Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
March 28, 2024 by Adam Malik

Canadians with EVs drive more than ICE drivers​

Image credit: Depositphotos.com
It would appear that those with electric vehicles don’t have concerns about range, new data suggest.

According to S&P Global Mobility’s analysis of the vehicle types that put up the most kilometres on the odometer, diesel and natural gas top the list while electrics came third, ahead of traditional gas-powered vehicles.

Battery electrics in Canada travelled more than 19,000 km in 2023. Plug-in hybrids were just behind that total by a little more than 1,000 km. Traditional internal combustion engine vehicles travelled about 16,600 km.

Both diesel and compressed natural gas vehicles travelled about 21,000 km last year, largely due to the fact most vehicles equipped with these propulsion systems are fleets and last-mile delivery vehicles.

“Typically Class 2, Class 3 trucks — they’re vans, they may be used for commercial work, last-mile delivery. And so they’re naturally going to get more miles per gallon,” explained Todd Campau, aftermarket practice leader at S&P Global Mobility.

The fleet side of things is where electrics are trying to penetrate. But the demands on weight for transporting goods or moving goods around for a day’s work are still a challenge.

“That’s not where the electric vehicle right now shines,” Campau said during the webinar, Insights on Vehicle Miles (Kilometres) Travelled in Canada, hosted by S&P Global Mobility.

Still, these numbers show that when consumers buy an EV, they’re not letting it sit parked in their driveways or garages.

“But definitely as you start to think about how can we move people toward electric vehicles, one of the things that we clearly have found is that when people do make that shift, those vehicles are getting used very similarly to what their non-electric counterparts were,” Campau said.

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What would be interesting to know is if these Electric car drivers had a ICE vehicle as well. If the EV was new and the ICE was older this would support the findings, everyone wants to drive the newest vehicle in the driveway. It would be interesting to survey the same people in 2 years to see if the mileage driven decreases on the EV.

Grinder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would beg to differ...in km i have been to the moon and back and half way there again.. Cummins..

Reactions: RXN

Trukker

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Most surveys are probably done in Metro areas like Toronto / Montreal so numbers are skewed compared to the rural and prairie provinces

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
S&P Global Mobility’s focus is on EV vehicles, have a major EV agenda, complete BS surveys, with friggin woke agenda and promoters.
I would be asking where they got their data from, and whom paid for the survey, before believing their propaganda!

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Has anyone in this thread driven an electric vehicle?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ha, not much sense if i can't even get to where i need to go, it's a look at me, see how woke i am event? If you have to tell me, or everyone just how good they are, can't be much good!

now here is a thought, if you are doing your part in saving the planet, saving gas etc and you are doing this with an EV, generally going around town, to work etc in a city, why the heck are you not taking the bus? riddle me that!

Last edited:

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
Wouldn't last for me, I have a 2021 Nissan NV200 as my work vehicle and it has 207000 K on it and I was in the hospital for an unable to drive it for a total of 5 months. I purchased this in the fall 2021. I do a lot of highway driving. That doesn't include my personal vehicle mileage.

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ha, not much sense if i can't even get to where i need to go, it's a look at me, see how woke i am event? If you have to tell me, or everyone just how good they are, can't be much good!

You’re scared of driving an EV because people will judge you?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wouldn't last for me, I have a 2021 Nissan NV200 as my work vehicle and it has 207000 K on it and I was in the hospital for an unable to drive it for a total of 5 months. I purchased this in the fall 2021. I do a lot of highway driving. That doesn't include my personal vehicle mileage.
I Agree, i'm not now but i was putting +/- 150,000 km on vehicle every year! Don't see Ev's in my immediate future, seems more likely Hydrogen could be a possibility!

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You’re scared of driving an EV because people will judge you?

No, seems to me that shoe is on your foot! nice Gas Light though! tells me all i need to know?

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
so you didn't answer my question? how long will it take you to go 600km +/- ? takes me 6-6.5 hrs, have done it in much less, don't recommend it though? So how long will it take? like monarch to Calgary and back abit over 600km, like turn and burn!

-

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
so you didn't answer my question? how long will it take you to go 600km +/- ? takes me 6-6.5 hrs, have done it in much less, don't recommend it though? So how long will it take?

-

There's 2 superchargers that are waiting to get turned on. Whitecourt and valleyview. They are completed just not yet energized. Typically they won't energize superchargers along a route until they can turn all of them on at once.
It's 609km. In the summer I'd guess about 25minutes charging. Winter probably 45minutes.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
BS numbers provided by city slickers. No way would a EV work for my lifestyle and I don’t want to try to get it to work for my lifestyle.

I know a realtor In Calgary who bought a tesla a couple of years ago, he thought he was saving a pile of money with all of the driving was doing, he sold it and went back to a Gas engine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There's 2 superchargers that are waiting to get turned on. Whitecourt and valleyview. They are completed just not yet energized. Typically they won't energize superchargers along a route until they can turn all of them on at once.
It's 609km. In the summer I'd guess about 25minutes charging. Winter probably 45minutes.

so in reality you can't even drive to Calgary one way? EV's are fine for driving in the city, but in reality rather useless otherwise?

and lets say to do this trip to GP from red deer, you have to wait 45min to charge to start, 45 min half way , another 45 minutes when you arrive, another 45 min, half way and anther possible 45 minutes as a just in case stop, 3hrs to twiddle your thumbs waiting, on a good day! ya electric is not the way eh?

Last edited:
Top Bottom