Candles to Remember 2010 - Fundraiser for the Canadian Avalanche Centre

Smiley

Reaction score
Re: Candles to Remember 2010......

I am happy to report that the Fort Sask snow Angels, are pulling threw this challenge, orders will be submitted on Wed!!!!
How are the other clubs doing?

found

Reaction score

Hi everyone!

I am a little disheartened with the following:

Sherry (Smiley) had started this fundraiser Feb 26, now after this latest tragedy here is where the numbers stand.

The fundraiser to date orders submitted is as follows
Total 160 candle sets sold
Over half of them sold are from non snowmobilers.

Sherry has put herself out there to the media, stating that not all snowmobilers are "Bad" "redneck idiots" She was trying to raise a good news story for US SLEDDERS stating that we care........
But yet when trying to raise money for OUR SPORT we can not pull together.... Why is this?

How sad is it going to be when the Media asks for the total numbers raised and She will have to state that We as snowmobilers only raised $1000.00 for the Canadian Avalanche Center.

These are the people that put out our bulletins...... It's sad to watch how this past weekend has turned into yet another verbal boxing match between the sledding community and the media/and non sledders. From where the numbers stand now it’s fair to say the media and non sledders are going to come out on top again.....

Sherry has been defending the sledding community with her heart and soul and is having to put on a smile when talking to the media while they have tried attacking her on our personal tragedies (which was for the most part not aired) and questioned whether snowmobilers actually care about safety.

I am very proud of Sherry for starting this fundraiser as she has finally found a way to turn not only our personal tragedies but the sport as a whole into something positive. This fundraiser is supposed to be for us to REMEMBER ALL OF OUR FALLEN COMRADES and to remind us of how fragile our own lives can be.

Can we please turn this verbal boxing match around? I think and hope our actions can speak louder than our words.

I know sledding is thought of as a "GUY" sport but the intention behind this fundraiser is what really matters. I understand that a lot of the "GUYS" out there are uncomfortable with the idea of buying and or selling candles, but come on we (females) are not going to think any less of you in this case.
We will really think more highly of you for putting yourselves out there for a good cause.

Sledders say that they stick together and support each other, must I remind you that Sherry is trying to do a good thing for all of us and that she is a sledder (born and raised). We have a week and 4 days left of this fundraiser let’s try and bring the numbers up so we can be proud of ourselves as a sledding community and show the non sledders/media that we do care and are trying to make a difference.

Hats off to Sherry for taking a stand and starting this (not saying this as her mother but as a fellow sledder)

A much needed "GOOD NEWS STORY"

Terry Beck

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score

Hi everyone!

I am a little disheartened with the following:

Sherry (Smiley) had started this fundraiser Feb 26, now after this latest tragedy here is where the numbers stand.

The fundraiser to date orders submitted is as follows
Total 160 candle sets sold
Over half of them sold are from non snowmobilers.

Sherry has put herself out there to the media, stating that not all snowmobilers are "Bad" "redneck idiots" She was trying to raise a good news story for US SLEDDERS stating that we care........
But yet when trying to raise money for OUR SPORT we can not pull together.... Why is this?

How sad is it going to be when the Media asks for the total numbers raised and She will have to state that We as snowmobilers only raised $1000.00 for the Canadian Avalanche Center.

These are the people that put out our bulletins...... It's sad to watch how this past weekend has turned into yet another verbal boxing match between the sledding community and the media/and non sledders. From where the numbers stand now it’s fair to say the media and non sledders are going to come out on top again.....

Sherry has been defending the sledding community with her heart and soul and is having to put on a smile when talking to the media while they have tried attacking her on our personal tragedies (which was for the most part not aired) and questioned whether snowmobilers actually care about safety.

I am very proud of Sherry for starting this fundraiser as she has finally found a way to turn not only our personal tragedies but the sport as a whole into something positive. This fundraiser is supposed to be for us to REMEMBER ALL OF OUR FALLEN COMRADES and to remind us of how fragile our own lives can be.

Can we please turn this verbal boxing match around? I think and hope our actions can speak louder than our words.

I know sledding is thought of as a "GUY" sport but the intention behind this fundraiser is what really matters. I understand that a lot of the "GUYS" out there are uncomfortable with the idea of buying and or selling candles, but come on we (females) are not going to think any less of you in this case.
We will really think more highly of you for putting yourselves out there for a good cause.

Sledders say that they stick together and support each other, must I remind you that Sherry is trying to do a good thing for all of us and that she is a sledder (born and raised). We have a week and 4 days left of this fundraiser let’s try and bring the numbers up so we can be proud of ourselves as a sledding community and show the non sledders/media that we do care and are trying to make a difference.

