Buying a new vehicle

Cat401

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Curious.......how much off of MSRP will a dealer go when pricing a new vehicle?

I realize if its a leftover from the previous year, the discount will be a fair amount but I'm talking new current stock....2018's

Truck market

Halon60

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I hate buying new vehicles. Lol. The first thing you need to do is build the vehicle you want on the manufacturers website. Usually that maker will give incentives before even stepping foot into a dealer. Depends where you work some companies offer a plan like cost +10% for example.
Once you get price on new vehicle figured out. Then you tell them you have a trade in or not. Save that for last. Hope this helps. Good luck.

Lunch_Box

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think in 2012 when I bought my Ram mega cab 3500 limited the sticker price was around $86,000, I paid $62,000.

Don't be afraid to shop around, the dealers need your business a lot more then you need theirs. Also look at reviews from people about warranty or repairs and such. Finding a good dealer that with work with you after the purchase is worth a few extra dollars in my opinion.

Cdnfireman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Curious.......how much off of MSRP will a dealer go when pricing a new vehicle?

I realize if its a leftover from the previous year, the discount will be a fair amount but I'm talking new current stock....2018's

Truck market

Based on what I’ve dealt on 4 ford trucks over the years, invoice is 89.5% of MSRP. And from what buddies have said in dealing with GM, that number is very close as well. Most dealers will sell below invoice from $500 to $1500 depending on the desirability of the truck, time of month and how long the truck has sat in inventory. Last model year stuff usually goes up to $2k below that depending on how bad the dealer wants to get rid of it.
Fiat appears to discount their stuff more heavily at year end than the other two, but I don’t have any accurate numbers as I won’t have one and don’t know anyone that has dealt on one either.
i just ordered a new 2018 superduty and the number I got was 84% of MSRP. That was the best price I could find in talking to 8 different dealers, and that number is all in, (fees etc) not including GST.

Last edited:

Cat401

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
what brand are you looking at?

Actually its for a family member.....they walked into a GM dealer (in Leduc I believe) and are being quoted full MSRP.....I told them to walk away and keep shopping

its on a 2018 sierra 1500

mathrulz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My last purchase was at the end of August a few years ago - they had 3 similar trucks on the lot in the current model year. Ended up a little better than 25% off msrp plus threw in a few accessories.
As mentioned, have to shop around - and it depends what you’re after. Ordering new vs already on the lot, new, but one year old, etc.

Cdnfireman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My last purchase was at the end of August a few years ago - they had 3 similar trucks on the lot in the current model year. Ended up a little better than 25% off msrp plus threw in a few accessories.
As mentioned, have to shop around - and it depends what you’re after. Ordering new vs already on the lot, new, but one year old, etc.

What make?

Cdnfireman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Actually its for a family member.....they walked into a GM dealer (in Leduc I believe) and are being quoted full MSRP.....I told them to walk away and keep shopping

its on a 2018 sierra 1500

If they can, tell them to wait till the middle of February. The incentives on the half tons should have started by then. Usually some good offers on half tons. HD pickups, not so much.

catalac

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
And as much as it sounds like BS shop the last couple days of the month, stealerships will be more willing.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Invoice price is irrelevant because 99.99% of buyers don't have access to this, if the dealer says they will show it to you, and you believe that's actual invoice, I have some AWESOME land to sell you, great deal! Fact is, the salesman don't even know what the dealer pays. I've lost count with how many dealers have showed me "invoice" or their numbers on the computer of what they paid, but it's all BS. There is so many rebates, bonuses, etc that you have no idea what they really paid. There is no magic % off of MSRP because as you get more expensive, the more you will see off. Depends on how sales are, time of month, how many are in stock, etc etc.

I think the best way is to go to a few dealers, grind them down as much as possible and see where the numbers are, you don't need to have one in mind. Not sure about GM, but with Dodge there is a few who offer pretty good starting discounts right on their website, if you find one with GM that would help, and no matter what they offer from the start, there's always more room to move. But it should be a pretty deep discount. Also be sure to be aware of what rebates are, some dealers will not tell you and try to make that up to be a discount, or leave say a $1,500 rebate out and leave it there for room to move at the end when you're close. January is a great month to buy as it's one of the slowest months for sales.

firstdoo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree with what most have said already. Both of my last purchases were in 2015, buying 2015 model years. One in July and the other in September. I'm not sure what the average off MSRP dealer will normally go down to but I do have some advice on the buying process.

