Bruteforce Issue!

Twig

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey I have a BF 750 with snorkels and 28 inch tires. Today it started to make a very loud high pitch squeel/grinding noise out of both clutch snorks. Anyone know what could be the issue plus what colour springs you would use for 28's.
Thanks big time :)

Captjacksparrow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey I have a BF 750 with snorkels and 28 inch tires. Today it started to make a very loud high pitch squeel/grinding noise out of both clutch snorks. Anyone know what could be the issue plus what colour springs you would use for 28's.
Sounds like your belt is too tight. You need to pull the cover off and check it out. I usually run the Dalton OR/BL or the EPI burgundy in the primary on most of the Kawi V twins I clutch. I have both those springs in stock at my shop if you need one?

4byrookie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

It does sound like the belt is too tight.

I would run an EPI maroon primary and depending on what kind of 28" tires maybe a red secondary. I ran 28" Zillas for about 1000km with just the maroon primary and had no problems whatsoever, never slipped the belt or had any power issues.

Twig

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sounds like your belt is too tight. You need to pull the cover off and check it out. I usually run the Dalton OR/BL or the EPI burgundy in the primary on most of the Kawi V twins I clutch. I have both those springs in stock at my shop if you need one?

Where is.your shop? There 28inch mudzillas

Andys

Reaction score
What you are hearing is the primary spinning around while the bike is idling and not moving. It is just tight enough to squeal on the sides of the belt.

The last time I adjusted mine it was with a new belt and was set up on the 'tight' end of the specs listed in the service manual. It has squealed ever since while in gear.

What is important is that you don't let it idle in gear for too much time. If you are warming it up, it's a good idea to do it in neutral then the primary won't spin on the belt. Most wear on the clutches is on the inner most part of the primary from excessive idling in gear.

Twig

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What you are hearing is the primary spinning around while the bike is idling and not moving. It is just tight enough to squeal on the sides of the belt.

The last time I adjusted mine it was with a new belt and was set up on the 'tight' end of the specs listed in the service manual. It has squealed ever since while in gear.

What is important is that you don't let it idle in gear for too much time. If you are warming it up, it's a good idea to do it in neutral then the primary won't spin on the belt. Most wear on the clutches is on the inner most part of the primary from excessive idling in gear.

It is almost a loud enough sound to hurt my ears. Not belt sqeelin, more like high pitched grinding.

youngpolarisguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Maybe somthing with the engine brake let go? gonna have to pull the cover anyway. Not to bad of a job. I think you just need a philips screwdriver and a 10mm socket and extension.

Twig

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the help guys. It turned out to be a worn out primary spring. Installed a maroon EPI spring now.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
if ya want to put in the red secondary i mabe a tool to compress the clutch... cause its 2x longer

Twig

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Think I should put the red secondary in or.just try it like this for now?

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Think I should put the red secondary in or.just try it like this for now?

well with 27's not so much... or mabe even 28 not so aggresive....

i've got 30 inch itp mudlight 1 1/2 lugs and have the almond prim with red second spring..... pulls the same as with the 27's i had with stock springs

quadboy55

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

The primary is always spinning regardless if the transmission is in Neutral or not. The primary clutch on Brute's, Sportsman's and Outlander's is connected to the crank. The transmission is behind the secondary clutch.

What your thinking of is like on the Grizzly and KingQuad where they have a wet clutch between the primary and the crank, and use a constant tension belt.

Twig

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How can you get at the secondary?

quadboy55

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How can you get at the secondary?

Clutch cover off, remove the bolt, remove the secondary, remove the bolts. Then theres 2 sheaves, a helix, and a spring. EPI has videos on Youtube of how to change 'em.

Andys

Reaction score
The primary is always spinning regardless if the transmission is in Neutral or not. The primary clutch on Brute's, Sportsman's and Outlander's is connected to the crank. The transmission is behind the secondary clutch.

What your thinking of is like on the Grizzly and KingQuad where they have a wet clutch between the primary and the crank, and use a constant tension belt.

That's right, I was thinking of the yamaha set up. But explain to me why my clutches squeal in L, H and R but when I flip it into Neutral it stops squealing?

sorry for the hijack

4byrookie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That's right, I was thinking of the yamaha set up. But explain to me why my clutches squeal in L, H and R but when I flip it into Neutral it stops squealing?

sorry for the hijack

your best bet is to pull the clutch cover off(this is quite easy) lift the quad off the ground then run through the gears and neutral and you will see why it squeels in gear but not in neutral. This is the easiest way to understand and is much easier than someone trying to explain.

Twig

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
if ya want to put in the red secondary i mabe a tool to compress the clutch... cause its 2x longer

you have the tool or not? your post is confusing

tomanytoysnotnuftime

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

When the transmission is in neutral the secondary spins also so it doesn't squeal.

Top Bottom