Boyle/Athabasca Area - Suggestions?

Grizzrider

Reaction score
Trans Canada and Peace River Trails start close to Athabasca. Lots of good riding, from sand to mud to muskeg. Also lots of good areas around Smith and Fawcett Lake. Another good area is south and west of Calling Lake. Miles and miles of M &m....Mud and Muskegg.

winterax

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I should probably start a new thread on this maybe later. The Trans canada Trail Society ( Athabasca Section ) has received about $750,000 for the next 3 years to rebuild the trail between Sawdy ( just north of Athabasca ) to Smith. Mulchers started about a week ago and completed about 20 km up to Tomatoe Creek. We're currently putting together tenders for 2 major bridges and corduroy work up to Tomatoe Creek this summer. Plans include a staging area /campsite at Sawdy as well getting a group organized in the Smith area to start work from the south down. There is a group in Calling Lake that is attempting to connect trails from Calling Lake west to the Trans Canada Trail as well north to Rock Island lake and south to Poachers landing ( following the old telegraph trail ). There are several local clubs involved, all under the Athabasca Regional Trails Association ( created about 2 weeks ago ). The intent is to become one strong group for the area to better access funding for trail development in the area. We have county councellors on the group and they are very, very supportive of whats going on. I'm the chairman of the reconstruction group, as well president of the Athabasca Trail Conservation Society (we're about 20 dirt bikers and 4-5 quadders with interests north of Poachers Landing , don't ask about the name, it involved a lot of rum and a campfire, but we are a registered society ).

Anyways, I will be posting a notice for the AGM for the groups ( hopefully in April ) and hope everyone in the area ( Athabasca / Boyle ) can attend.

We hope in about 5-10 years we have a system as developed and maintained as well as the folks down in the Crowsnest Pass.

shmole

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sounds GREAT!! Now just need a nice trail from Boyle to Poacher's!!
I can see it now....little B&B's on the way.....ahhhhh.

Top Bottom