Castlegar/Kaslo/salmo conditions

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How are the conditions out in castlegar, salmo, kalso area? Looking to go riding in one of the areas for a couple days or so.

freeflorider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Super crappy out here. Big lack of snow, revy might be the choice place to ride. On average right now aprox 3-4 feet at 5000 ft mark.

ss_badaz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Only place found good snow last weekend was on the Lee side of the mountain at about 6800'. Seamed to be close to a foot more snow just from wind loading, blowing from the upper peaks down into the trees and we were stuck all afternoon working our way up ;) clipped no rocks unlike the Norns day before above Shaw.

ss_badaz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ha ya right! let's say there was just enough to ride, then Gary plowed the road up to Grassy next day for some log hauling :( crazy they been logging up there for 100 years and still coming out of the same spot and it even burnt twice lol.

goldtip

Reaction score
Sorry if this is a thread jack, but how are the Avy conditions in the Castlegar/Salmo area? Some of us 509 area code boys are headed up there this Saturday morning for a couple days riding. I read the "special warning" issues by the Canadian avy center for this coming weekend, but wondered what you boys on the ground thought of the conditions. I'll be riding an '07 rev with a red reaper on the hood, riding with a guy on a black and orange XM, if any of you locals spot us flag us down and we'll have us a palaver.

freeflorider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Still a little unsettled. As always rider beware. Dumps of snow fallowed with rain and now cooler temps....sun. Big mix so anything is possible, play it safe out the guys.

goldtip

Reaction score
We rode up Post Cr and around the airport and Jokers Knob saturday, snow was hero snow with no bottom if you did decide to run a trench, great views and weather and great tree playing all day. Came from the same side and dropped into Ladybird and to the cabin on that side. Obviously stayed off the avalanche chutes and just played in the trees and meadows in the bottoms. Was great trip and great country, would love to have had a foot of fresh to play in, but just the way it was the riding was twice as good as what I've been into this year in the NE Washington area. I will be back to Castlegar again this season, had a blast!D

goldtip

Reaction score
Any recent snow reports for the Castlegar area? Me and the some other 509 area code guys and our wives are coming back up to the area the weekend of the 15th. Any new snow lately? Avy danger calmed down much?

Team Pigeon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Avy danger has calmed down. Check avalanche.ca website for details on that.

Logging is done on ladybird road but she's still plowed so it's a minimum 10km trip up before any parking. We haven't organized to groom that side yet.

No new snow in a while. There's some precip in the satellite but who knows.

My stashes are mostly depleted so were pushing and exploring new areas.
Don't expect to be dazzled unless your into groomed trail, it's done every week on club side.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That sounds typical of anywhere right now. Hopefully that precip in the forecast is snow up top.

Is Goose Cr road the better option if they are logging up that way?

The regular 10 day Kootenay trip is next weekend. Hopefully no broken bones this year.

sent from a top secret location

goldtip

Reaction score
Rode Castlegar area Sunday and Monday this past weekend, was up Pass Creek Sunday and other than the clouds being right at or slightly above the Airport and Jokers, the powder and riding was the best my group has had all year. Powder measured in 2'+ range and playing in the trees and in the meadows was just tremendous, we were the first up the trail past the warming cabin, so it was all untracked. Had the sun been out it would have been a dream, as it was it was just the best time I've had on a sled this year! Rode Bombey on Monday, snow was heavier and the fog was low, so visibility was poor, but was still a great ride. Have to say thank you to the town of Castlegar for their hospitality as every local sledder we have met has truly been great to be around! Hoping to possibly make it back up their in late March.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The snow has come, more is needed. Day six riding today. Been up Norns, it was skinny in areas, Giveout was better, Sunday/Monday, wow lots of fresh. Rode some secret stashes. I am sure the locals ride there too. Back to Giveout yesterday. Love midweek riding in the Koots.

Been riding out here for several years now. Mostly because of the family here but it never ceases to amaze me how much riding there is. The locals have a lot of stashes they keep secret and are generally willing to take you to them.

Don't forget to be generous and donate your trail fees at the cabins or trail heads.

freeflorider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The snow has come, more is needed. Day six riding today. Been up Norns, it was skinny in areas, Giveout was better, Sunday/Monday, wow lots of fresh. Rode some secret stashes. I am sure the locals ride there too. Back to Giveout yesterday. Love midweek riding in the Koots.

Been riding out here for several years now. Mostly because of the family here but it never ceases to amaze me how much riding there is. The locals have a lot of stashes they keep secret and are generally willing to take you to them.

Don't forget to be generous and donate your trail fees at the cabins or trail heads.

This is so true. But us locals need some areas we keep to our selfs lol...right now there's more then enough to go around! Ride on guys just be safe out there and live to ride another day.

goldtip

Reaction score
This is so true. But us locals need some areas we keep to our selfs lol...right now there's more then enough to go around! Ride on guys just be safe out there and live to ride another day.

Don't blame you at all there freeflo! I keep some secret stashes back home in Montana to myself as well! But once again, have to compliment all the local riders I've met around Castlegar as they have been happy to show me some untracked pow that I would not have found! It's snowing here in SpoVegas today and will be riding locally this weekend, but will be making my first trip to Golden next Thursday and can't wait!

freeflorider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We are getting hit with snow dump after snow dump. Small amounts down low but sounds like its deep in the hills. Just waiting to go out today as soon as my slacker buddy's get there s#*t together.
thinking all areas are high avi danger so play safe.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Rode from Goose yesterday, snow was better at Giveout the day before and even better up Crusader the day before that. The best snow was deffinetly from Crusader to the mines for back to back days.

Off to Sicamous now.

Top Bottom