Candles to Remember 2010......

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
Dear Snowmobile Clubs and Riders,

Winter of 2008-09 – A devastating year for mountain snowmobilers
Canada experienced a record number of snowmobile related avalanche fatalities

The public has not forgotten….nor has the media.

Join us in this opportunity to create a “Good News Story” and support avalanche safety for snowmobilers.

On February 26, 2010 we are launching “Candles to Remember”, an annual fundraiser in memory of snowmobilers who have lost their lives to avalanches. The money raised through this four-week fundraiser will be presented to the Canadian Avalanche Centre (CAC). The proceeds will fund snowmobile specific avalanche initiatives and awareness campaigns.

Our goal is to motivate at least 20 Groups across Canada to sell 160 candle sets each. An opportunity to donate more than $20,000 to back-country safety all in one month, you too could be a part of this!

How to join us:

1. Call or E-mail me with your club info so I can send you order forms.
2. Hand out order forms to club members or anyone who wants to participate, they go to their friends and family and collect orders and money. Cash or Cheques only, cheques must be made out to Canadian Avalanche Centre
3. Once order’s and money are collected, make sure that your club name is on the form
4. Send orders and money to me, I will then submit the orders and 35% of the profits will go to the CAC.
5. Orders will be sent out to the main contact on each order form for them to hand back out to their friends and family.
Orders must be submitted by Midnight March 26, 2010

Top club or group that sells the most candle sets get a Custom Avalanche Workshop courtesy of Zac’s Tracs

Top individual sales will also be awarded.

This program is very dear to my heart as I lost two special people last season. While efforts like this will not bring these men back perhaps our activities will save other families from a similar loss. We all have too much to lose. Let’s take action to reverse this trend.

Please do not hesitate to contact me for more information.

Sincerely,
Smiley (Sherry)
780-719-7045
sherrylynn@datanet.ab.ca

All Vendors interested in supporting this cause please contact for more information:

TylerG (Tyler)
780-991-9507
tygeddes@telus.net

Smiley

Reaction score
Ok EVERYONE!!!!

This is how easy and fast this project is grabbing attention.

I just had a lady ( that I never met ) phone me, she brought me an order form filled out. 22 Candles sets!!!!! Amazing

So do you want the top prizes supplies by our vendors!!! I know you do, show your friends and family, co-workers. Its such a good cause.
CAC is using the money raised to help us!!! Snowmobilers!!!!

Together we can make a difference

found

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I am a little disheartened with the following:

Sherry (Smiley) had started this fundraiser Feb 26, now after this latest tragedy here is where the numbers stand.

The fundraiser to date orders submitted is as follows
Total 160 candle sets sold
Over half of them sold are from non snowmobilers.

Sherry has put herself out there to the media, stating that not all snowmobilers are "Bad" "redneck idiots" She was trying to raise a good news story for US SLEDDERS stating that we care........
But yet when trying to raise money for OUR SPORT we can not pull together.... Why is this?

How sad is it going to be when the Media asks for the total numbers raised and She will have to state that We as snowmobilers only raised $1000.00 for the Canadian Avalanche Center.

These are the people that put out our bulletins...... It's sad to watch how this past weekend has turned into yet another verbal boxing match between the sledding community and the media/and non sledders. From where the numbers stand now it’s fair to say the media and non sledders are going to come out on top again.....

Sherry has been defending the sledding community with her heart and soul and is having to put on a smile when talking to the media while they have tried attacking her on our personal tragedies (which was for the most part not aired) and questioned whether snowmobilers actually care about safety.

I am very proud of Sherry for starting this fundraiser as she has finally found a way to turn not only our personal tragedies but the sport as a whole into something positive. This fundraiser is supposed to be for us to REMEMBER ALL OF OUR FALLEN COMRADES and to remind us of how fragile our own lives can be.

Can we please turn this verbal boxing match around? I think and hope our actions can speak louder than our words.

I know sledding is thought of as a "GUY" sport but the intention behind this fundraiser is what really matters. I understand that a lot of the "GUYS" out there are uncomfortable with the idea of buying and or selling candles, but come on we (females) are not going to think any less of you in this case.
We will really think more highly of you for putting yourselves out there for a good cause.

