Brake pads

Brian D.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I pulled the wheels off my 2010 Sportsman 500 tonight after a I gave it a wash, just to check a few things over, and noticed my rear brake pad is done and the fronts aren't far behind. I see EBC makes a SV series, severe duty, sintered pad set for the front but nothing in the SV series for the rear. They do make an R series which is a slightly lower grade pad than the SV series and are referred to as long life, not severe duty. I like to try keep components all the same, especially on a wear item such as brakes. Is there a different or better brand that I'm not aware of that that works well or do you think it would be alright to run a lower quality pad set on the rear?

Last edited:

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Run the cheaper pads, the severe duty will wear out just as fast as regular pads only they also wear out rotor

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think the SV and the R pads are actually the same material. The only difference is the thickness of the pads. I believe the only reason they don't offer the SV's for the sportsman rear is because they're too thick to fit in the caliper.

Since the front and rears don't wear evenly (at least they never seem to for me), I wouldn't worry about having different pads on the front and rear. For the price of pads, don't cheep out on rotors if they're chewed up at all otherwise they'll just eat up any pad you put on them. For me a rotor is close to the price of a set of pads, so if the pads last twice as long, the rotors pay for themselves pretty quickly.

Last edited:

Brian D.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The rotors are in good condition, not rough at all or any large grooves worn in them. I did notice the rears are 95% gone and the fronts are 75% gone, is that the way they usually wear, the backs going first?

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The rotors are in good condition, not rough at all or any large grooves worn in them. I did notice the rears are 95% gone and the fronts are 75% gone, is that the way they usually wear, the backs going first?

Yeah, they wear like that for me too, but I also have separate brake levers for the fronts and rears and I intentionally use the rears way more.

Top Bottom