Cadomin

grovegirl

Reaction score
My husband and I are thinking about heading up to Cadomin in a few weeks.
We've never been and are wondering where to camp and what the conditions are like for quadding.

Grovegirl

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Im very happy you found this site,looks like it will provide you with the info you need,As well as long lake I know cadomin very well and if you need additional info pm me but for now we will let the website do its thing.Im sure our members will provide you with a few great spots and all I can say is the quading out there is awsome!
catmando!

gladerunner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
is there any muddy spots in cadomin or is it all dry trials?

you can either take the river to Ruby falls or you can go thru the bush and skeg and mud....that should answer your question...took me 2 hrs to get thru it last time hahaha

hadster

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you go southeast of Cadomin up over The Great Divide ,there is tons of random camping spots all along the river (very nice views). You should find camping spots for many miles along the road there, i believe it's called the Grave Flats road. Try to pick up a " FLUZ"map from the hinton area it will show the roads and many of the trails.
Must see would be the Cardinal river headwaters trail and Ruby falls, bring along some warm clothes even in hot weather, it can be cold as you get up to the headwaters area (snowed on us in july). The trail to Ruby falls and back again will be most of the day (it's a little bumpy,lots of rocks etc.) bring a lunch etc.
Have fun out there.

Hadley

grovegirl

Reaction score
Are there any campgrounds in that area? It's just my husband and I so we would prefer a campground.

grovegirl

gladerunner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Are there any campgrounds in that area? It's just my husband and I so we would prefer a campground.

grovegirl

there is a campground there...but it is long abandoned.... its got the fire pits still and one outhouse with a chewed toliet seat(hahahaha). i had the whole thing to myself a couple of weeks ago...it was great
but dont fret the random camping is great...it u get the right spot you can run water from the river rite to your camper
the views are worth the "NO" campground any day

Maxell

Reaction score
Dont worry about camping there lots of great spots and lots of campers there good trails go and have a great time

Lane

Reaction score

grovegirl
Hi, don't worry about not being in a campsite. My wife and I have been going out there to Grave Flats for several years and have not had any problems, met lots of fun people too. In fact we are going back out there for 10 days or so again in early August. If you need more info on area let me know.

JimmyFlynt

Reaction score
there are 2 campgrounds on either side of the town of cadomin, but no quad riding inside these grounds. we have done the random camping around the town - much beter and of course its free. tried to make it up to the grave flats on May long but the road was driffted over wit snow and had to spend a night on the road right before the great divide.. good area but i would like to check out the grave flats area.

AB RANGER 007

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

grovegirl

When in Edmonton, go to the Information Centre,
Alberta Sustainable Resourse Development,
Main Floor, 9920 108 st,
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada, T5K-2M4

AND Pick up a copy of Forest Land Use Zones and Parks of the HINTON/COAL BRANCH.( No charge.)
Also if you are ever in Hinton, during the working week days, go to the Plant Office of the HINTON WOOD PRODUCTS site and ask for a FMA ACCESS MAP.
There is a donation fee for this map. It has all of the company ROADS on it.
North and South of Hinton. FMA stands for Fire Management Area.

;)

scareybanshee

Reaction score
I know there USED to be. I went last september on my honeymoon and found they closed off a huge section we used to ride in. We stopped and asked a fish cop where we could ride:nono:(bad idea)..lol...but then were directed to go past the provincial campground (not the one near all the mine roads) and we could go anywear. Well anywhere turned out to be down a LONG stream/river, luckily we were on the poloris and not the banshee;). It was absolutely GORGEOUS. I'll try and post some pics in the next few days for ya.
I would stop and ask the locals once your there. All seemed so friendly and helpfull...but not the bush bacon.:rant:

grnboyz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Beautiful country and trails for everyone, if you want to get muddy, or try to stay clean. Make sure you only quad across the rivers and streams though, instead of playing up and down them because the fish and wildlife officers are everywhere out there. Also, make sure you take your keys out of your bikes at night or chain or keep them together, because last year on some of the long weekends their was a few bikes stolen.

Jdog0

Reaction score
If you go southeast of Cadomin up over The Great Divide ,there is tons of random camping spots all along the river (very nice views). You should find camping spots for many miles along the road there, i believe it's called the Grave Flats road. Try to pick up a " FLUZ"map from the hinton area it will show the roads and many of the trails.
Must see would be the Cardinal river headwaters trail and Ruby falls, bring along some warm clothes even in hot weather, it can be cold as you get up to the headwaters area (snowed on us in july). The trail to Ruby falls and back again will be most of the day (it's a little bumpy,lots of rocks etc.) bring a lunch etc.
Have fun out there.

Hadley

Hi,

i was going through this thread and i was wondering if you could give me some advise?

i have never been to cadomin, and i wanted to go mid august. I have an 8' ft camper sitting on a 12' ft trailer, i have seen a few posts that say that the great divide is awesome, but i can see that you have to drive from cadomin, a good 10km aprox. Is the road good enough to take a camper like that?

is it easy to go to the mine while you are camping at great divide?

lots of grizzlies?

hope you can help me!

Thx so much!

johnny

Too Many Toys

Reaction score
You cannot camp at the divide. Closest place to camp near the divide is about 1 km past the top,down the south side of the divide, on the right. That is the trailhead to the Cardinal River Headwaters. There is a FLUZ map at the trailhead. Ruby Falls is at least 15 miles further down the Grave Flats Rd. i assume your tow vehicle is a 4x4. Quad in the back? If the road is wet, it can be a little slick coming back up the divide. Most guys with big trailers go down the Pembina River Rd via thru Robb. Definately recommend getting a map from SRD. Seen Grizzly tracks but thats it.

kbrunlees

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Go through Robb for sure and then head over to Cadomin, the Watson Creek campground is pretty decent an good price 11 bucks anight and free wood, or it was two years ago. We trailered our quads to the Cardinal River headwaters kiosk. or you go over the divide and camp at the many good sites on the road side. Like someone said there is an old forestry campground there about 14 km or so pas the Cardinal River head waters Kiosk that is hidden The GPS co-ordinates are N52 52.789 W117 01.386 There is more dead fall than you can shake a stick at (pun intended) It has old fire pits and some one has built a couple of decent out houses. Lot to explore. There is also an open area above the river on the right hand side that is big enough to take 10 12 trailers or tents depending on how wet it is. There is also room at the Ruby Falls Kiosk as well as the road across from the tower road. hope this is helpful. The road from hinton to Cadomin last I heard was a bit rough.

Top Bottom