. Bummer really had to go back to the staging area and access the trails via that long shitty straightaway which had almost no snow mostly gravel. On the bright side once we headed up skyline the snow was great. We decended down once we got to the top and headed towards oyster. Snow was decent for the most part around there. Its comming along anyway.

Top Bottom