Sledders say that they stick together and support each other, must I remind you that Sherry is trying to do a good thing for all of us and that she is a sledder (born and raised). We have a week and 4 days left of this fundraiser let’s try and bring the numbers up so we can be proud of ourselves as a sledding community and show the non sledders/media that we do care and are trying to make a difference.

Hats off to Sherry for taking a stand and starting this (not saying this as her mother but as a fellow sledder)

A much needed "GOOD NEWS STORY"

Terry Beck

• Admin

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I am a little disheartened with the following:

Sherry (Smiley) had started this fundraiser Feb 26, now after this latest tragedy here is where the numbers stand.

The fundraiser to date orders submitted is as follows
Total 160 candle sets sold
Over half of them sold are from non snowmobilers.

Sherry has put herself out there to the media, stating that not all snowmobilers are "Bad" "redneck idiots" She was trying to raise a good news story for US SLEDDERS stating that we care........
But yet when trying to raise money for OUR SPORT we can not pull together.... Why is this?

How sad is it going to be when the Media asks for the total numbers raised and She will have to state that We as snowmobilers only raised $1000.00 for the Canadian Avalanche Center.

These are the people that put out our bulletins...... It's sad to watch how this past weekend has turned into yet another verbal boxing match between the sledding community and the media/and non sledders. From where the numbers stand now it’s fair to say the media and non sledders are going to come out on top again.....

Sherry has been defending the sledding community with her heart and soul and is having to put on a smile when talking to the media while they have tried attacking her on our personal tragedies (which was for the most part not aired) and questioned whether snowmobilers actually care about safety.

I am very proud of Sherry for starting this fundraiser as she has finally found a way to turn not only our personal tragedies but the sport as a whole into something positive. This fundraiser is supposed to be for us to REMEMBER ALL OF OUR FALLEN COMRADES and to remind us of how fragile our own lives can be.

Can we please turn this verbal boxing match around? I think and hope our actions can speak louder than our words.

I know sledding is thought of as a "GUY" sport but the intention behind this fundraiser is what really matters. I understand that a lot of the "GUYS" out there are uncomfortable with the idea of buying and or selling candles, but come on we (females) are not going to think any less of you in this case.
We will really think more highly of you for putting yourselves out there for a good cause.

Sledders say that they stick together and support each other, must I remind you that Sherry is trying to do a good thing for all of us and that she is a sledder (born and raised). We have a week and 4 days left of this fundraiser let’s try and bring the numbers up so we can be proud of ourselves as a sledding community and show the non sledders/media that we do care and are trying to make a difference.

Hats off to Sherry for taking a stand and starting this (not saying this as her mother but as a fellow sledder)

A much needed "GOOD NEWS STORY"

Terry Beck

Could not have said it better myself Terry, I too am quite disappointed in the support we have received. There have been numerous phone calls between myself and Sherry as well as other. Sherry has been working EXTREMELY hard on this and its not easy. I was on location for the interviews on Sunday with Global and CTV, and needless to say there were points I knew she was getting upset but she held it together.

Our website is up now, its a very simple site, and yes this year we do ask for cash and cheques, however we will look into other methods of payment next year.

Whats it going to take to encourage you guys? We have awesome prizes on the floor for top individual sellers, and an even better prize for top group award. Currently from snowandmud, I have received 2 orders, for a total of 7 candle sets, with more in limbo.

Lets step up as a COMMUNITY and do something good, we need to get awareness out there, but without funding its not going to happen.

Proud to be supporting Sherry and everyone in this effort.

Tyler Geddes

sledslut

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
we at BowCycle South have the stuff down here to order the candles to remember. we would like to get word out that we are doing this as we dont have much time to do it.

we are only taking cash or cheque for this as we are not doing it throught bowcycle south but are wanting people to help in anyway possable.

Bow Cycle South 10 | Home 403-441-1299 ask for either Kirsti Drew or Lucas and we all can help assist you.

everyone should do this for our sport. its cheap. its less then a tank of gas guys!!

boots'bunny

Reaction score
Ok Boys.....time to get off your butts and do something!!!! You can put thousands into your sleds....so whats 20 bucks????!!!!!GOSH!
They are great smelling candles...and ANY lady out there LOVES candles.....
Come on BOYS......BUCK UP!

2003Summit

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone.

I didn't have time to go selling any candles but I felt bad about not supporting the cause. I'm sure many are in this position.

