Cataract creek snowmobile area offical thread 2015/16

Reaction score
I am wondering something here and hope someone can let me know. While out at Etherington a week or so ago, I was touring my brother around Baril loop. My brother noticed, on that loop, that there were a couple (at least but maybe more) small little "trails" that lead off the main loop. These trails lead to open fields and seemed almost untouched.

The question is, are we allowed playing in those types of areas?

shawnmcgr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Can anyone provide some conditions on the trail over Fording and the conditions in the BC bowl? Looking to possibly take a friend out there to break in a new sled. I expect the trail to the pass is lumpy but hoping it's at least snow covered and all the creeks are passable.

DoCDoo

Reaction score
I am wondering something here and hope someone can let me know. While out at Etherington a week or so ago, I was touring my brother around Baril loop. My brother noticed, on that loop, that there were a couple (at least but maybe more) small little "trails" that lead off the main loop. These trails lead to open fields and seemed almost untouched.

The question is, are we allowed playing in those types of areas?

Last time I was out there these areas you speak of were pretty tracked out.

Prob not allowed but I don't see the issue. I never will when it comes to this stuff. In the summer in fluz areas I get the staying on trail part with water, swamp, muskeg etc but in the winter especially snow machine the damage to the ground is minimal to none.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

solarguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Can anyone provide some conditions on the trail over Fording and the conditions in the BC bowl? Looking to possibly take a friend out there to break in a new sled. I expect the trail to the pass is lumpy but hoping it's at least snow covered and all the creeks are passable.
Very little snow on top, better in BC image.jpg

solarguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It is definitely "the moon", was my fist time riding CC. Found some good snow and no tracks on the BC side.

Kaz Dog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
........to break in a new sled. I expect the trail to the pass is lumpy but hoping it's at least snow covered and all the creeks are passable.

If you are looking to break in a new sled, why don't you just run some trails, get some miles on it?

I spoke with Glen last night, and he and Dan were able to do some needed grooming yesterday. From what he told me, Etherington, Baril Loop, Upper and Lower Raspberry Trails were all double groomed yesterday......Glen says smooth as a baby's butt.

This means the path from Etherington parking lot to the "Y" on Baril Loop Trail where Baril Creek Trail to Fording Pass starts is now back in great shape.

Kaz Dog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Last time I was out there these areas you speak of were pretty tracked out.

Prob not allowed but I don't see the issue. I never will when it comes to this stuff. In the summer in fluz areas I get the staying on trail part with water, swamp, muskeg etc but in the winter especially snow machine the damage to the ground is minimal to none.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The trails back to this area are now groomed again. Again I will reference "the official line"/regulations - no off trail riding. That said.......you are correct, the ground, wetlands, and marshes are frozen solid. And given the large amount of snow in the area you speak of.........if there was a real concern, enforcement would be there.

Kaz Dog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Got out yesterday for the first time this year. Started off in Etherington and ventured over to Cataract covering a lot of the trail system. Went over Skyline and checked out some of the logging that is being done in the area. So many new roads to follow, new cut blocks. A few times we had a general idea where we were so I wont say that we were losts but wow it was pretty cool. Hope they do not deactivate the roads entirely, sure will be a huge upgrade to the area if they leave it as is.
I was a little worried about hearing they were logging in the area but depending on what they do next this could be a very good thing.

We are working with the government on this.

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
If you are looking to break in a new sled, why don't you just run some trails, get some miles on it?

I spoke with Glen last night, and he and Dan were able to do some needed grooming yesterday. From what he told me, Etherington, Baril Loop, Upper and Lower Raspberry Trails were all double groomed yesterday......Glen says smooth as a baby's butt.

This means the path from Etherington parking lot to the "Y" on Baril Loop Trail where Baril Creek Trail to Fording Pass starts is now back in great shape.

My baby`s butt still might have a few bumps on Baril. This trail was mogguled pretty good. Did what we could with what I have. Much better than what it was. This is your Trailpass Dollars in action. Do you have a trailpass to continue the trailwork going on out there?? We used our full tanks of fuel grooming yesterday. 1 sled ran out of fuel way down on Raspberry. Lucky made it to truck for fuel on other sled. Would of been a long walk at 5:00 PM.
Bigger groomer coming next week I hope. Need to prepare the trails for the rally.

Last edited:

Calgarymike

Reaction score
We have only ridden around our cabin on buffalo lake, we do not have trails or anything. My question is how easy are the trails access wise anything that can not be done by absolute beginners? And do we need a pass to ride here?

Thanks in advance for help

Highfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The area rocks for beginners! Unload and trail heads are right at the parking lots. Stay away from Skyline area as trails can get drifted in which requires side hilling skills. If you stay on the valley bottom you can go a long ways with out worrying about hills.

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk

shawnmcgr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Thanks, we may do that but he's really keen to see it perform "in the mountains".

Kaz Dog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We have only ridden around our cabin on buffalo lake, we do not have trails or anything. My question is how easy are the trails access wise anything that can not be done by absolute beginners? And do we need a pass to ride here?

Thanks in advance for help

If you're interested, on Saturday, January 16, the Calgary Snowmobile Club is hosting a Poker Run. If you would like to do some trails riding and learn some of the system, come on out. We can send you out with an experienced leader - which means help if anything is too dicey for you.

Kaz Dog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
BTW - there is no mandatory Trail Pass needed, but support through buying an A.S.A. "provincial" Trail Pass in support of the Calgary Snowmobile Club (C.S.C.) is greatly appreciated. Otherwise, a donation to the C.S.C. for trail maintenance and grooming is excellent as well. Thanks to all that do this!

DoCDoo

Reaction score
Was thinking of heading to Cataract tomorrow but heard from someone that was there today (second hand) that there is no snow and it sucked. I can't see that really from the snow that the city has gotten and that Eden Valley got.

Can anyone confirm?

I'm thinking one persons idea of crappy snow might be different than someone elses. Crappy because there isn't a foot of fresh or crappy because bare spots etc.

Thoughts?

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
Was thinking of heading to Cataract tomorrow but heard from someone that was there today (second hand) that there is no snow and it sucked. I can't see that really from the snow that the city has gotten and that Eden Valley got.

Can anyone confirm?

I'm thinking one persons idea of crappy snow might be different than someone elses. Crappy because there isn't a foot of fresh or crappy because bare spots etc.

Thoughts?
A little birdie told me that Sledderglen was out there today with a larger groomer working on the trails. He may be able to comment if he comes online tonight.

Top Bottom