BS Charity

gates559

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So my daughter brings home a letter from school asking for donations for less fortunate LOCAL family's. They want the donations in the form of gift cards. Some examples are Tims cards and McDonalds etc.

First of all we live in Grande Prairie and there is absolutely no reason why anyone cant make it here. If you cant make it here, just let natural selection take its course and starve to death.

Second of all wtf would someone need a Tims card for, I would think expensive coffee would be the last on there priority list.

rsaint

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sure would be easy to loose a few cards and regift them maybe donation to food banks.

52weekbreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You know I have to laugh and call you Scrooge. I imagine there are still some working poor in GP who would really enjoy a treat they might not otherwise get. Buy a $5 Tim's and $5 McDonalds card so your daughter feels like she is doing something good.

Been to the Kakwa yet?

gates559

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Nah, haven't been to kakwa yet, been working and haven't had time for anything else.

lol I can only dream of being Scrooge. If my daughter wants to do something good she can work and give her own money away. What would I be teaching her if I give her the money and she gives it away.

01Sharp

Reaction score
Christmas sure does bring out the best in people! I'd like to think that it may go to a single mother who can barely afford rent. At least this way you do not have to worry about these "charities" taking a percentage off the top for administration. Grande Praire is an expensive #$#hole, got some of the highest property taxes around. I can appreciate the fact you want to teach your daughter about the value of money, but you come off a little pissy. It is Christmas after all.

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It fairly hard to imagine that everyone makes it as well as you and you are completely missing the whole point of the Christmas season. Wasn't too long ago during a recession that GP was one of the hardest hit area's. Couldn't imagine anywhere else in the world that a trailer is worth $350k. Fact is the lady that serves you your morning coffee and egger probably has a much harder time "making it" there then the guy that sold you that big shinny truck in your profile pic.

Shadam

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
at least the money stays local not going to some imaginary overseas cause ...

I get your point, having your daughter donate and volunteer at the food bank would have more of an impression on her than putting a few timys cards on the pile

DRD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It fairly hard to imagine that everyone makes it as well as you and you are completely missing the whole point of the Christmas season. Wasn't too long ago during a recession that GP was one of the hardest hit area's. Couldn't imagine anywhere else in the world that a trailer is worth $350k. Fact is the lady that serves you your morning coffee and egger probably has a much harder time "making it" there then the guy that sold you that big shinny truck in your profile pic.

So true. Not everone in GP works in the patch. Be more "working poor' unless house prices have a correction.

Nytroman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Seems a bit odd of a choice of gift card to me too. I would rather help pay a natural gas bill or power bill to a deserving family having a rough time with a half dozen twenties than treat them to caffine or calories treat. I guess its just easier though.
It not right nor wrong if it makes you feel good

gates559

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Seems a bit odd of a choice of gift card to me too. I would rather help pay a natural gas bill or power bill to a deserving family having a rough time with a half dozen twenties than treat them to caffine or calories treat. I guess its just easier though.
It not right nor wrong if it makes you feel good

Thanks for understanding what Im saying.
The whole thing is the "needy dont need Tim Hortons and certainly doesn't need a crappy meal at rotten ronnies. Thats not helping anyone.

The lady serving me coffee is making 18 an hour and likely moved here to have a better lifestyle than what she had. Also lives in a town with some of the greatest opportunities in Canada.

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
I know this is gonna sound really stupid but I think we should all have jobs and pay our own way.
I know,I know,that's just silly ,but in my fantasy world everyone(including the natives) has a job and pays taxes and lives happily ever after.

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
The whole thing is the "needy dont need Tim Hortons and certainly doesn't need a crappy meal at rotten ronnies. Thats not helping anyone.

The lady serving me coffee is making 18 an hour and likely moved here to have a better lifestyle than what she had. Also lives in a town with some of the greatest opportunities in Canada.
After reading this thread, and a few of your other post's. You should invest your money into spelling!!!

Heck..... I'd bet your daughter would feel, much better about that. Than giving away your hard earned GP cash, that is flowing like water!!

JMHO

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I am by no means a bleeding heart, but have you ever done something for someone you didn't know just for the sake of it. I don't think the point of the cards is to feed and caffeinate the hungry but rather just a gift for the sake of giving or just because. I have on a few occasions kicked in a couple bucks to the person in front of me at the grocery store who didn't enough for a item or so. I grew up in a time where my parents didn't make a lot or sometimes even enough. I can speak first hand knowing what hard times are and if chipping in for a person's coffee is going to make their day then so be it. Just because someone doesn't make as much money or have a high paying prestigious position doesn't make them lazy.

01Sharp

Reaction score
Do good things and good things will happen to you!

Last edited:

joey

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am by no means a bleeding heart, but have you ever done something for someone you didn't know just for the sake of it. I don't think the point of the cards is to feed and caffeinate the hungry but rather just a gift for the sake of giving or just because. I have on a few occasions kicked in a couple bucks to the person in front of me at the grocery store who didn't enough for a item or so. I grew up in a time where my parents didn't make a lot or sometimes even enough. I can speak first hand knowing what hard times are and if chipping in for a person's coffee is going to make their day then so be it. Just because someone doesn't make as much money or have a high paying prestigious position doesn't make them lazy.

Very well said

Nytroman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Everyone who comments on this is right in their own beliefs. Gates may or may not put cash into charities of some sort like stars, or cross cancer, stollery, over seas causes, buying a ticket from the local community for raffle or whatever. I just think the schools shouldn't expect kids with no income to be asked, assuming the parents are economically stable enough. It is the parents job to PARENT and have the children understand helping each other out in time of need
This thread had nothing to do with not supporting as a whole IMO

Top Bottom