Burning Oil Kawi Rebuild?

KVF 700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
so my 06 KVF 700 is burning some oil now. it doesnt visibly smoke blue, but the oil does go down quicker than it should. (maybe i need to change it. its been a while. i will try that before anything else). it has 8000km. im going to do a compression test to see what it is like. Also the intake valves go out of adjustment very quickly, this seems odd to me and im scared of what might be the cause.

in the case that the compression is low, would just putting new rings in solve the problem, or do u think it would be nescessary to put new pistons bearings etc etc..

anyone with any advice or past experience would be great.

KVF 700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the engine is the same as a brute force incase that helps.

CountryRider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Do your compression test and if your atleast above 100psi your good.. beast would be about 130-150... And if it is rings i wouldnt just replace your rings cause it will start burning oil again but even faster. go one bore size up if u have to and ask for minimum clearance... Also if you have an oil rad chek your lines i know my buds artic cat i worked on his helbow leaving the engine wasnt tightened and leaked from there....

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What are you running for oil,.. cause I know since I have switched from 20w-50 to 0w-40 I go through about 1/2L every ride. I am going to try the 10w-40 motomaster powersports oil next,.. I don't like running the 20w-50 cause my machine runs hot.

KVF 700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What are you running for oil,.. cause I know since I have switched from 20w-50 to 0w-40 I go through about 1/2L every ride. I am going to try the 10w-40 motomaster powersports oil next,.. I don't like running the 20w-50 cause my machine runs hot.

Have to double check but I'm pretty sure it's 10w-40 synthetic chevron.

KVF 700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Do your compression test and if your atleast above 100psi your good.. beast would be about 130-150... And if it is rings i wouldnt just replace your rings cause it will start burning oil again but even faster. go one bore size up if u have to and ask for minimum clearance... Also if you have an oil rad chek your lines i know my buds artic cat i worked on his helbow leaving the engine wasnt tightened and leaked from there....

If the valvles are not set properly, will it give a false compression reading?

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Yes, set your valves first before compression test,.. also some motors have a decompression assist for starting so you won' get a full reading until motor is actually running,.. so in essence service manual might give you a reduced cranking compression pressure,.. also test with throttle full so your butterfly in the carb is fulling open

What does it say in the service manual I gave you :nono:

CountryRider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Sit your valves properly, then do a compression test... your decomprssor shouldnt be on unless u put it on...and well if it is an automatic decompresser your manual should give you a partial compression spec... all you have to do is hit the start button and see what your running at???

KVF 700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes, set your valves first before compression test,.. also some motors have a decompression assist for starting so you won' get a full reading until motor is actually running,.. so in essence service manual might give you a reduced cranking compression pressure,.. also test with throttle full so your butterfly in the carb is fulling open

What does it say in the service manual I gave you :nono:

lol the trouble with cds is they are small and easy to lose.. lol i think i still have it around though. i had printed off most of it already.

im just brain storming ideas wont havetime to do any fixing for a while

KVF 700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
worst case scenario is a big bore kit :rolleyes:

ha ha im on a limited budget, otherwise thats how id do it.

the more i read, the more scared i get. i guess i wont know until i take it apart, but im having a bad feeling that it will need to have new valves...and then probably have the seats ground, and then new springs and on and on..i guess only time will tell. not sure if i should attempt this myself.

CountryRider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ha ha im on a limited budget, otherwise thats how id do it.

the more i read, the more scared i get. i guess i wont know until i take it apart, but im having a bad feeling that it will need to have new valves...and then probably have the seats ground, and then new springs and on and on..i guess only time will tell. not sure if i should attempt this myself.

idk man.... its a nice project... Do it only if your mechanically inclined... Buddy of mine had an artic cat and a rock in the bottom end took out his crank piston cyleinder and evrything. The cylinder had a slight gouge and he honed it to death to the point where it disapeared... He reused the same crancks and goes on and on... Like i said if ur doing urself take ur time and don't cheap out... Ucould actually save money....

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i have a 750 brute and run 0 w40 year round.... i find after 2-3 rides it starts to go through the oil..... like the visocity burns off..... so i ride her for 2 rides, dump the oil [ with out changin the filter ] ride her 2 more rides, then do a oil change with a filter..... seems if i do it that ways its allways real close to full.... but if i push it for rides it will go through a litre a ride

oh and i seem if a guy does lots of high speed ridin it uses more.... somewhere i read that the twin do it cause the way the pcv vent is set up that is sucks oil into the engine and burns it....

crmxgirl

Reaction score
If you are not comfortable doing it yourself my step son and nieghbor have both had rebuilds done by chuck just outside benalto. Lakeside motorcyle service 403 746-3119.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
x2 chuck is real good.... had my doo there a few times.....

but i do my own quad stuff......

Jay K

Reaction score
Have a look at the valve stem seals after compression check. We had a 750 Brute Force that was burning oil. Pulled down for pistons etc, and found only problem was seals dis-lodged on 2 valves. Not sure why, but no problem since. Really CHEAP fix if that is your problem.

byronkentgraham

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
x3 on chuck. My cousins live just down the hill from him and have had their bikes and quads there lots. The guy is a magician when it comes to small engines

Top Bottom