Hats off to Sherry for taking a stand and starting this (not saying this as her mother but as a fellow sledder)

A much needed "GOOD NEWS STORY"

Terry Beck

Could not have said it better myself Terry, I too am quite disappointed in the support we have received. There have been numerous phone calls between myself and Sherry as well as other. Sherry has been working EXTREMELY hard on this and its not easy. I was on location for the interviews on Sunday with Global and CTV, and needless to say there were points I knew she was getting upset but she held it together.

Our website is up now, its a very simple site, and yes this year we do ask for cash and cheques, however we will look into other methods of payment next year.

Whats it going to take to encourage you guys? We have awesome prizes on the floor for top individual sellers, and an even better prize for top group award. Currently from snowandmud, I have received 2 orders, for a total of 7 candle sets, with more in limbo.

Lets step up as a COMMUNITY and do something good, we need to get awareness out there, but without funding its not going to happen.

Proud to be supporting Sherry and everyone in this effort.

Tyler Geddes

lexy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If anyone wants to buy candles that is coming to Blue River this weekend Glacier Mountain Lodge is also selling them. :d:d:d:d

boots'bunny

Reaction score
Ok Boys.....time to get off your butts and do something!!!! You can put thousands into your sleds....so whats 20 bucks????!!!!!GOSH!
They are great smelling candles...and ANY lady out there LOVES candles.....
Come on BOYS......BUCK UP!

boots

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
come on peeps buy your *candles to remember* take that bundle of cash out of your pocket and put it towards a good cause ..... if the goverment see us sledders helping that out it will be in our best interest...

SnowXTC

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There is no excuse not to buy some candles or just donate to this cause. I bought 2 sets and managed to get it worked out so that someone in Canada wrote the check which was for more than 2 sets and then I sent him 3 sets of hood tie downs. I found a way to it work. Candles will go to the mother-in-law in BC. I used to ride in Canada a few times a year, but have not recently, but that does not mean that I am not going to donate to a worthy cause. I decided to do it and did what had to be done to make it work, even with me in the US.

What is your excuse for not participating? Help make a difference.

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I have put my order down on my form. 2 stroke oil flavored candles or berry something like that. It burns and makes my place smell nice. Give them away if you want.

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score

Alright folks, we have finally tallied up our totals from all of the orders for this years fundraiser.

We'd like to thank absolutely everyone who participated in this fundraiser this season. We have done an excellent job on the fundraising for the CAC. We are very excited to announce our winners, and our grand totals.

Top Club's

• Fort Saskatchewan Snow Angels with a total of 588 Sets
  • Blue River Powder Packers with a total of 164 sets.

Top Individuals

• Tom Robinson (Catpride) with a total of 148 sets.
  • Sara Gillis (PowderGirl) with a total of 130 Sets.

All together we sold a total of 983 sets of candles. Totaling $6167.70 for the Canadian Avalanche Center. There was a total of $850.00 in Cash donations this includes overpayments on Candle Sets. Finally donations made through the Zacs Tracs website totalled $1525.00.

This all totalled up to a final contribution of: $8,643.50

Way to go everyone.

We understand there are a few orders still outstanding and some that are erroneuos. Please contact myself or Sherry to get these sorted out.

This is a great start to what is going to be an annual ongoing campaign. Lets do bigger and better next year everyone.

Most importantly we'd like to thank all of our Vendors for their support.

• Snowandmud.com
  • St Paul Power Merchants
  • Zac's Trac's
  • Avalanche Safety Solutions.

AvyDaze

Reaction score
Website
www.avalanche.ca
The CAC extends a huge thank you to Sherry and Tyler for organizing this fundraiser. We are grateful for their support and everyone who contributed.
The Canadian Avalanche Centre (CAC) will direct The Candles to Remember financial contribution to update the On-line Trip Planner for snowmobile areas we will be increasing the amount of snowmobile terrain ratings available and incorporating a map viewer such as Google Maps to view information about avalanche terrain so that users can plan where to go according to the avalanche conditions of the day.

jeepchic

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I got mine and they are fantastic...cant wait to put them in the camper...the tins are awesome!!!!

Thanks to Sherry for ordering and TylerG for passing on the order to her...It all came in very very right!!!

fargineyesore

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The CAC extends a huge thank you to Sherry and Tyler for organizing this fundraiser. We are grateful for their support and everyone who contributed.
The Canadian Avalanche Centre (CAC) will direct The Candles to Remember financial contribution to update the On-line Trip Planner for snowmobile areas we will be increasing the amount of snowmobile terrain ratings available and incorporating a map viewer such as Google Maps to view information about avalanche terrain so that users can plan where to go according to the avalanche conditions of the day.
I hope that the CAC will make sure that if any media interview are done with regard to snowmobiling, this fundraiser is pointed out.

Smiley

Reaction score
The media asked for numbers so I have released all this info to them.

Good Job everyone

Top Bottom