Buying a 1996 Polaris 680 Ultra. Need info!

KMKjr

Reaction score
I possibly picking up a 1996 Polaris 680 Ultra tomorrow and was wondering what I should look for before purchasing.

Common problems, issues, etc...

Sled visually looks ok in picutres, but has 12,000 km's on it, so thats my worry.

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I possibly picking up a 1996 Polaris 680 Ultra tomorrow and was wondering what I should look for before purchasing.

Common problems, issues, etc...

Sled visually looks ok in picutres, but has 12,000 km's on it, so thats my worry.

unless really cheap stay away fom the triples, especially if your new to sledding, they are alot more difficult to tune properly and keep running properly. i foyund they were alot more tempermental.
it could make a very enjoyable hobby very unenjoyable, broke down, running like crap pos type of unenjoyable.
stay with a twin if possible around the same size. the doos in that era are awesome, and the 670/583 engines seem to go forever if they dont get heavily moddded. i am at around 5000 miles on my 670 and it has never been redone, did the pto side crank bearing last year but that was because of a belt failure not the engines fault.
good luck with your purchase and happy sledding.:d

KMKjr

Reaction score
unless really cheap stay away fom the triples, especially if your new to sledding, they are alot more difficult to tune properly and keep running properly. i foyund they were alot more tempermental.
it could make a very enjoyable hobby very unenjoyable, broke down, running like crap pos type of unenjoyable.
stay with a twin if possible around the same size. the doos in that era are awesome, and the 670/583 engines seem to go forever if they dont get heavily moddded. i am at around 5000 miles on my 670 and it has never been redone, did the pto side crank bearing last year but that was because of a belt failure not the engines fault.
good luck with your purchase and happy sledding.:d

Seems like everything around here in my price range is a triple. Are they really that bad?

I doing a trade for a car I really don't need now, so I'll take the risk, but not if it's gonna make me hate the sport!

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Seems like everything around here in my price range is a triple. Are they really that bad?

I doing a trade for a car I really don't need now, so I'll take the risk, but not if it's gonna make me hate the sport!

some can be a real pain in the azzz, i know the 580s where, boggy in the bottom end, and peaky power band, take it for a good test run and see what you think. if it seems good leave well enough alone and enjoy ridin.

youngpolarisguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I a 600 xcr sp basicly a 680 with smaller jugs runs good, strong sled, rips like a son if a b***h for what it is. Tuning is more of a pain cause you have 3 cylinders but there no that bad at least from what i heard the motors are strong on those, if its in good shape and runs good buy it, if you don't like it then you can sell it. good luck.

retiredpop

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The Ultra 680 was probably the best triple that Polaris ever made. That 12000 on the odometer is miles not km. Do you happen to know what has been done to it as far as engine work? If it has never been opened up you should be doing a top end overhaul for sure. As far as tuning on a triple they are no harder than a twin and they sound so sweet. You just have one more carb to adjust. Make sure the clutches are adjusted properly as they seem to affect performance more on a triple than a twin if they are not set up right. Other than being a heavy machine I can't think of any real bad things about them.

kenvb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
besides the usual compression test
maKE SURE ITS LEGIT..
ask for registration and his ID,.and write down his drivers licence no.and phone the serial number to the RCMP I traded a nice car last summer for a indy,,had registration,,but I didnt ask for the guys ID,took the serial number to local registries office too,,they said its ok,,,so I waited 6 months to register it for the Whitecourt Poker Rally and 2 weeks after it,the RCMP came and confiscated it,said was stolen 3 yrs ago..so I am out a $1500 car a new windshield,,sliders ,,electric starter,battery,and the Rat Basturds wont help me get the car back,said thats not there job,,,,Merry Frigging Christmas RCMP...

so be careful ,,check it out and get there ID... I got it for my kids ,,,think how they feel....

Top Bottom