Canadian hcr circuit?

tantrumpipeline

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Few of us in our group were wondering if it would be possible to organize a small circuit hill climb/cross race circuit where competitors race individually through gates over obstacles in a moderate climb. By keeping it solo racers on the course and potentially holding such events at smaller ski hills over the month of April as they close to extend their revenue and entice hill owners you'd minimize liability involved with such events held in mountain/avy prone areas and you'd increase potential spectators and coverage. So far we are at the drawing board for ideas/insurances needed/ and ideas regarding ways to approach the potential hills in a way they'd be swayed to be on board with such an event, being in northern Alberta I can't see sponsorship/fans/competitors being an issue to find, we are hoping for four hills four weekends in April and want to have this setup for this year although really pushing it but by next April if we can get a solid enough proposal together to get ski hills on board. Looking mostly for anyone with experience in sledding or motocross events and any input on what to expect for walls we will smash into along the way other than the obvious liability insurance issue like any other fun event brings

SledMamma

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Few of us in our group were wondering if it would be possible to organize a small circuit hill climb/cross race circuit where competitors race individually through gates over obstacles in a moderate climb. By keeping it solo racers on the course and potentially holding such events at smaller ski hills over the month of April as they close to extend their revenue and entice hill owners you'd minimize liability involved with such events held in mountain/avy prone areas and you'd increase potential spectators and coverage. So far we are at the drawing board for ideas/insurances needed/ and ideas regarding ways to approach the potential hills in a way they'd be swayed to be on board with such an event, being in northern Alberta I can't see sponsorship/fans/competitors being an issue to find, we are hoping for four hills four weekends in April and want to have this setup for this year although really pushing it but by next April if we can get a solid enough proposal together to get ski hills on board. Looking mostly for anyone with experience in sledding or motocross events and any input on what to expect for walls we will smash into along the way other than the obvious liability insurance issue like any other fun event brings

Tabor Mountain in PG did it last year. It was so much fun! I was the only girl who entered and didn't quit when they saw the course ;) It was terrifying and I couldn't feel my legs after the first jump, but I would do it again in a heartbeat. I highly recommend contacting Tabor Mountain and ask them about how it went for them and what they would change. They have said they will be doing it again this year.

SledMamma

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Tabor Mountain in PG did it last year. It was so much fun! I was the only girl who entered and didn't quit when they saw the course ;) It was terrifying and I couldn't feel my legs after the first jump, but I would do it again in a heartbeat. I highly recommend contacting Tabor Mountain and ask them about how it went for them and what they would change. They have said they will be doing it again this year.

Also, world Snocross/Hillclimb circuit racer Steve Taylor lives in PG and would be an awesome resource for contacts, ideas, setup etc.,

tantrumpipeline

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Also, world Snocross/Hillclimb circuit racer Steve Taylor lives in PG and would be an awesome resource for contacts, ideas, setup etc.,
You are one of my favorite members on here for just such a thing, offers to help my girlfriend with growing experience sledding and now this, how do I get ahold of mr Taylor? I am beyond stoked to try and set this up

tantrumpipeline

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So are we all pro hcr circuit or is this a terrible idea? Our goal is to be family friendly and go with 500 and under junior class say 16 and younger to make it a family friendly circuit and ensure future with the sport and go 600 and 800 stocker classes 800mod class and open mod classes and see how it goes, a general consensus would be cool to see if we're onto a good idea or not would be cool as well as currently it's a pipe dream but well take any tips pointers or ideas to get this going and whether it's feasible or not, personally I want to make it a non profit event where the proceeds find the asa or the local clubs in which the events are held and maybe the SPCA because I have a soft spot for pitbulls but I don't want to get too pumped until I know what we're getting into

Himark

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
they have tried it at the ski hill in gp a few years back. it ended up being a no go, sucked for I was runnin. let me know how you make out on this. willing to sponsor. don't have the time to physically help out due to new little one and such...good luck

Heimie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would have to agree with SledMomma about contacting other racing and hill climb associations. Just a thought, for a starting event, which could be earlier in the season, rather then trying to cram a few in at the end, is the old Lake Eden skill hill just west of Stony Plain. It's been shut down for years, and who knows if the owners would be open to letting you use it. I would definitely be interested in this! On another note, how crazy would it be to hold it at Snow Valley in Edmonton! Probably get tons of people out to watch that! Not sure what the neighbors would think, but hey, just for one day, right? Or Sun Ridge just off 17th street in Edmonton. It's right next to the refinery where I work, and noise wouldn't be an issue, because of all the industrial in the area. And it's pretty much in the city, for attracting people!

Good luck, and keep us posted!

Last edited:

tantrumpipeline

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I kind of thought there was an effort a few years ago at nighthawk, thanks for the replies and info, I'll see what I can muster up for info through the people and places listed as well as start firing off emails to other organizations and see what tips and tricks they may give. Try and setup a western Canadian hill cross association

SledMamma

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Let me talk to Steve Taylor and get his contact info... I needed to pick his brain about shocks and putting on a snocross clinic, so he was on my 'to do' list anyhow. As for ages and classes, under 16 might be hard to insure, but I don't know that specifically. Tabor Mountain actually organized the event, so insurance was under their recreational umbrella anyway, and then of course, we signed waivers out the ying yang upon entering... I am meeting with the insurance company next week with regards to insurance for our snowmobile club's very first sled drag event, so I will ask about Hillclimbs etc.,

Drifter1

Reaction score
You should get ahold of Jason at Leading edge (arctic cat dealership in Kamloops) when I talked to him a couple of months ago he was trying to get a race at sunpeaks going for this spring.

turbo man 21

Reaction score
Sled Drags are March 8-9th. Tabor Hillclimbs/Snocross are after the hill closes. Last year it was April 20th. You gonna come up and play?!? That would be so awesome!!
hi the sled drags are in tabor march 8/9 ? where do they hold the hill climb at I would really like to come there for this

SledMamma

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
hi the sled drags are in tabor march 8/9 ? where do they hold the hill climb at I would really like to come there for this

Nope sorry... I should be clearer: not everyone is local and knows the lingo. The drags will be at Northland Motorsports park (drag strip) and the Hillclimbs are at Tabor Ski Hill after the mountain closes to skiing in the spring.

Top Bottom