1) You need to wait for manufactures incentives to come out before purchasing.

2)Don't let that stop you from finding exactly what you want. Start looking for what you want now. Get in them, find out exactly what options you want, and drive one to make sure its right. Once you've driven the vehicle you want (with all options) then the same truck at a different dealer is going to be the same truck.

3) Don't be afraid to shop out of town (once the incentives are out). Call RedDeer, Calgary, GP, Camrose, Stony. Give them all a call, and let them know you're serious.

4) When talking about pricing focus on the pricing. Don't worry about talking about interest rates, finance options, monthly payments, or trade ins - you'll get to that later. Talk about ALL IN pricing. Vehicle price, dealer (stealer) docs fees, pdi, freight, wheel locks, any additions tax, GST. Once you get the ALL IN bill of sale price that you're satisfied with, then you start talking about all the other stuff.

I'm in Stony and talked to 8 dealers around the Edmonton area when I was looking for my 3500 srw dmax. Drove 1 GMC in the city and one Chevy in Stony. After trying to get a decent deal done locally, I ended up purchasing mine at CMP (Calgary) site unseen. I think the closest local dealer was still 7K more. Shopping and doing the research left zero surprises when I drove down to get the truck as I knew exactly what I was going to be getting. All the dealers were offering the same manufactures incentives as well. I was actually able to get another 1000 off the morning I was heading down as gm just happened to email me a customer voucher for buying my wifes equinox 2 months prior.

I also wouldn't worry about how the local dealers service department is going to treat you for not purchasing from them. They want your business. Warranty and maintenance.

j335

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
88-89.5% below MSRP rebate is dealer invoice, this is after the manufacture rebates are taken off or essentially the online build price.
Yes dealer invoice can be found easily enough, car cost Canada is one website you can pay to pull exact amount. This at least gives you a good idea of what to expect before walking in blind...

LUCKY 7

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
some great advise and great tips. My wife is going to buy a new all wheel drive unit maybe this year if not next year and this post will help be get her the best deal

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
some great advise and great tips. My wife is going to buy a new all wheel drive unit maybe this year if not next year and this post will help be get her the best deal

My wife spent 4 months test driving and looking at new suv all wheel drive before getting one.
Drove every brand know

It was good to do that actually

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
Be careful when checking the final invoice, that there are no additional little charges added...... Cost of vehicle, a/c tax, tire tax, gst and pst or hst are allowed. Do not pay any administration charges(it's illegal in alberta for dealers to charge this), but many dealers still try to get away with this .... Use common sense and don't be afraid to ask questions, and don't be afraid to ask for "freebies" like good floor mats and mudflaps. Extended warranty and paint, interior, undercoating protections are also options. If i don't get at least 20% off the msrp of a new vehicle i walk away....

Cdnfireman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Be careful when checking the final invoice, that there are no additional little charges added...... Cost of vehicle, a/c tax, tire tax, gst and pst or hst are allowed. Do not pay any administration charges(it's illegal in alberta for dealers to charge this), but many dealers still try to get away with this .... Use common sense and don't be afraid to ask questions, and don't be afraid to ask for "freebies" like good floor mats and mudflaps. Extended warranty and paint, interior, undercoating protections are also options. If i don't get at least 20% off the msrp of a new vehicle i walk away....

Theres no way you’re gonna get 20%+ off of a new HD pickup unless it’s some bare bones undesirable last model year base model stripper. Or a Fiat.

firstdoo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Theres no way you’re gonna get 20%+ off of a new HD pickup unless it’s some bare bones undesirable last model year base model stripper. Or a Fiat.

I bought my '15 Denali 3500HD srw just after the '16 were being released. MSRP was $87030 plus everything else. I payed $71000 plus everything else. Thats 18.4% of MSRP.

Last edited:

acesup800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I bought my '15 Denali 3500HD srw just after the '16 were being released. MSRP was $87030 plus everything else. I payed $71000 plus everything else. Thats 18.4% of MSRP.
But is is a year old. I did the same thing, and bought in Sept with the manufacturer was offering rebates. No way a dealer is going to give up 15 - 20% off MRSP without manufacturer help. Also, why would they?

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
but is is a year old. I did the same thing, and bought in sept with the manufacturer was offering rebates. No way a dealer is going to give up 15 - 20% off mrsp without manufacturer help. Also, why would they?
easy to get 18% off, but 20% or more is attainable, for sure, especially on the higher priced vehicles

Top Bottom