Can am diff lock?

m1000snopro

Reaction score
Can u swap out the diff lock in the can am so u don't have that visco lock anymore. I would prefer a full locker not a speed sensing locker. Thanks for the input!

scoobienorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
there is not anything like that, the visco lok works really well, but it is a different driving style, give it some time and you will make it work well, once it locks up just dont completely let off the throttle and it will stay locked up, just dont let the torque off the diff, if you know what i mean, besides the can-ams have great suspension, just hit stuff faster anyway.

Mikehunt

Reaction score
If it is an older can am you can swap it out for one of the new quick loc visco locks that lock up in less than a turn

quadboy55

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If it is an older can am you can swap it out for one of the new quick loc visco locks that lock up in less than a turn

At the end of the day, Visco loc is still Visco loc.

Yes, Visco Loc QE is better than the original Visco loc, but I still wouldn't get it. Its basically a torque converter in your front diff. The QE is just a "lower stall torque converter" so to speak.

The only quads that have a REAL locking diff are the:

Kawasaki (Manual clutch type front diff)
Suzuki/Yamaha (Manual 100% lock button/switch)
Polaris (Auto locking front diff)

Mikehunt

Reaction score
I haven't done it have read about a few people doing it on the highlifter forum

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
and the cost of that is ...............................

m1000snopro

Reaction score
the new thundercat has a full locker with the flip of a switch! it seems can am is the only one that has that set up

scoobienorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
At the end of the day, Visco loc is still Visco loc.

Yes, Visco Loc QE is better than the original Visco loc, but I still wouldn't get it. Its basically a torque converter in your front diff. The QE is just a "lower stall torque converter" so to speak.

The only quads that have a REAL locking diff are the:

Kawasaki (Manual clutch type front diff)
Suzuki/Yamaha (Manual 100% lock button/switch)
Polaris (Auto locking front diff)

the can-am does go to a full lock up, just engages smoothly and fully auto. i broke an axle in my outty while abusing it heavily and it still spun the other front tire with no issues at all, while severely bound up.And that was on an 05 400 with the weakest, slowest locking diff

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the can-am does go to a full lock up, just engages smoothly and fully auto. i broke an axle in my outty while abusing it heavily and it still spun the other front tire with no issues at all, while severely bound up.And that was on an 05 400 with the weakest, slowest locking diff

The Canam does not LOCK up in terms of both front wheels locked together in the front diff.In fact it is more like the KAWI system which in turn applies variable pressure to a clutch plate to get both wheels to drive when you activate the lever.
Yamaha,Suzuki,Artic cat and Polaris are the only atvs that LOCK up both front wheels together when activated....

quadboy55

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The Canam does not LOCK up in terms of both front wheels locked together in the front diff.In fact it is more like the KAWI system which in turn applies variable pressure to a clutch plate to get both wheels to drive when you activate the lever.
Yamaha,Suzuki,Artic cat and Polaris are the only atvs that LOCK up both front wheels together when activated....

The Can-Am's are like a torque converter, where as the Kawi's are like a Manual clutch.

KVF 700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The Can-Am's are like a torque converter, where as the Kawi's are like a Manual clutch.

Yeah I have a kawi and as long as you keep the cable for the diff lock adjusted good, it works fine. Kind of nice to be rippin through a mud hole and just grab it for full lock up and have a 4 not 3 wheel drive... Stupid old hondas lol

hadster

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah I have a kawi and as long as you keep the cable for the diff lock adjusted good, it works fine. Kind of nice to be rippin through a mud hole and just grab it for full lock up and have a 4 not 3 wheel drive... Stupid old hondas lol

I had a 2008 Kawi 750 and found the diff lock a big dissapointment, service would set it perfectly and after 1 ride it wouldn't work (properly) anymore. Most of the time it was hit and miss some times it seemed fine others it was 3 wheel drive. And the dealer went through it and told me it was working fine.
Aside from that and the weak tie rods, the Kawi was a great unit and tons O fun.

quadboy55

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had a 2008 Kawi 750 and found the diff lock a big dissapointment, service would set it perfectly and after 1 ride it wouldn't work (properly) anymore. Most of the time it was hit and miss some times it seemed fine others it was 3 wheel drive. And the dealer went through it and told me it was working fine.
Aside from that and the weak tie rods, the Kawi was a great unit and tons O fun.

On a recent riding trip we had a Kawi in our group get stuck in a snow drift. He had his diff "locked" but only 3 wheels would turn.

Top Bottom