Boggies

500efisks

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am trying to understand why manufacturers put boggies on rear suspensions. I am considering taking all 6 of mine off my sled and saving about 9 lbs including the mounts. New deep snow sleds do not use them these days to save weight and when I consider how much the boggies actually support the track (compared to the area the track contacts the hyfax) I question the benefit. Manufacturers put them on to reduce friction on surfaces with minimal loose snow but I question if the benefit is outweighed by the added weight gain. Remember the area the wheels contact is very small in comparison to the rest of the track contacting the hyfax.Anyone have real world evidence to back the pros and cons of this. Or is it because people like the pretty colored wheels. :d
Maybe I just started a debate here!

Last edited:

Ancient Sledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I took all mine off and saved 7.5 pounds. Works fine but I don't trail ride. On the flats your hyfax would be toast in no time at all.

gotboost

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yup if u trail ride leave them on:nono: or pay $50 buck every 2 weeks u call i have mine off but i built it for the mountains

Crowfoot

Reaction score
The wheels reduce the friction on the hifax when there is little loose snow. I take mine off, but install ice scratchers to provide ice or snow spray into the hifax and provide the cooling need to reduce the wear on the hifax. I put the scratchers down on the trail up the mountain, when is deep enuf snow I put them up. You have to be careful to put up before you go in reverse or get bent over. I would say if your not going to put the scratchers leave your wheel on, you'd be suprised how fast you can melt your hifax, then start wearing away your rail.

Dean10

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My buddy bought a XRS 800r and it was missing the inside wheels. We didn't notice they were not there untill our first ride, sliders didn't even make renshaw cabin.

The geometry of the track coming around the front of the skid made the track friction really bad in the middle of the rails, those little 1 or 2 pound inside wheels are placed specifically to break the natural rythym of the track, and reduce and distribute the friction on the sliders.

After he installed new inside wheels, the sliders lasted the whole season, and the next.

Rocky Mountain Kamakazi

Reaction score
I only have th 2 rear wheels...i notice during spring is the time when they wear the most but i put scratchers on and it made a difference...on my digatron it dropped the water temp 30F with the scratchers.

Haggis

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you want to do it right install Hyperfax and scratchers - no wheels no problems.

500efisks

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My 78 TX 340 did not have any boggies at all and I never replaced the hyfax in 6 years and many many miles of riding. It did have a cleated track though so allowed snow to get on cleats easily.

raustincat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
leave wheels on... work out a bit and loose 10 lbs and your sled will be safe and you will be in better riding condition plus u can ride trail and mountains without having to wrench on ur sled... my 2 cents

NosRX1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you want to do it right install Hyperfax and scratchers - no wheels no problems.

I just put hyperfax on the old 1ton, the old set lasted 5 rides with 4 forward boggies on it, and 2 rear.:d

NosRX1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just bought them but haven't installed them yet but they will be going on there as soon as I get home. Yeah I paid 268.00 for the set not sure if that was good or not never really shopped around.:d

Top Bottom