Caribou Death Statistics

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
They sure did. Kicked them out of the chopper in the mountains, and here they were in the valley bottom a week later. Didn't take long for the Cougars and Wolves to get 'em after that. Notice the lack of snowmobiles. :headscratch3:

View attachment 202452

hahaha, has to be an old sled trail around there somewhere.... isn't that how the reindeer move about? lol

LID

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There was one study done that sealed the fate for snowmobilers, everything was based off of this one study. They wanted to prove that caribou move when snowmobilers show up and the study showed this.

I think the study that was referenced by the BC government back then wasn't really ever read, they just kept referring to a "study" and therefore closed areas. Since they had a "study" they had to blame sleds.

I seem to remember the part of the study regarding snowmobiles was about a paragraph long and was all opinion, no evidence or facts. Just said "and predators may use snowmobile tracks to access higher elevations"

iceman5689

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Google reindeer and caribou.... Northern caribou, mountain caribou and woodland caribou, etc, are one and the same.

Genes are same, it's their habitat and location that spreads them apart. Northern caribou are doing just fine, numbers are steady and only species we can hunt.

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Survival instinct will move the heard wherever they feel suits them best. Whether it be pressure from man, machine, predators, food supply, or other factors these are all influences in this. As far as snowmobile activity being a possible factor, I believe based on the evidence it is a very very small percentage. If even at all. It's a joke to pin it on sleds as the problem. No scientist or wildlife tech (or whatever you call them) doing a study can honestly use the evidence to support this. Only those with a second agenda or paid by the leaf lickers or helicopter ski outfits would do otherwise.

The Kickass One

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well consider this. The picture in the Lumberton trails thread that you correctly identified as the back end of Cooper Lake was actually closed for sleds to protect Caribou until we finally managed to get it back this year. Hasn't been a Caribou there since about 1996. Food for thought.

That's good to hear for sure. I still think closing an area for wildlife issues even just to confirm if their is an issue or not is good management practise. Working together on issues is better than butting heads. IMO

Top Bottom