Cataract Creek Snowmobile Area Thread for 2014/15

Neil403

Reaction score
Rode into fording earlier in the week, the pass sucked as per usual. Decent snow in the valley, but still very little base.

mikeo2

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
I am looking to head out for a ride on Sunday and would like to give cc a try. Never been there yet and would really like to check it out. Hopefully, that area got some of the snow Calgary got last night. Let me know if anyone would like to join up or if you have room for an extra in your group. No interest in going over the top into BC this trip - just a get to know cruise.

Correction - After spending some time outside getting my sled from the dealer and seeing the forecast getting worse I will not be going out tomorrow.

interested in going Monday? I'm in the same boat as you and I'd like to get some break in done on my new T3

JZ1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Are distances in between trail junctions on map in km or miles?

JZ1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,
I am looking to head out for a ride on Sunday and would like to give cc a try. Never been there yet and would really like to check it out. Hopefully, that area got some of the snow Calgary got last night. Let me know if anyone would like to join up or if you have room for an extra in your group. No interest in going over the top into BC this trip - just a get to know cruise.

Correction - After spending some time outside getting my sled from the dealer and seeing the forecast getting worse I will not be going out tomorrow.

I was out today and it was -20 in the CC parking lot. Rode south to the skyline area and it felt much much warmer out on the trails, did not feel like -20

JZ1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
image.jpg image.jpg

This is was up at the south skyline junction. Snow is decent, anyone that says it's sh1t is more than likely saying so so less people go out lol.

Only got a few hours in cause I'm a complete dumbass and forgot to put oil in the wife's sled, duhh. On the way back to CC parking lot I blew a belt, all in all it was still a good day.

One thing i noticed is that all the sledders I've talk to or passed on trails are friendly and more than willing to help a guy out. Looks like a great group of guys that frequent the area.

Last edited:

Kaz Dog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I haven't posted in a while, but I'm back!

The new map is just about finished, and will be posted when it arrives to me on this thread.

I am headed out this weekend, staging out of Cataract Creek, to run the entire system prior to the C.S.C. POKER RUN on Saturday, January 17. A route will be planned/set, given the logging activity on Hwy940/Wilkinson Summit Trail and the trail conditions at all the flood damaged crossing points. Any suggestions or opinions are welcome - here or PM me.

The POKER RUN will be $10 per hand, or 3 for $20, and include a lunch on the trail. It will be staged out of Cataract Creek parking lot, NOT Etherington.

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I haven't posted in a while, but I'm back!

The new map is just about finished, and will be posted when it arrives to me on this thread.

I am headed out this weekend, staging out of Cataract Creek, to run the entire system prior to the C.S.C. POKER RUN on Saturday, January 17. A route will be planned/set, given the logging activity on Hwy940/Wilkinson Summit Trail and the trail conditions at all the flood damaged crossing points. Any suggestions or opinions are welcome - here or PM me.

The POKER RUN will be $10 per hand, or 3 for $20, and include a lunch on the trail. It will be staged out of Cataract Creek parking lot, NOT Etherington.

Scott I may be able to flatten out some trail this weekend. Have it all at home now. Old boss is in town and will tell which day I can make it out. If someone is available next week sometime I can go out more.

Last edited:

JZ1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
5 or 7 check points are set up, at each check point you get a card, best hand at the end wins

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Sorry, guys for a silly question.
What does the POKER RUN mean?

A poker run is a organized event usually associated with a fundraiser for a purpose or a fun run along a set out route. You pay a fee with chances to win money or prizes. Could be a long distance or a short. A fun event with the opportunity to meet new riders and make some new friends. These are not races but a fun ride.
Poker Rally or Poker Derby are some other names they are called. Different formats for different rallies. Some draw a card at each of 5 checkstops and who ever has the best poker hand at the end wins, Some draw a number from each stop and it could be highest, lowest or hidden number wins the money. Hidden number I think is the best because nobody knows what number will win.
That is what is going on on the Jan.17 rally.
Or something like that

Kaz Dog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Great Glen, and I need to call you! Will try tonight.
Scott I may be able to flatten out some trail this weekend. Have it all at home now. Old boss is in town and will tell which day I can make it out. If someone is available next week sometime I can go out more.

KRSmith

Reaction score
First time to Cataract Creek tomorrow (new to Alberta). Planning to be at Cataract Creek stagging area around 9:30 if anyone would like to go for a trail ride and maybe show me around the area?

Kaz Dog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sledderglen and I will be basing out of Etherington tomorrow to take a snowmobile drag on a couple of trails. This is a test and opinion venture. Be aware that between 8:30 - 9:30 a drag will be on the trail ahead of you, going along Etherington Trail to the further west Baril Loop Trail intersection to Etherington - past the intersection of Raspberry/Baril Loop Trail - then looping around back to the Raspberry intersection.

Top Bottom