Brand new machine! Which one??

scottsrdscott

Reaction score
I was Going through a mud hole this weekend with my Kodiak 400 in Bruderheim thinking "man I wish I had a little more jam".

I've made the decision to bust out the cheque book :d. I have been thinking about a brand new machine for a while now and the debate has been between Suzuki King Quad 750 and Yamaha Grizzly 700. Which ever one I choose, it will have the power steering. I don't think ive ever read or heard of a person that wasn't happy with either of these machines.

I've already decided on the tires im going to put on this thing (Kenda Executioners of course;)) but Im having a very difficult time deciding on the machine. Please share your thoughts, experiences, opinions and knowledge on these two beasts. Thanks.

By the way, I ride in mud, deep water, trails and hills. Pretty much everything.

QMAO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Both are very good machines. good power very dependable. but it is all up to your personal preference.
If you can, take each one for a ride and see which feels most comfortable to you.
Once you decide which one you like the most, then it will all come down to the price and making out the check.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
take em for a test ride, override switch's on the Suzuki can be a pain, they are on the 700, maybe check the nyroc.com have real good info on different quads, especially their problems.

scottsrdscott

Reaction score
I've ridden both. Both felt large an "high up" compared to my little Kodiak. The Grizz felt slightly higher and larger. I guess im just going to have to get use to that feeling if I want one of these machines. I will definately be more cautious going down steep "rutty" hills because they both feel more rollable than my Kodiak. Keep the input coming. Thanks

Puba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Take a Can-Amm for a ride you may like it.

scottsrdscott

Reaction score
I was intending to stick with a single cylinder machine. Reliabilty is a big factor for me. You never know. I might just try a Can-Am and think "this is the one". Also, this lime green Brute force drove past me yesterday and that thing looked pretty sexy. And that engine sounded just wicked!!

T-GUY1978

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am also in the market for a new machine, and it is gunna be a grizzly 700 forsure with eps

summitx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Were you by any chance riding near duvernay at the Cougar patch yesterday? If so that was my buddies lime green Kawai, bone stock, very nice machine, good power and nice ride.

Puba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We have the 500 xt fuel injected twins in the can-am's and I really like the power and torque out of them. Fuel mileage is great, there a little wider than all the other quads and that makes a huge difference with the ride and their ability to side hill when you need to. I've had all the brands, it comes down to personal preference and how the thing feels when you sittin on it squeezing the throttle. Good luck.

scottsrdscott

Reaction score
SUMMITX: I'm not really sure where cougar patch is but if your buddy was out there on his lime green kawi, that was probably him.

Maybe if i get some rims with an offset to widen out the stance it might make King or Grizz a little more sure footed? Not to mention how good that makes a quad look.

They say the engine in th King is smoother than the Grizz and the King takes to mods real well. Input please

Thanks guys

scottsrdscott

Reaction score
I guess another big factor is that Suzuki of America will allow American dealers to sell to Canadians but Yamaha of America will not.:confused:

PEAK SEEKER

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If your into mud,, go with the arctic cat mud pro. And if your lookin for power,, Arctic cats thundercat 1000 is the one for you.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If your into mud,, go with the arctic cat mud pro. And if your lookin for power,, Arctic cats thundercat 1000 is the one for you.

stay away, a long way away from arctic cat, did i say heavy, slow, no go. check a few sites for feed back. for a thundercat 1000 it is slow, not many have anything good to say about it , buy a 800 bomb if that is what you want. still not sure of bomb visco lock drive system, has had a few problems and is not the most effective system.

scottsrdscott

Reaction score
Ya im not too sure about the visco lock thing. I just want it on or off period. Im not too sure about kawi's diff lock lever either. What if i have to walk my machine through the mud? I'm forced too have one hand on the throttle and one on the lever rather than one on the throttle and one on the rack. Keep it coming guys. Any King or Grizz guys out there? Thanks:)

buck50

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i have a grizz and love it. lots of torque and get up and go. not as fast down the road as an 800 or 850, but on the trail how often do you get up to top speed. i really like the way the diff lock works on my grizz. overall, absolutely no complaints!!!!!

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Guess what if your wanting a little more jam, then stay away from the singles. Nothing worse than a having a king or a grizz and you spend a PILE on it to make it faster and an old brute comes along and smokes you.... The 2010 visco lock is almost instant, a safe rider friendly system that works.
There is a reason canam win 90% of the mud bogs. Nothing wrong with a king or a grizz except you will be saying the same thing in a month...NOT enough jam IMO...

Twig

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was intending to stick with a single cylinder machine. Reliabilty is a big factor for me. You never know. I might just try a Can-Am and think "this is the one". Also, this lime green Brute force drove past me yesterday and that thing looked pretty sexy. And that engine sounded just wicked!!

Get a brute force. No questions asked!

Rocksteady

Reaction score
i love my Grizzly. I came from a AC and it was broken more than it was ridden, but I rode a lot of honda's for work so I imagine they ride similar to your current ride and going from those to the Grizz it may feel a little more spongey and feel some initial body roll but that will not limit your ability to side hill as much as you expect. After getting used to it you won't notice it and will appreciate the comfortable cadillac ride. After a long rough trail ride I still want to keep going but those on honda's 400 and 500's feel exhausted and beat up.

I haven't ridden the Kawi or ridden with one but I wouldn't mind. I also rode the Bomb 650 a while back and was pretty surprised how nice it was.

I also whole heartedly agree that if you like the machines fairly equal the dealer that makes you feel confident in your purchase and in their ability to take care of all your needs plus has a good service record makes the decision a lot easier. I may even talk with the mechanics first just to get a feel for their attitude about helping you out. Also test ride them in the terrain you will be riding in, not the dealers parking lot or back field if you can.

Again I like my Grizz and would buy another one. Hope that helps.

scottsrdscott

Reaction score
Get a brute force. No questions asked!

I really like the idea of the kawi but it makes me not want one when you hear a guy say something like " I had to get the rear seals done, 4x4 stopped working, this thing went, that thing went, started leaking fuel all over the place."

I've just never heard of such a thing from Zuki or Yamy. It would really give me poopy pants if something went when im with 5 buddies and my machine dies and they have to drag my sorry a$$ 30 miles out of the bush.

I also think that I would be quite content with the power of the big singles.

Top Bottom