I just sent Sherry a check for $100. I invite everyone else to do something similar.

Right now please, the deadline is in a few days. Here is Sherry's contact info. If you were to send her an email I'm sure she will let you know where to send *your* check.

Regards,
Dan
Don't pm me, send email or call her:

Smiley (Sherry)
780-719-7045
sherrylynn@datanet.ab.ca

• Admin

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
Hi everyone.

I didn't have time to go selling any candles but I felt bad about not supporting the cause. I'm sure many are in this position.

I just sent Sherry a check for $100. I invite everyone else to do something similar.

Right now please, the deadline is in a few days. Here is Sherry's contact info. If you were to send her an email I'm sure she will let you know where to send *your* check.

Regards,
Dan
Don't pm me, send email or call her:

Smiley (Sherry)
780-719-7045
sherrylynn@datanet.ab.ca

Thanks very much for your donation Dan.....

All the contact info can also be found on our website

Zacs

Supporting Vendors
Reaction score
Website
www.zacstracs.com

Zacs

Supporting Vendors
Reaction score
Website
www.zacstracs.com
Here's a quick update...

Zac's Tracs began a fundraising drive for the Canadian Avalanche Centre back in October and through 3 separate initiatives we have now gathered $3405.

Follow this link to view the donors and consider joining in the effort. Online donations are accepted year round and there is more than one way contribute.

Thanks guys!

Smiley

Reaction score
Ok everyone here is a quick update!
Sorry that it took me so long, I was out sick for 3 week, then the work thing got in the way! lol

OK, so as most of you know the first set of orders was submitted which raised more than $3500.00 for the CAC SOO excited. Not including cash donations made through Zacs

I am still receiving orders...(Blue River) ( LOL ) and will be submitting the last of them ASAP

SO Please if you have orders sitting on your desk or at home, send them into me ASAP 5904 51Ave Edmonton AB T6B 2R1

sherrylynn@datanet.ab.ca
780-719-7045
HM 780-922-0430

Now I do understand that a few orders that were delivered were missing items, or had broken glass, no worries just let me know and I will get those items resent it’s that simple!

So I will post next week with the final numbers and let the winners know who they are!!!

So I would like to thank the following clubs for your participation

Fort Sask Snow Angels
Trail Seekers
Tri County
Trail Blazers
Mernum
Calgary!
Blue River
Eagle Valley Snowmobile Club

And a big thank you to Snow and Mud for its support

To Lori at Zacs for all her hard work, time and support. Putting the cash donations on her website.

To the CAC for all the amazing staff!

and to Tyler G for all his hard work, time and support!

and to the Alberta Snowmobile Association for its support.

and to all the vendor support that we had!

Also for all of you who participated and made this fundraiser a success!!
Thank you for your patience and support!

We are looking forward to running this fundraiser next year from Dec-March and are hoping to get more clubs involved, by allowing more time to get the info to you!

Sherry Waldroff!

dooryder

XP V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
sherry i would like to thank you for all the hard work you did putting this fundraiser together oh and tyler too i guess lol :d

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
Alright folks, we have finally tallied up our totals from all of the orders for this years fundraiser.

We'd like to thank absolutely everyone who participated in this fundraiser this season. We have done an excellent job on the fundraising for the CAC. We are very excited to announce our winners, and our grand totals.

Top Club's

• Fort Saskatchewan Snow Angels with a total of 588 Sets
  • Blue River Powder Packers with a total of 164 sets.

Top Individuals

• Tom Robinson (Catpride) with a total of 148 sets.
  • Sara Gillis (PowderGirl) with a total of 130 Sets.

All together we sold a total of 983 sets of candles. Totaling $6167.70 for the Canadian Avalanche Center. There was a total of $850.00 in Cash donations this includes overpayments on Candle Sets. Finally donations made through the Zacs Tracs website totalled $1525.00.

This all totalled up to a final contribution of: $[8,643.50[/I]

Way to go everyone.

We understand there are a few orders still outstanding and some that are erroneuos. Please contact myself or Sherry to get these sorted out.

This is a great start to what is going to be an annual ongoing campaign. Lets do bigger and better next year everyone.

Most importantly we'd like to thank all of our Vendors for their support.

• Snowandmud.com
  • St Paul Power Merchants
  • Zac's Trac's
  • Avalanche Safety Solutions.

Top Bottom