Built in brake controller

nast70

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My 09 f250 is flashing ' wiring fault on trailer' periodically. Is there a quick way to test the truck plug/wiring before i tear apart the trailer looking a wiring problem?
It only happens with my 5'er so i suspect it has something to do with the brakes.
Or are these controllers so sensitive that a bit of dirt in the plug could cause it to read a fault?
Anyone else had this happen?

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
My 09 f250 is flashing ' wiring fault on trailer' periodically. Is there a quick way to test the truck plug/wiring before i tear apart the trailer looking a wiring problem?
It only happens with my 5'er so i suspect it has something to do with the brakes.
Or are these controllers so sensitive that a bit of dirt in the plug could cause it to read a fault?
Anyone else had this happen?

my truck did this without a trailer on, did some reading, pulled the plugs apart behind the bumper, dried with air, put di-electric grease in, and it hasn't come back...... it started doing it when the other half was coming back from Golden on wet highways.

nast70

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thats kinda what im looking for. Usually its the simple solution.

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
Clean out any corrosion inside on the terminals or on the wiring... Use electrical cleaner spray and clean up best possible and like teeg said, use dielectric grease inside... It will help seal most of the moisture out from getting into the connector...

sweld

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You can buy a test plug that you plug into the truck plug in. It will light up. If any of the lights don't come on that's where your problem is. Each light will be labeled tail brake etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If it only does it with the trailer on the you need to go through the trailer. The wiring is garbage on most trailers

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
Easiest is to plug the trailer into another truck to eliminate the possibility of the trailer being the problem. It can be the wiring on the truck for the trailer and more than likely right in the connector(corrosion)

nast70

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was going to try that with our shop trailer. But is sporadic and usually while under way

nast70

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Couldnt duplicate the condition with the shop trailer.

nast70

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Blew out the connections on the trailer and truck with a compressor. All good, havent had an issue towing all weekend. Thaks for the input guys

Top Bottom