Budget Sled Trailer Floor

InFeRnO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just Thought I would Share a cheaper alternative for preparing an enclosed trailer for the season. Before I touched it, it had a plain wood floor that did not take to well to chemicals or moisture. I used 6 cans of duplicolor under coating on the floor which was rolled on by a honey comb roller (a must). X Glides From Liquidation world (half the price of super glides), Track gripes from flaman trailers, 1500W Heater from PA, Pit Posse race Fuel Can Holder from Flaman and race fuel jugs from specialty. All came to $1200.

Attachments

• sled trailer 001.jpg
    sled trailer 001.jpg
    199.6 KB · Views: 293
  • sled trailer 003.jpg
    sled trailer 003.jpg
    168.3 KB · Views: 293
  • sled trailer 006.jpg
    sled trailer 006.jpg
    245.1 KB · Views: 303

mach123

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have done the same on the floor, but with that heater you better insulate the ceiling or it will be dripping like a tap. I used that enershield rigid 1" foam fits nice under panels, last yr non and man did it ever condensate lots. But nice set up, I will get pics of mine done soon.

posnick

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
looks great. nice and clean. Where did you mount the propane tank for that radiant heater?

InFeRnO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Its only a 1500 W Electric. I figured We are always close to an outlet at the hotels.

mach123

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree on the ellectric heater, get to hotel plug it in for couple hrs and good to go. SWEET

InFeRnO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The only place I could find it was the Canadian Tire in Spruce Grove. Word of advice though when buying, shake the cans really well to make sure the chemical inside sloshes around. I bought one can that did not do this and when I brought it back to the acreage popped the lid off it was like trying to pour hardened Jam into the paint tray. FML so I had to drive back into spruce and exchange it for another can. They are 79$ a piece.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i haven't been lucky enough to find plugins, close enough to where i can park a trailer, so far. i use a mr buddy heater. not sure how your electric heater would work as the trailer will have heavy condensation without some venting, water and electricty usually don't mix well!!! you will have alot of condensation with just the sled in the trailer without any heat source. and you also may need some sort of drain as the bottom of doors and seals will freeze solid, ask me how i know. put silicone spray on all the seals every time now.

Highfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wouldn't electric be better, dry heat unlike propane heat? I run a service trailer with a diesel generator inside and electric heat. Walls and ceiling insulated panes. ZERO condensation.

Looks great by the way!!!

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
all i can say is the trailer is soaking wet after the sleds are put in the trailer, air will be dripping, thus ya need vents, and electricity and water don't mix well for me at least.

i was thinking of using the propane heater till getting to motel then using the plug in at night, less cost to me, but haven't been able to plug in so far unless i run a cord accross the parking lot.

Last edited:

Toyboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
all i can say is the trailer is soaking wet after the sleds are put in the trailer, air will be dripping, thus ya need vents, and electricity and water don't mix well for me at least.

i was thinking of using the propane heater till getting to motel the using the plug in at night, less cost to me, but haven't been able to plug in so far unless i run a cord accross the parking lot.

Used to use a honda generator in the front of the trailer for 2-1500w quartz halogen heaters, just plumbed the exhaust through the floor. We would run the heaters all night so the sleds were melted out and the trailer was nice and warm in the morning to get dressed in. Floor drains help with the water but always left the roof vent cracked a bit. Used Kitchen sink drains in the floor so we could put the plugs in when driving.

thegeneral

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Some of the new trailers com with the coated plywood that carbides don't even put a mark in. Does anybody know where to buy it?

InFeRnO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Got the X Glides from a liquidation place on 132ave between 149st & St.Albert Trail. They seem to be decent quality. I guess we will find out this season.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
looks good but I would say just stain the floor for the price of it. I tried the undercoating thing but once the water gets underneath it the plywood, it tends to bubble and flake off (my experience).

Top Bottom