Boondocker turbo green horn questions.

Mike89

Reaction score
I'm in Alberta (1000 ft) I ride at 6000- 8000 in the mountains (i ride more in the mountains then at home). There is a 09 M8 Turbo for sale I'am really interested in. Set up by alpine in CO, one of Chris Burandts rentals. It was run at 7.5 lbs boost at 7000 feet.

1500ish miles. Has 2010 AC seat, AEM a/f gauge, AFX wrap, titanium bolts, BDX rear skid, and diamond drive with less than 200 miles on it. Just had sled serviced at dealer, clutches gone through, compression test, DD oil changed, and new reeds.

Now...

What will be the difference from running this sled at home campared to the mountains? (fuel, clutching, boost ...) I have access to av gas so i would prob me mixing some, whatever is needed. Is there anything i need to worry about with this sled? Pull and go? (as much as turbos can be) how about the BD box, always scares me, what do you guys think?? I have a single prong egt i would install right away. Please give me your thoughts on this build.

Thanks in advance.

MIKE

Hicktown

Reaction score
Sounds like a solid machine!
I am running 7# boost, I run about 20% race or av gas ALL the time, so around here it's also safe fuel wise. I have put in a set of Dalton adjustable weights in my primary so I can swap around from here to the hills to keep my RPM's right.
Otherwise, just pull and pin it!
Best of luck!

Keep in mind turbo'd sleds so require more maintenance than a typical sled. Well worth it though!

venom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a solid machine!
I am running 7# boost, I run about 20% race or av gas ALL the time, so around here it's also safe fuel wise. I have put in a set of Dalton adjustable weights in my primary so I can swap around from here to the hills to keep my RPM's right.
Otherwise, just pull and pin it!
Best of luck!

Keep in mind turbo'd sleds so require more maintenance than a typical sled. Well worth it though!

i agree with u on the dalton weights, i run the 73 to 81 gr.
now this is just my opinion, but a 20% race mix is not near enough for any wot running at a 1000ft. 100-110 octane mininum

Mike89

Reaction score
Thanks for the insight guys! I have bought a o8 m8 with a Garrett turbo set up by Quatom Powersports in Red Deer area. :) It has been running at 7000 ft with 6-6.5 boost with 30% av 70% pump fuel. (not that the av gas was needed) I will prob turn the boost down to about 4-4.5 at home (1000 k) and run 50% av 50% pump.

MIKE

mtnaddict

Reaction score
Mike I tell my experience. I am running a 2010 m8 with stock 2010 head and PG push I am running 8 psi at 1000ft it pulls about 8200-8250 rpm. I have 200 miles on this setup with no deto running 100% av gas I am not trail riding tho mostly running coulee bottoms and some shelterbelts and wooded areas. If you are trail riding then yea you might want to dial the boost down some. Good luck!

Sparx

Reaction score
2010 M8 with a 2009 head, I ran AV gas for the first time this past trip in Revy. On Streeter St. with 2 ft of powder I set off the octane code when running 10lbs boost. Would get 5lbs boost at half throttle on the trail. If you take it easy up the trail your fine at that boost level. This was around the 2000ft mark for the area. If I ran low elevation I would do straight race and keep it around 5lbs boost and work my way up until I set the code off slowly. Nice feature to have as long as you give it a chance to work, I think if you run too high of boost too quick with not enough octane the sensor might not catch it in time. Better to start low and creep up to your desired boost level. I now know I'm okay on AV in the mountains at 10lbs, just gotta take it easy on the way up at first :d

MSmith

Reaction score
2010 M8 with a 2009 head, I ran AV gas for the first time this past trip in Revy. On Streeter St. with 2 ft of powder I set off the octane code when running 10lbs boost. Would get 5lbs boost at half throttle on the trail. If you take it easy up the trail your fine at that boost level. This was around the 2000ft mark for the area. If I ran low elevation I would do straight race and keep it around 5lbs boost and work my way up until I set the code off slowly. Nice feature to have as long as you give it a chance to work, I think if you run too high of boost too quick with not enough octane the sensor might not catch it in time. Better to start low and creep up to your desired boost level. I now know I'm okay on AV in the mountains at 10lbs, just gotta take it easy on the way up at first :d

You can't keep turning it up on the M1000's like you can on the M8. M1000's don't have a detonation sensor, if you try creeping up like that and don't know how high you can go, your probably gunna blow it up. Cat only started putting detonation sensors in the M8's in 2009, nothing prior to that, and the M1000's never have had a detonation sensor.

Sparx

Reaction score
First time anything M1000 related to this post was mentioned was when you mentioned it....

I have one as well, I know the risks involved with that machine running boost. That's one reason why I upgraded to the sled I have now. Let's keep this thread on topic...

Top Bottom