Boats and Booze

Switch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Is it legal on a pontoon boat to say have a nice refreshing beverage other than the driver?, any one know.:confused:

eclipse1966

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Is it legal on a pontoon boat to say have a nice refreshing beverage other than the driver?, any one know.:confused:

This is what I was told recently and given here in BC

Since boats operate on public waterways, liquor may only be consumed in boats or other water craft if the vessel is licensed or it is being used as a residence. In this case, residents and their guests may consume liquor in the cabin or on the deck of their boat.
Having open liquor and drinking liquor in open vessels, small water craft, or vessels which are not equipped to be living quarters is not allowed.
Operating or assisting to operate a vessel or having the care and control of a vessel while impaired by alcohol or with a blood alcohol level more than .08 (eighty milligrams of alcohol in one hundred millilitres of blood) is a criminal offence. The same rules which prohibit driving while impaired apply to vessels.
Persons using smaller vessels for a special event, such as a day charter by a social club for its members, may obtain a to allow for the sale and service of liquor to the participants.
Cruise ships and larger motor vessels that ply scheduled routes or travel from one destination to another may be licensed if they provide a service that, while primarily marine oriented, is consistent with the services provided by other sectors of the hospitality industry (for example, luncheon and dinner cruises).

unquote

Puba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If bogger were around he'd be able to tell you.

plio7

GBCA Member
Reaction score
according to fish cops at wabamun, you are ojnly permitted alchohol and boats with bathrooms, and a bunk. and only while anchored....no open alchohol is allowed on any personal vessel while under power, unless a proper license/permit is obtained......and good luck with that....lol

Wingwalker

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I got told that if you have a toilet and a sink with running water you can consume alcohol while at anchor

plio7

GBCA Member
Reaction score
I got told that if you have a toilet and a sink with running water you can consume alcohol while at anchor

i have actually heard that too, i believe thats what bogger was told. but i was told by a fish cop a bunk is required. this is taken from the trasport canada web site

Consumption of Alcohol In most provinces:
Alcohol may be consumed on board the pleasure craft only if it meets all of the following conditions:
  • The vessel has permanent sleeping facilities
  • The vessel has permanent cooking facilities
  • The vessel has a permanent toilet
  • The vessel is anchored or secured alongside a dock
Check with the appropriate provincial authorities (OPP for Ontario, SQ for Quebec, RCMP for all other provinces and territories) for carriage restrictions.

polarisdragon800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya I've heard that it's not allowed unless it's a house boat type. But it depends on the fish cop that catches you. If they're having a bad day I could see them pulling out their rule book but if your just having a beer or two I couldn't see it being an issue. What about tour boats that have onboard bars? But going out on the lake and getting tanked is frowned upon. Lol

plio7

GBCA Member
Reaction score
tour boats have commercial linceses, liquor permits, and the big one.....insurance... for what they do, and have very strict rules that apply.

that said i have always had a a few beer on my boat, and as long as your not out being obnoxious, rowdy and advertising the fact, i think your fine. i have been stopped before, and had them ask me a few questions but have never had them search me or try anything along those lines

Top Bottom