Bumper not fitting after mounting winch.

Brian D.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if any one has run into issues with the bumper not fitting correctly when mounting a winch on a Sportsman? I used a Kimpex mounting plate for my machine and mounted a Runva winch. The trouble I am having is the heads of the bolts that mount the winch to the plate are stopping the bumper from coming up high enough so I can get the bolts in. Basically, I think I need to cut the flange where the Polaris cover snaps into on the bottom to make space for the bolt heads. Here are a few pics, what do you think? Have I made an error mounting something?

photo 1.jpg photo 3.jpg

camoJoe

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
shorter bolts and/or less washers , would probably help for starters, my winch has hex bolts that threads into winch body with 1 locking washer. not sure if that will help your issue.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
X2 on shorter bolts. You should never use a lock washer on a flat washer cause then you only locking the bolt to the flat washer, and not the bolt to the solid peace.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brian D.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I will take the flat washer out and see where that puts me. I was also considering cutting the mounting plate back from the front by 2-1/2" as it sticks way out past the bumper and there is lots of room on the back side of the winch to move it. If I do that, then the heads will clear no problem. Is there an advantage to having the winch mounted further out vs. moved back a bit?

Brian D.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I took the lock washers off and it gave it just enough clearance to get the bumper on. I also found that if I were to cut the mounting plate back, you wouldn't be able to get at the knob on the side of the winch to put it into free spool.

Top Bottom