Building a Tandem Axle Farm Truck?

007sevens

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I get around 36-38 lbs of boost with my ISX, 550 hp 2050 tourque. One way to find out if your jake is working properly is to watch your boost guage when you toggle your jake. First leave your jake on stage 1 and you should get no boost while jaking, then set it on stage 2 and you should get 10 lbs or so boost, then try stage 3, you should get over 30 lbs when jaking hard at 1700 or 1800 rpm.

Well something is wrong cause I get 35 lbs pulling hard and maybe 25 lbs Jaking hard in stage 3.

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
456's with 11R22.5s? You better find a different dealer! You will have a hard time maintaining 80 kmh with that set up. I run 4.30 with 11R24.5 in an industrial application hauling 63500kgs. With 4.30's I am about 1550 rpm at 100 kmh.

I run a manual 18 speed but know lots of guys with the ultrashift and it has really improved, to the point that I am considering one in my next truck. In your application I wouldnt have any concerns at all. The base tranny it self if by far the best on the market and the ultrashift has the bugs worked out.
Yeah running the road ranger road speed calculater this must be a typo on the quote. Lol
Or some amazing bottom end.

With the ultrashift do you think they will perform ok in muddy or soft fields?
Or is it just gonna sit there and flash CA at me?

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know lots of guys using them for logging, no problem lifting 63500 off on a steep slope and pulling down the bush roads.

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well something is wrong cause I get 35 lbs pulling hard and maybe 25 lbs Jaking hard in stage 3.

I get 39-40 lbs of boost when pulling real hard.

Have you had an air to air test?

When I am running empty I have to kick my jake to stage 2, its to harsh in stage 3.

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So this guy is doing it wrong? Lol

https://youtu.be/9_PzM-JFM1g

I have no idea what he is doing, all I can say if your putting a load behind it, nobody in this region will run an Allison auto, heck, gotta take them to Edmonton Ritchies to sell them. The guys running auto's have all gone to Eaton. The local Kenworth, Pete, Star and Freightliner dealers only stock the Eatons for that reason.

Anybody lifting off from a steep slope is going to do some sort of clutch abuse, its what you do when you lift off like that. As for the downhill descent, why isnt the jake activating on the eaton truck? does he have it turned on, is it set properly in the computer?

As has been previously mentioned, the programmer is now the hero mechanic, they can make a turd a diamond.

If your running a body job I think your fine with either tranny, but if your pulling a load, forget about the Allision, only having 6 gears does not work worth a crap.

Cummins610

Reaction score
Allison TC10 or do a manual. Automated Manuals = for highway runners. The TC10 with full power shifts will be a monster in the application you’re looking for. What are they suggesting for suspension? I would stay away from a Hendrickson HAS...

You also mentioned the A26, I heard real good things from dealer guys but don’t know anyone who has one.

Something you need to remember is going with International power will always and forever require dealer level software to communicate with, small shops for more then just basic repairs won’t be able to tough anything.

This is half true for a Cummins also but there programming is more open source and standardized across the full engine line.
When it’s time to delete the Cummins will also have more support, I can delete a L9 or X15 right now with no issues, That won’t be the case with a A26.

Last edited:

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Allison TC10 or do a manual. Automated Manuals = for highway runners. The TC10 with full power shifts will be a monster in the application you’re looking for. What are they suggesting for suspension? I would stay away from a Hendrickson HAS...
Haha Henderson HAS.

Why didn't you like the automated manuals?

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Pretty much everyone I am talking to says they hated their tri drive.

Lots of extra maintenance cost, hard on suspension, hard on tires and hard to turn.

Lots of truth in this?

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Lots of extra maintenance cost, hard on suspension, hard on tires and hard to turn.

Lots of truth in this?

It all depends on applications. If your going with a body job and the weight you want to carry, do you have a choice?

A tridrive will be harder on tires because, its well, a tridrive, the geometry of the rear diffs means you can do nothing about it. Hard on suspension? Frankly in my experience tandem or tridrive, suspension wear the same, I am running the new-neway in both and dont notice a difference in wear and tear. Hard to turn? You have an extra axle, once again obvious geometry.

But back to the original problem, if you want to pack that kind of weight and dont want a trailer, do you have a choice? The extra weight carrying abilities come at a cost. But you also have to remember better flotation, better traction, pack more weight. Pros and cons.

Cummins610

Reaction score
Haha Henderson HAS.

Why didn't you like the automated manuals?

They seem slow shifting and lazy, all that’s happening is instead of you moving the stick and clutch the truck is doing it for you. Full auto like a Allison will be just like a pickup truck, power through all the gear no waiting for the trans to shift then the engine to power again then cut fuel for the shift over and over again.

HAS sucks, poor ride and bushings that are always squeaking. Spec a neway or primaxx

Last edited:

Cummins610

Reaction score
That’s the most you’re going to get, take into account needing to perfectly being able to spread the load over the truck to reach these numbers, legally you’re not going to be able to haul the numbers you wanted earlier

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Lots of truth in this?

If they are complaining about that, they obviously shouldn't be buying one. If you need the capacity and don't want the trailer, no choice. I would say hard to turn is at least partially driver error and not knowing how to drive a longer truck.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Starting to hope this POS international will burn to the ground more everyday. This week a rad hose blew a hole from rubbing, found a steel line about to break from rubbing also. On a 4 year old truck with 80,000km. Fawking pathetic to be having these problems. I wouldn't complain about it on a 10 year old truck, but not something practically new.

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Starting to hope this POS international will burn to the ground more everyday. This week a rad hose blew a hole from rubbing, found a steel line about to break from rubbing also. On a 4 year old truck with 80,000km. Fawking pathetic to be having these problems. I wouldn't complain about it on a 10 year old truck, but not something practically new.

4 years is old on a truck. 80,000km is not. If it is a prostar with a Cummins there are a few hoses to check for rubbing.

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I wonder if international is serious about getting their **** together or if this new series of trucks are going to suck as well.

They did hire one of the head guys from Pacar.........

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
4 years is old on a truck. 80,000km is not. If it is a prostar with a Cummins there are a few hoses to check for rubbing.

It's a durastar with maxxforce. 4 years would be old i'd agree if it had 1,000,000km on it, but with only 80,000km the truck is still new and this chit shouldn't be happening. This truck has given us more problems then the old 89 international that had over 1,000,000km on it did.....

And it's not a unique problem. Everyone says light international specs are problems.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I wonder if international is serious about getting their **** together or if this new series of trucks are going to suck as well.

They did hire one of the head guys from Pacar.........

I wouldn't even dream of a new one if the prices is anywhere close to one of the better ones. A used one is different when you are getting a good deal to help if it happens to be a POS.

Top Bottom