Cataract 2011/12

calgarysledguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Hey guys, I'm new to central Alberta and never been to Catarract. Where is it and where do you guys stage? Thanks

Hello.Welcome to central alberta. Im sure there are directions and staging info all over in this section.Its been coverd a million times.LOL.Read some old posts threads get to know the area befor you get there.Have fun out there.A quick google search walla.

Directions: Located approximately 130.0 km southwest of Calgary. To reach the first two staging areas, turn west on Secondary Highway #541 from Highway #22 at Longview. Follow #541 to Highway #940. The Etherington Creek Staging Area is 8.0 km south on Highway #940, and Cataract Creek is 5.0 km further past Etherington Creek.

rnygaard

Reaction score
Thinking of heading out there Saturday Jan 09 just wondering what the snow is like out there and what weather forcast to look at to see if they got any snow the past 24 hours. Never ridin there looking foward to it also how far do you ride on rock over the fordon pass onto the BC side.

calgarysledguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Thinking of heading out there Saturday Jan 09 just wondering what the snow is like out there and what weather forcast to look at to see if they got any snow the past 24 hours. Never ridin there looking foward to it also how far do you ride on rock over the fordon pass onto the BC side.

READ READ READ. Answer to your First question there is no saturday Jan 09. Second question,what the snow is like out there if you go to page 18 and read about 6 posts you will know as much as the guys that were out there.Third question The closest forecast to look at would be Kananaskis,Longview,Elkford,Nakiska on Weather network.Forth question, its 11 mile ride to go over Fording and get to the back.If i had to guess of all the spots your skis touch rocks it would be a half Kilometer of rock riding.If you havent been probley a good idea to go with someone who has.You probley wont find the trail when you get to the top.

These links are updated almost every day.

http://tpr.alberta.ca/parks/kananaskis/XCSkiTrails Reports/SnowmobileReport.pdf

Last edited:

Bunn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Agree,,,,don't attempt without someone who knows the way.....you could spend a long time finding the trail.No snow up there makes it hard to find tracks.You might be able to follow the carbide scratch marks on the rocks.If you don't know,don't go.

rnygaard

Reaction score
planning on heading out for saturday wondering if any one will be out there that knows how to get over to the bc side, would love to ride it. Any help would be great thanks

Marley

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think I may head out there. Put new skis on but didn't get the new track on yet so its another test ride. I don't know the area so would be just putting around unless there were a fearless leader to take the troops higher.

cedric

Reaction score
Might want to put the old skis back on while you're at it. lol. You will be hitting rocks..., but it's not all bad, lots of fun to be had, especially if you go over the pass, but I'd recommend going with somebody who's done it before.

Marley

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Might want to put the old skis back on while you're at it. lol. You will be hitting rocks..., but it's not all bad, lots of fun to be had, especially if you go over the pass, but I'd recommend going with somebody who's done it before.
Went over the great divide last Friday led by calgarysledguy and laid some good double carbide stripes on the rock up top. They were the original dual carbide precision skis on the Renegade but they were not too good in the powder up there. I have the route tracked on GPS but I'm still too much of a rookie to go without experienced sled dogs.

calgarysledguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Bennito and myself decided thursday night to hit Fording on friday.Was a pretty nice warm day.About inch and a half of new snow in parking lot 2-3 inch new snow on trail towards fording and i dont know 4-5 inch fresh on bc side. The fresh from last friday was pretty hard under the new snow.Was alittle hard in areas.You could still see some of the tracks from last ride out. Area 59 was Sick.HAHAHAHAHAHA.We had a pretty awesome day back there with a few stucks ,nice climbs on the hills and some awesome flipping over the handle bar tree riding.LOL

201201131237311.jpg

201201131240502.jpg

201201131244371.jpg

201201131244372.jpg

201201131456291.jpg

201201131456293.jpg

201201131210441.jpg

201201131204562.jpg

DSC01330.jpg

DSC01334.jpg

DSC01336.jpg

DSC01340.jpg

Last edited:

hevy_chevy67

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've never went sledding in the mountains (flatlander from SK), and me and my dad (also never been in the mountains) were thinking about going to Cataract. We don't want to do anything serious, just maybe hit some trails and hit some powder in some meadow areas. Is it a good place to get our feet wet?

calgarysledguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
I've never went sledding in the mountains (flatlander from SK), and me and my dad (also never been in the mountains) were thinking about going to Cataract. We don't want to do anything serious, just maybe hit some trails and hit some powder in some meadow areas. Is it a good place to get our feet wet?

Yes this would be a good place to trail ride and maybe find some meadows with snow.Watch for stumps and rocks.Head south on the trail system.You can do this from Etherington(first one) or the cataract staging area (second one).Most major intersections are maked with a map.Pretty hard to get lost.just stop at them all and just keep an eye on where your at.Have fun.

300 wsm

Reaction score
Whats the deal with the gate at cataract is that ano ride zone? and has anyone been up in dutch or oldman ?

Top Bottom