Can anything be done?

Riverjet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've been looking for a truck camper for about 3 months. I finally find one that looks to be in really good shape. Went and looked it over and observed the owner had taken really good care of it. Very clean, everything works well, roof sealing recently redone, etc, etc.
The seller says it has been parked under his pole shed for years and it never gets used. The emergency escape hatch lid is missing and he has a small tarp duct taped over the hole. No biggy to me. Seller says there has never been any water leaks as he has made sure to look after any resealing that ever needed to be done. The unit is a 9.5 ft and is 11 years old. Asking price $8,000.00.
Talked him down and got it for $6,000.00. He says he needs it gone and is willing to take a bit of a loss.
Ordered a new escape hatch, (complete) and decided to have one of the local RV shops do the install. I go to pick it up and am told this camper has major water damage in the overhang and in the back corners of the roof.

Total cost for repairs...$6,000.00 :eek::rant::mad:

Called the seller and told him I wanted to return the unit for a refund and all I get from him is "the money is all gone".

Surely I must have some recourse in this? Misrepresentation? Any lawyers here?

HONDA310R

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've been looking for a truck camper for about 3 months. I finally find one that looks to be in really good shape. Went and looked it over and observed the owner had taken really good care of it. Very clean, everything works well, roof sealing recently redone, etc, etc.
The seller says it has been parked under his pole shed for years and it never gets used. The emergency escape hatch lid is missing and he has a small tarp duct taped over the hole. No biggy to me. Seller says there has never been any water leaks as he has made sure to look after any resealing that ever needed to be done. The unit is a 9.5 ft and is 11 years old. Asking price $8,000.00.
Talked him down and got it for $6,000.00. He says he needs it gone and is willing to take a bit of a loss.
Ordered a new escape hatch, (complete) and decided to have one of the local RV shops do the install. I go to pick it up and am told this camper has major water damage in the overhang and in the back corners of the roof.

Total cost for repairs...$6,000.00 :eek::rant::mad:

Called the seller and told him I wanted to return the unit for a refund and all I get from him is "the money is all gone".

Surely I must have some recourse in this? Misrepresentation? Any lawyers here?

Im sorry to hear this but i think since you bought it privatly thats is buyer beware and there not a think you can do! :(

goodngrubby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'd talk to a lawyer before you give up. When buying used stuff, it USED to be buyer beware, but I think that has changed a bit. In this case, I'm not sure, because they will say "you should have had it inspected before you bought it", but I would try anyway. Either way, sorry to hear that, it sucks getting screwed buying somebody else's headaches.

HONDA310R

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
On a plus note i bet you could repair the water damage yourself alot cheaper than $6000.00 thats at a shop rate of what $100.00/hr......it just gonna take you some time and some beers :D. Just replace the fabric insulation with sytrofoam and you'll be good to go! Do you have any pics of this Camper??

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It is buyer beware. You need to inspect or get inspected anything before you buy. There is certain things you can go back on seller for not disclosing, like if a vehicle was salvage, etc. But not because of issues. Besides, it is your word against theirs that the full condition was not disclosed before sale.

Sorry to say, but you have no recourse whatsoever. And no one is ever going to let anyone return anything, no saying something wasn't done to it.

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Best bet is insure the hell out of it and forget to tie it down then hit the trunk road...just make sure no one is behind U!

Bounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Best bet is insure the hell out of it and forget to tie it down then hit the trunk road...just make sure no one is behind U!

After the above PM me, I have a 9.5 Bigfoot camper for sale.....

EMANAARON

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya you have nothing you could do. Even when as is is written on the bill of sale it means no different than if you leave it blank. When you buy privately you have nothing you can do. Friend of mine bought a truck for 6 grand made it 15 km and tranny piled up. He tried everything to get the money back no go lawyer told him if it would have been a lot no problem at all to get the money back but private is buyer beware.

