Brain dead oiler management

storm1972

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I concour, he is a tremendously skilled player, but due to some of his injuries i think its got him very gun-shy, he doesnt and wont go to the dirty areas where they need him to, I couldnt believe it when they announced this today, i figured for sure they would wheel him off..... Big question now is ... where they going to find a solid goaltender and what are they going to use for bait to attract him... fires are going to be burning bright the next 2 days for tambo

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's a bit steep based on what he's done lately for sure, but if he puts up the points like he did a few years ago it makes oilers look really good. I think it was good to sign him, but to high of price. Should of been like 3.5-4 million a year tops.

But he's a lot better deal then horcoff......He makes easily double what he should.

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
One thing to think about...........................

current Oilers management are former Canucks from the "dark" periods of their history.

Things that make you go hmmmmm.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
this signing is the best case scenario... 2 years is a great contract for the oil, only other options were to trade him for a second round pick or let him walk for nothing.

He is highly skilled when healthy and has averaged 55 points per season over the past 6 seasons with 2 seasons in the 70's (77 & 71), a 2 year deal will not interfere with any re signings of the kids, He actually wants to be in edmonton, and if he goes on a run he can be traded for the solid blue liner we desperately need.

Personally I don't see a down side, If he held out for free agency I'm sure someone would have scooped him up on a 5 year 25 million contract.

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
this signing is the best case scenario... 2 years is a great contract for the oil, only other options were to trade him for a second round pick or let him walk for nothing.

He is highly skilled when healthy and has averaged 55 points per season over the past 6 seasons with 2 seasons in the 70's (77 & 71), a 2 year deal will not interfere with any re signings of the kids, He actually wants to be in edmonton, and if he goes on a run he can be traded for the solid blue liner we desperately need.

Personally I don't see a down side, If he held out for free agency I'm sure someone would have scooped him up on a 5 year 25 million contract.

You mean the guy who got 66 points 4 years ago? the guy who has 26, 42 and 22 points in his last 3 seasons? A career high 23 goals? They guy who cant lift his arms higher than his shoulders?

Sometimes its better to just cut the guy loose, let him walk, use the cap space elsewhere.

fountaintirexp

Reaction score
Website
www.fountaintire.com
You mean the guy who got 66 points 4 years ago? the guy who has 26, 42 and 22 points in his last 3 seasons? A career high 23 goals? They guy who cant lift his arms higher than his shoulders?

Sometimes its better to just cut the guy loose, let him walk, use the cap space elsewhere.

where do you get your stats? 66 points 08/09, 22 points 09/10 (22 games), and 42 points last year. He is 6th place for all active right wingers in scoring since the lock out. Take a look at alex burrows if your a canucks fan for a good comparison.

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
where do you get your stats? 66 points 08/09, 22 points 09/10 (22 games), and 42 points last year. He is 6th place for all active right wingers in scoring since the lock out. Take a look at alex burrows if your a canucks fan for a good comparison.

where do I get my stats from? Same place as you, you quoted mine.

His shoulder is shot, he cant lift his arm, he plays like a 6 year old boy. Yup, keep the blind eye going forward.

Are there 2 more different players in the NHL than Hemsky and Burrows? Do you watch hockey?

6th highest RW scorer in the NHL since the lock out? You might want to check your stat supplier. Selanne, Iginla, Perry, Kane, Gaborik, St Louis, Hossa, Nash, Doan, Alfredsson. Should I go on?

Last edited:

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
Problem with that is the most they would have gotten was a mid to late 2nd round pick...

I agree he has been a bum lately but the fact that he was willing to sign a 2 year deal is awesome...does not interefere with upcoming contracts nor cap space...

The lesser of evils...

Wow thats crazy, they should have traded him

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Detriot wanted him for a reason........If they are interested it shows he must be a good player.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
2 years at 5 per year is too much yes, but its two years. ( 2 @ 3.5 would have been better to see) Its way better than signing Booungo for how many years?

At 2 years it also won't hurt the signings of the RFA's when it comes time to sign them. Hemsky is a player you have to hate. You know he is skilled, he has been riddled with injury but could have likely still picked up a longer term contract as a UFA and wanted to stay in Edmonton. He didn't stay at a discount but its not like Edmonton is trying to sign any other superstars at this time that would hurt the cap. He is a player you want to see succeed they way you know he can. I'll live with that for 2 more years.

If Gagner had od not gone on his little hot streak how many people would still be hating on him? I still think it was a fluke he has been doing as well has he has.

Next season, a healthy RNH centering Hemsky and Hall might be a huge turn for Hemsky. He has never had a true good center to play with. Horcoff needs to go down to the 3rd line.

Add a quality power forward to the top six, or a big center, a top 4 D man and a better netminder to replace Bulin and you have a team that is capable if winning half of the losses they had this season. Thats near 30 more points and pouts them in the top of the conferance.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think they need to focus 100% on defense, if they can get 2 top defenseman their current forwards are likely good enough. Plus if they give dubnyk enough starts this year maybe he will be good enough to be a starter next year. That would free up a lot of room.

storm1972

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Detriot wanted him for a reason........If they are interested it shows he must be a good player.

they wanted him in Detroit for a reason.... here is why Pavel Datsyuk - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
You really dont have to know much about the game to realize this guy makes every single one of his linemates better, Hopkins is very similar however lacks the experience yet to complete the chemisty that would happen with hemmer on the same line as Pavel. I would have cut him free to detroit for some of their prospects as they have in their juniors like nobodys business, Detroit is a team that has scouted very well for the last decade. Gibe RNH 2 years and he will be very similar to Pavel, but .... then you will have to cut hemmer free in order to keep the youth on the oil.

trench

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would like to have seen a contract with less up front and more on performance bonuses. If he can live up to his potential, with some better line mates this will be a good deal for the Oilers.

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
With Hall,Ebbs,Nuge,Gagner,Hemsky Gilbert,Smid,Petry, and a few #awesome propects in the minors the future looks pretty dam good. Throw Grigorenko into the mix and the rest of the team can be bought,traded, etc ,the core is there !!!

Two wild cards though.
Can Tambi find a goalie and surrounding players both fast enough and cheap enough.............................???

storm1972

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
With Hall,Ebbs,Nuge,Gagner,Hemsky Gilbert,Smid,Petry, and a few #awesome propects in the minors the future looks pretty dam good. Throw Grigorenko into the mix and the rest of the team can be bought,traded, etc ,the core is there !!!

Two wild cards though.
Can Tambi find a goalie and surrounding players both fast enough and cheap enough.............................???

thats the million dollar question they need a legit number 1 goaltender, Devon isnt bad, but he is by far a starter in my books and Khabi-boozen i think needs to fall back off the wagon, after a tremendous start he looks as bad as Phillys 51 million dollar man lol

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Burrows is on a up swing though, Hemsky was over rated from the start, 10mill is a high price tage for a what is soon to be a suit case player. He should probably get a travel agent rather then a sports agent. Unless oiler staff is thinking he will have a good next season and they can trade him after for some value then maybe a good move. However if he doesn't perform or is injured all season seems like a big waste of valuable cap space.

my 2cents

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Burrows is on a up swing though, Hemsky was over rated from the start, 10mill is a high price tage for a what is soon to be a suit case player. He should probably get a travel agent rather then a sports agent. Unless oiler staff is thinking he will have a good next season and they can trade him after for some value then maybe a good move. However if he doesn't perform or is injured all season seems like a big waste of valuable cap space.

my 2cents

You can't even compare the two players, first off 100% different style. Second, hemsky is 100x the player burrows is, even if he's hurt.

Top Bottom