Cataract 2011/12

macronut

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
went over the pass yesterday, and finally took the time to take a couple pics of trail on the way. this is a typical snow pack of the route, it never really gets much better than this. when you get over the divide and into BC it gets better, but i thought i would share these for anybody who has never been. its not a pretty ride over.

Open creeks!!! Great for washing the sleds off lol, thanks for the pics!

warrentb68

Reaction score
Is it worth heading out to Cataract for a test and tune ride with the wife, so she could get use to sledding for the first time or should a guy just wait? I sure dont want to be riding through creeks or rock too much but those pics that Summit X posted kind of worry me..... or is that just a different area?

calgarysledguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Is it worth heading out to Cataract for a test and tune ride with the wife, so she could get use to sledding for the first time or should a guy just wait? I sure dont want to be riding through creeks or rock too much but those pics that Summit X posted kind of worry me..... or is that just a different area?

You would be fine out there on any of the trail system.Just dont head towards bc(fording)and you will be fine.That is where summit X pictures are from.You may need scrachers on your sled..dont think they got much fresh in a while out there.

Summit X

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

yes - as calgarysledguy mentioned, you are 100% good to go ride the trail system. the further south and west you go the trails are the best, or at least they were when we did a trail ride on boxing day. great coverage, nothing like the trail that goes over the pass which are the pictures that were previously attached. you won't find any open creeks on the normal trail system. giver'!! its where i take my wife to learn too!

crookedkbw

Reaction score
hey im looking for some info about cataract area ie. how to get there? (from longview) current conditions? somewhere where i could get a map of the trails? is there a trail fee? is this a avalanche prone area? any info would help thanks in advance!

polarice

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

was there yesterday with a first timer and its great for that

Plattler

Reaction score
Member Bunn, his brother and I were in the south end of the area today. Snowed a couple of inches down south. Skyline has 4foot drifts at the summit. Good coverage and if it continues to snow it will be great this weekend. The logging road
is closed to traffic just passed the second photo (not sure what the kms are to that point) so we couldn't get to the falls.

Skyline summit.jpg Southend.jpg

Summit X

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
just got back from a ride today - another 6 inches of snow on all the southern trails. all tracks have been covered and trails are smooth again! the same can't be said about the northern trails.... what a difference a couple km's makes!!

Nitrobkr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was over fording yesterday and today and the snow once you get over was great. Huge thank you to the persons who made the trail possible for us to go over and play. If you ever need a hand with anything out there please let me know. And of course i am always up for a ride with anyone. If I could offer any advice after what we came across today, some of the trails up are a little hairy for short tracks or inexperienced riders ( which ever it doesn't matter not trying to single anyone out) either way if you don't ride smoothly up or not make it, it sure makes a mess of tight trails.

daves

Reaction score
We r heading out there saturday and i might b up for a ride friday

cedric

Reaction score
I was out for a ride yesterday. Does not look as nice as the above photos any more, but it sure was a nice day to be out in the mountains. Still plenty rideable on the upper trails, the trails out of the staging area are pretty thin and hard. A big thanks to the guys that gave me a lift back to town after my truck wouldn't start, and more thanks to Snowgood who drove me back out there in the dark last night to retrieve the sled and truck. A new battery for the truck and all was well again. Weird that it wouldn't start with a boost. I guess the battery was f'ed up good, I think it was original to the truck, a 2007 model.

Summit X

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the radar looks to be showing rain over the area right now... let me know how it is!

cscherer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just drove out to the road closure......raining by the ski hilll but snowing as you go up, and coming down good when we left. I did not see any thing that indicated sledding allowed in the area, we went all the way up through lougheed way past boulton creek......did I miss something...

Top Bottom