Ryeser

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That really sucks! Just bought a camper too, now I am thinking it needs to rain to see if I got the same type of deal... I think we could go take something else from this guy worth $6k...

bigdaddy35

Reaction score
Good luck, but like the others have said - buy it privately and it's "as is/where is" and no warranty, unless the seller stated no water damage on the bill of sale, then you might have a case.

Iron Horse Racing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Actually Statements like As is where is do not cover fraudulent misrepresentation….

You could take the matter to small claims court ….

Now there are two problems…..first you have to prove that he knowingly misrepresented the condition, not that it was there, but that he knew it was there and misrepresented it, if you can prove that you would win a judgment against him, now for the next problem…..collection….having won a judgment with some similarities to this….I walked out of the court room happy as can be that I was going to get my money back and legal costs to boot…..I have never seen a nickel…that’s another court case….....

Hence the old saying you can’t get blood from a stone…..

At times my thoughts went the other way re the stone and blood…..

Good Luck ……….our society has grown to trust no one…….but I still believe what comes around goes around....his day will come

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Exactly, there's nothing even saying that he had any idea what was wrong with it. Had my 5th wheel for 3 years, never any leaks, used it once this spring and boom the roof is leaking. It's old, just like the camper you bought they can start leaking anytime and unless your using it you won't have any clue.

When you sign that bill of sale and hand over the money you need be 100% sure you are happy with the condition.

I mean, if I bought a truck and one week later found out it was 2 frams welded together and hid really well or whatever. Yea I would go back on them. It has to be something HUGE like that to stand a chance. And it pretty much have to be some illegal repair in the first place or you got no case.

Trying to sue them will cost you nothing but money and headaches. You won't get anywhere. And sorry to say but I like it buy as is where is. Or else you'd have the flip side people buying something wrecking it and saying it was like that before, etc. It sucks everyones not honest but just the way it is.

sweld

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Actually Statements like As is where is do not cover fraudulent misrepresentation….

You could take the matter to small claims court ….

Now there are two problems…..first you have to prove that he knowingly misrepresented the condition, not that it was there, but that he knew it was there and misrepresented it, if you can prove that you would win a judgment against him, now for the next problem…..collection….having won a judgment with some similarities to this….I walked out of the court room happy as can be that I was going to get my money back and legal costs to boot…..I have never seen a nickel…that’s another court case….....

Hence the old saying you can’t get blood from a stone…..

At times my thoughts went the other way re the stone and blood…..

Good Luck ……….our society has grown to trust no one…….but I still believe what comes around goes around....his day will come
thats what the sheriff is for, you can cease his property to sell to recoup your money

Murminator

Timber King
Reaction score
1. I bet ya "AS IS WHERE IS" was the 1st thing written on the bill of sale he knew of the problems and cleaned it up the best he could thats why it looked real clean.

2. If a guy drops 25% off his selling price cause he needs it gone he knows of the problems thats why he wants it gone while he can still get something for it. He left you feeling that you were a way better negotiator than he was a seller ....but he won....The art of selling 101

3. the RV shop seen you coming also and want bent you over also...I would assume from the estimate shocker they were willing to show some new campers to reel from the pain rather than spending 6G on your old one. Clean it up drag it to the auction get what you can let the next guy worry about it, don't go laying out 12G for a 6G camper.....unless you want to then I can sell you one

ardypol

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I got ahold of a sorry case like that years ago, but I knew what I was getting into. Only paid $500 though. It had rot everywhere. I removed all the skin, rebuilt the framework, replaced insulation, put new roof and outer skin on. Cost me $3500 including new hydraulic jacks and new entry door. Did the job all myself. I looks like a new unit now, with the exception of the square window frames. Is your unit stick and tin, or hard wall? If it's stick and tin, I'd rebuild it. If you mark all the skin and locations of where they go on the studs, you can likely do the job yourself. The skin can be reinstalled. Just need to get ahold of air and a stapler.

Top Bottom